PDA

View Full Version here: : AstroMart AP For Sale: Astro Physics 6" F12 Starfire 152 OTA w/Acc's

DavidNg
14-05-2012, 04:17 PM
http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=777335

" ___________________________________ ______________________
I am selling my Astro Physics 6" F12 Starfire 152 optical tube assembly,6" F12 Triplet (oil) Apochromat, it comes complete with Astro Physics 50mm right angle finder with illuminated reticle, 2" Mirror diagonal with 1 1/4" adapter, 2 1/2" extension Adapter, 2ea tube ring assemblies and original Astro Physics Carrying Case. I had been advised that this tube assembly was sent back to Astro Physics many years back for service and at that time the 2.7" focuser upgrade was added. The overall condition of the OTA and accessories is very good, no visual defects on any of the optical surfaces, cosmetic condition is also very good with a few very minor small scratches and paint chips due to normal use and handling. I purchased this with the intention of setting it up for occasional use but because of some recent physical limitations I am not able to pursue that avenue, it is located at my office in Sunnyvale, CA. I am willing to safely pack the telescope for shipment at no charge but would prefer local pick up. Reasonable Offers will be considered. Thanks for viewing. Don "
___________________________________ __________________________

This scope is for priced at $6500 or near offer from US. Looks very reasonable to me, however the trouble of buying second hand oversea.

cheers
David

The Mekon
14-05-2012, 08:36 PM
To me $6500 seems a bit high. These scopes are huge and require a large mount. Later F9 EDTs will outperform them. There is not much special about these "Super Planetary" models. Perhaps a bit like Unitrons, impressive to look at, but not very functional in use.

HCR32
16-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I agree you'll have to pay somewhere between 500-700 and add the import tax and it's going to run into about an $8000 excises. Don't let the AP brand push you to spend more on a scope that's worth less. I'd rather get a brand new TEC or Tak.

anj026
17-05-2012, 12:09 PM
For visual use this doublet Apo would be excellent and somewhat more manageble than the f12 AP.

http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Telescopes-/Refracting-Telescopes-OTA/Apochromates/APM-LZOS-Telescope-Refractor-152-mm-f/1200-mm-2.5-ZTA1.html

I believe the lens will perform similar to an FS152 Takahashi. The export price is just over 5000 euro. If you buy one please write us a review.:)

Andy

gregbradley
22-05-2012, 06:50 PM
AP F12 would be a specialty scope- specifically designed for planetary viewing.

APM152mm doublet for 5990 Euros seems way overpriced. Doublets can be good (Tak FS152)
but at the end of the day they are not APO and therefore have problems with chromatic aberration (FS152 did and that was fluorite doublet not ED). It would end up being a very good visual scope and probably 2nd rate for imaging. You need a triplet design to get rid of the aberrations properly. I have never seen an APM image that matches AP or high end TOA images. They are often very good but lack that last little bit ( Dietmars 9 inch TMB may be the only example that does but thats a $40,000 scope or so).

The APF12 would not be good for imaging. F12 would be slow as. Too zoomed in on a smaller slice of light.

Bang for buck TEC140 is the king. A proven performer, its a bit underpriced for the quality of it.
There are plenty of excellent example images.

Tak TOA scopes are also hard to beat with the TOA150 being a really high end performer if heavy. Lots of
accessories are available as well.

As far as I am aware the pecking order on APOs hasn't changed much if at all at the high end.

Its still AP at top, Tak and TEC next, APM. Perhaps Officina Stellare refractors are similar to APM (same lenses different body).

Large aperture APOs are largely a thing of the past from the top 3 (they can't get reliable supplies of good glass).
TEC may do more TEC180's. But not at present. I knew this would happen and is one reason I decided to get a TEC180. I knew they would not last as Yuri is following in Roland Christens footsteps and he has been there, done that, glass companies screw these guys over and make it next to impossible to produce their high end scopes.

Greg.