PDA

View Full Version here: : Any Beatles fanatics here?

04Stefan07
14-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I am only 21 and I am a huge Beatles fan.

I am not a fan of modern music, there is a good song here and there but I believe all the best music came out years ago. Just curious if there's anyone here who is a massive fan of the Beatles?

I wish I could go back in time to the 60s and see them live, that would have been unreal!!!

Also vote for your favourite Beatles at the top. Mine is John :) and mention your top 10 songs, mine are below (in no particular order)

1. Revolution
2. Here Comes the Sun
3. I Want to Hold Your Hand
4. A Hard Day's Night
5. Tomorrow Never Knows
6. Hello Goodbye
7. Helter Skelter
8. Love Me Do
9. Come Together
10. Drive My Car

Impossible to choose a top 10 in my opinion

koputai
14-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree Stefan, modern music is pretty woeful, however, I reckon the Beatles are probably the most over-rated band in history.

To each his own!

Cheers,
Jason.

bojan
14-05-2012, 12:29 PM
YES :thumbsup:

supernova1965
14-05-2012, 12:38 PM
HOW could anyone not be a fan:screwy:

04Stefan07
14-05-2012, 12:39 PM
This could be said about Michael Jackson and Elvis. The Beatles changed modern music, they had a different style and incorporated many genres in their music. Example, the song "Tomorrow Never Knows" from the album Revolver was a psychedelic kind-of song using many new technologies to create the song. "Helter Skelter" from the White Album an early hard rock song, etc.

I found it amazing how their music developed throughout their career.

erick
14-05-2012, 12:50 PM
George :thumbsup:

jjjnettie
14-05-2012, 02:41 PM
I love the Beatles. :)
I have many favourites from all through their career. Their White Album is my most played.

My favourite all time song would have to be Black Bird.

Stardrifter_WA
14-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I tend to agree Jason, although I do have the entire collection of the Beatles, both on Vinyl and CD, and think they are great, I don't believe that they are the best ever and are a little over-rated, as many bands often are. However, that is rather down to personal tastes anyway. It is just as well we don't all like the same music, otherwise we may not have had the diversity of music we have today, which is great!

And Stefan, I think your top ten is pretty good, but you missed Let It Be! My favourite songs of theirs is Revolution (the heavy "single" version and not the version off the White Album) and The Weight :)

My favourite bands are Black Sabbath and Nazareth (Scottish rock band). It doesn't matter how many times I listen to these bands, which is most of the time, I never get sick of them. :D But then, I also have eclectic tastes in music and like pretty much anything other than Jazz, Opera (mostly because I just don't get it), Techno and Rap.

jenchris
14-05-2012, 05:52 PM
I grew up in Southport (near Liverpool) in the 60s. My brother used to frequent the cavern before it was famous.
The Beatles were as Jason says muc over rated - when they brought out love love me do, they couldn't play more than a few chords.
They only learned because they were popular - they were driven by drugs and potential sex.

Over rated indeed - in fact the Barron Knights were a better group because they could take off all the others flawlessly.

ballaratdragons
14-05-2012, 06:33 PM
So damn easy it's not funny.

I absolutely hate the Beatles. Always have.
I can honestly say that there is not one Beatles song that I like.

But I like some of the songs from George Harrison's and Ringo Starr's solo careers.

McCartney makes me cringe!

Yep, each to their own :thumbsup:
But don't be so Naive to think that everyone should be a fan.

blink138
14-05-2012, 06:35 PM
personally i think it is almost "unhealthy" to be stuck on one particular band or genre, especially at the ripe old age of 21!
when you say you are not a fan of moderm music, what exactly do you mean?....... lets face it that is a rather sweeping statement, and i am sure there are "modern" bands or musicians whom are greatly influenced still by bands like the beatles
i love just about every sort of music....... you just have to connect with it and stike that chord.
pat

04Stefan07
14-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I didn't think I would be getting heaps of negativity in my post.

"the Beatles are overrated" or people hating the Beatles.

I do like many other bands, I just thought I would share my favourite of them all and hopefully talk about them.

I am proud that I like older music because everyone I know my age except a few people do prefer older music.

If you do not like the Beatles or have some negativity towards them please do not post anything.

04Stefan07
14-05-2012, 07:08 PM
What is so bad about liking old music at the age of 21? I was brought up with many older music bands...

ballaratdragons
14-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Ahhhh, I see.

We have no right to post our thoughts if they disagree with yours?

You started the subject, expect views from both sides.
It would be a very boring thread if EVERY reply was 'Yes I am a Beatles fan'.

GeoffW1
14-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi,

I LOVE old R&R from the late 50s, 60s, and early 70s.

I'm Beatled out completely, because they've been so over-exposed (not so much over-rated I reckon, different thing). They do have songs which are quite difficult to perform yourself on stage, but I'm not sure what that signifies. Talent perhaps :rofl: Maybe it is the difference between the studio and the stage, like it was with the Beach Boys.

You have to examine it critically. They mastered 3-part harmony I think, fairly early, from their grounding in Hamburg - "This Boy". They understood the principles of writing pop songs very well, eg having a good hook - "Anna", or "Norwegian Wood". And they weren't bad instrumentalists either. We don't need to talk much of McCartney there, but study Lennon's rhythm guitar in "Cry for a Shadow", or Harrison's lovely little solo in "All my Loving". If you are a Harrison fan, look at "Roll over Beethoven", in which he is the front man, voice and guitar.

There were a lot of other good bands then, really good, most especially the Hollies (oh dear, Tony Hicks), but the Beatles definitely got there first :thumbsup:

Cheers

Ausrock
14-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I think you might mean "Carry That Weight".

"The Weight" was written by Robbie Robertson and originally recorded by "The Band" in the late(ish) 60's. A cover version was used in the soundtrack of Easyrider and Barnsey actually managed to record a passable version of it a number of years ago.

As far as The Beatles are concerned................most of what GeoffW said sums it up. The fact is that when coupled with George Martin, what they recorded broke a lot of new ground for it's time.

Ballarat,

Mate, I'm sorry but what's behind this comment is disturbing............"I absolutely hate the Beatles. Always have.
I can honestly say that there is not one Beatles song that I like.":question::(:confused2:

Stardrifter_WA
14-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks Chris, I got those mixed up. The Weight, by The Band is an awesome song.

Oh well Chris, we can't all like the same things. I was brought up on the Beatles, so do like some of their music, but then, I do have a mixed taste in music.

Cheers Peter

FlashDrive
14-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh dear ... while my guitar gently weeps :rofl:

Flash :rockband:

ballaratdragons
14-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Are you serious????

What is disturbing is that you think I have to like Beatles Music. Why?
I simply don't like it.

And why call be Ballarat. My name is written in every post of mine. Has been for 7 years! Everyone else uses my name.
I am not 'Ballarat'. That is a town in Victoria.

'Mate', if you like the Beatles, good for you.
I don't. My choice. Live with it.
FFS!

jjjnettie
14-05-2012, 09:15 PM
LOL
Beatles / Rolling Stones
Canon / Nikon
Holden / Ford
Greens / Conservatives
Religion / Atheism
Country / Western

There's no converting either side (unless there's money involved.) LOL

jenchris
14-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Pachelbels Canon has more to do with modern pop music I think

Ausrock
14-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Peter, you're right.....we can't all like the same things. ;)

I was learning guitar from '62 on, playing Beatles songs in my early high school bands...........have I liked The Beatles? Yep! Do I like every song they wrote? Nope.

Ken, I was very serious and I suggest you re-read what I wrote because no where did I imply that you (or anyone) HAS to like The Beatles, or any other band for that matter.

ballaratdragons
14-05-2012, 10:10 PM
:lol: I never liked the Rolling Stones either JJ :P

And no, I didn't like the Bay City Rollers either. Or does everyone have to like them too? :question: :rolleyes:

Stardrifter_WA
14-05-2012, 10:23 PM
OIh dear, I am a Conservative Atheist, who likes nothing more than Rolling Stones into the back of my Ford pick up whilst listening to Western music, and having my picture taken with a Nikon! :P

ballaratdragons
14-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Oh, and no, I'm not an Elvis Presley's fan either!

Who does he like they all say :lol:
Here's an example from one of the other 60 or so Music Threads in here: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=700600&postcount=2

Stardrifter_WA
14-05-2012, 10:53 PM
I have to agree with ANYTHING by Pink Floyd! The others are not too bad :D

04Stefan07
15-05-2012, 12:42 AM
I was hoping I could start a discussion about the Beatles with others who like them but clearly that is not happening.

ballaratdragons
15-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Yes it is. Several people have responded in your favour. Go back and read. :thumbsup:

Ric
15-05-2012, 02:04 AM
I'm not an overly big fan of the Beatles but I do enjoy some of their later music.

I actually prefer Georges music after the band broke up.

As for Paul and Wings. :scared: :scared3:

Cheers

erick
15-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Yes, George after the Beatles :thumbsup: All Things Must Pass :thumbsup:

Grab the boxed CD set for some extra jams and for some great acoustic demo versions.

But, also check out the Love album for the extra verse of "While my guitar...."

jjjnettie
15-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I like a few of their songs. But.....like Yoko, Linda should have been kept far far away from a mic.

jenchris
15-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac - I was up all last night wondering if there was a dog.

Trouble with growing up in Liverpool in the 60's was that you were immersed in the stuff and if you didn't like it, you were on the outer.

Even now if I say oh I'm from Liverpool, the answer is usually, 'oh where the Beatles came from' - and even more usually it's an American- who has little idea of the Geography of anywhere outside his home state.

A lot of peripheral groups like Freddie and the Dreamers and Swinging Blue Jeans and Baron Knights lived within a few miles of me, I'd see them on the bus on the way into town.(Before they got mildly famous) Freddie Garretty was the local swimming bath attendant!

You don't have to like your neighbours. I preferred theEverly Brothers.

Baddad
15-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Stefan,

It often happens, that when you introduce music as a subject, responses can become quite strong and passionate.
The reason is that it is an emotion inspiring field.

I grew up in the Beatles era. I saw them live in Adelaide.
In high school students wrote Beatle's song lyrics on desks. Some were modified like:
(To the tune of "I saw her standing there" 1964)

Well she was just 93
And you know what I mean
And the way she looked was way beyond repair
So how could I dance with her mother
When her dad was standing there.

I was too much of a geek to care much about the Beatles or any music in those days. However, I now have quite a large collection of their songs.

Among my Beatles favorites:

A World Without Love
Baby You're A Rich Man
Cant Buy Me Love
I Wanna Hold You're Hand
If I Fell
Lovely Rita
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Penny Lane
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

"When I'm 64" has a comical meaning for me. A teenage girl in the 60's thought the words were "When I'm 6 foot 4." She used to sing it in unison when the song was broadcast on the radio.

She was bewildered as to why we all laughed at her singing. Someone spoke up and there was a bright red face.

My Son and Daughter have both been to Abbey Road. I will follow.

I like the Beatles but I do prefer other music. Beatles songs were written to be simple and commercially driven. It was a successful era for them.

Cheers

csb
15-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I enjoy picking who is singing when I listen to The Beatles on the radio - Is that Paul or John? And I voted.

Some of those responses were not passionate from the music - just plain simple grumpiness.

That Ballarat guy is one of the worst grumps on this site. Why you get all twisted and bring down this easy goin' thread with you grumpiness?

You actually spoil my enjoyment of IIS because so often you choose to post your grumpiness. No point and no need for it here.

Steffen
15-05-2012, 06:07 PM
What is happening? What have I missed? Ken is spoiling IIS? Do parallel universes exist?

Befuddled,
Steffen.

hotspur
15-05-2012, 07:15 PM
I think the best thing that ever came out of Liverpool was Hornby 'O' gauge trains(I have some),although I did enjoy the 1974 Bond theme "Live and Let die" by one of the band members-forgot which one though.

blink138
15-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I did enjoy the 1974 Bond theme "Live and Let die" by one of the band members-forgot which one though.

very apt for this thread it was paul mcartney and wings i think
pat
I did enjoy the 1974 Bond theme "Live and Let die" by one of the band members-forgot which one though. Today 04:07 PM

ballaratdragons
16-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Fair enough, a Grump? I OFTEN post Grumpiness? I bring the site down do I?

Because I say I don't like the Beatles. Seeing as how I spoil your enjoyment I will go then. Good bye all.

I will get other club members to look after the camp threads.

jenchris
16-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Talking about music is fun isn't it?
Some people get so wound up, they go out and shoot their heroes to get fame.
I know John Lennon wasn't a great role model, but he didn't deserve 1/2 an ounce of lead in his ear.

I mean even Paul McCartney only got Heather Mills and he deserved garoting with a D string.

No one seems to mention Ringo Starr - (which as a name has no merit whatever) - which is probably to his good and he can disappear into the woodwork as he richly deserves.

I think George was the only real person in the group and the poor sod died in pain.

So there,you have raised my non interest to the point that I've made a comment.

*A World Without Love* wasn't that Peter and Gordon?

Baddad
16-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Ringo Starr was the voice behind that children's show, Thomas The Tank Engine.

Just a bit of Beatles trivia.;)

Cheers

FlashDrive
16-05-2012, 09:39 AM
:whistle:Anyone for Abba ... oooooh please Flash don't start on this group .. :whistle:

:D

Barrykgerdes
16-05-2012, 09:46 AM
I hate these polls with no option for "can't stand the lot of them!"

Seriously though I think they were very talented at what they did even if it was not my kind of entertanment

Barry

jjjnettie
16-05-2012, 01:41 PM
:) I've listened to the White Album twice since this thread started.
"Happiness is a Warm Gun" is firmly embedded in my skull and playing on a loop.
I might have to watch the Trololol Guy to remove it. :lol:

blink138
16-05-2012, 02:14 PM
quote /"Some of those responses were not passionate from the music - just plain simple grumpiness."

csb........ erm you can passionately hate a band can you not? leave other peoples opinions alone!
telling somebody off for (you perceiving him) being grumpy all of the time(which i am sure he is not) is like telling somebody off for being dileriously happy all the time!
pat

joe_smith
16-05-2012, 02:51 PM
The Beatles were one the first commercial bands that got promoted in a massive way, they had the looks and the sound even if was only 3 chords, The best music in the whole world only needs 3 chords LONG LIVE BLUES real music and I agree when they say "Clapton is god" ;) it would of been unreal to see the Beatles, stones, and the young Clapton playing their first gigs. They put the telecaster in my blood :) best song from a Beatles member I reckon is live and let die, the gunners nailed it in their cover though. Yeah the Beatles were pretty good, even if the real Paul died or so the myth goes :P BTW Clapton got the nick name slow hand because when he used to brake a string the crowd used to slow clap while he fixed it, which I've read was alot. I guess I'm as passionate about Clapton as you are about the Beatles. What we have in common is total dislike in modern music, but i do like the odd guitar driven modern songs.

Music speaks what cannot be expressed, soothes the mind and gives it rest, heals the heart and makes it whole, flows from heaven to the soul.

that above quote is all the matters as-long as the music you like makes you feel like this, then it dosent matter what anyone thinks, the music has done its job.

Stardrifter_WA
16-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Sorry, but I like ABBA! I think I must be ther only one though :question: I particularly love the song "Eagle".

R kevin
16-05-2012, 07:15 PM
So many song which one to choose, lets go this Hey Jude, and George as my fav. Got my now 17 year old daughther hooked on them a few years ago and she still rates them as her number 1 band.

Stardrifter_WA
16-05-2012, 07:31 PM
To be able to play the songs of a band over and over and never actually get sick of hearing them, that is the sign of a great band! For me, it is Black Sabbath, it doesn't matter how much I hear their songs, i just love 'em. I have listened to them regularly for 42 years, since their album Paranoid was released. Their ealier stuff was the best. Ozzie Osborne rocks! :D

Colin_Fraser
16-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I liked the Beatles when I was a kid. They put out some good music. My wife has a box set (records). I still enjoy listening to them when they are on the wireless.

John Lennon was is my favourite. I have his Imagine album.

PS
Its a shame you copped a serve from a senior member. I read your post several times and still cannot see where you asked "What do you think of the Beatles?" or "Why do you hate the Beatles"

Don't let it discourage you too much :thumbsup:

Stardrifter_WA
16-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I bought the original vinyl set when it first come out, but interestingly, there was one album missing; Magical Mystery Tour (arguably their best album, yes, I realise most will say White Album, which was equally great). I later bought the CD collection and the Magical Mystery Tour was included. I never found out why it wasn't originally included in the vinyl set.

Steffen
16-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Most Beatles songs didn't age very well for me and I find them hard to listen to nowadays. However, there are some timeless hits for me, such as "A Day in the Life", "Eleanor Rigby", "In My Life" or "Across the Universe".

Cheers
Steffen.

jjjnettie
16-05-2012, 08:30 PM
They crossed many genre's during their career. You would really have to choose your favourite song from each different style. :)
BTW I didn't vote in the poll because I liked them all equally. :)

04Stefan07
16-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Fantastic song!!

04Stefan07
16-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I know right! I was just hoping to share what I like with others here, this will be the first and last thread of talking about a random topic!

I was going to ask if anyone was a fan of Star Trek but I might cop it lol.

Stardrifter_WA
16-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Ask away Stefan. Don't stop contributing, that would be sad if you did. Don't worry about what others think, we all have different opinions, that is natural. And, don't be surprised if the thread takes a different direction, as it, pretty much, always does.

As for Star Trek, I love it all. TOG, TNG, DS9, Enterprise and Voyager. Have all but TOG on DVD. My favourite is TNG. I like the fact that the Captain rarely leaves the ship, not like in TOG where all the senior staff leave on a mission. I could never understand that :question:

Cheers Peter

avandonk
16-05-2012, 09:39 PM
I find this rather disturbing that such passions about third class music can be in contention on an astronomy site!

For me it is Bach or Paganini and far more.

Bert

Ausrock
16-05-2012, 10:37 PM
MMT was not an album, it was a double EP set which is why it was not in the original box set of albums although the set did include a "Rarities" compilation but none of the "classic" singles.

Stardrifter_WA
16-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks Chris. I knew it was originally released as a double EP with 6 tracks, but only in a few countries in the world, including Australia. I have never seen the EP version myself. However, it was also released in the US as an LP with 11 tracks (I know this as I have the LP on vinyl, which I had to specially import separately to the collection). I think this may be the reason it wasn't originally included in the Vinyl set and was later included in the CD set, however I do not know for sure. I do not know if it was ever released in Australia as an LP.

Cheers Peter

Stardrifter_WA
16-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Hi Avandonk. It may appear to be a strange thing on an astronomy site, however, it is call General Chat for a reason, as there are other avenues on IIS to talk about all things astro. I know when I am with astronomy friends we don't just talk about astronomy. Usually we talk about and try to solve all the world's problems, but we never succeed :sadeyes: I know I just about live and breathe astronomy, however, it is also interesting to talk about other things too.

And yes, Bach is great, but I can't say I have ever listened to Paganini.

Cheers Peter

jjjnettie
16-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Hands up who owns the red vinyl edition of Sgt Peppers??

AstralTraveller
17-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I won't vote because it's a bit like asking me which limb I prefer. [Cut to Red Dwarf when Lister has to have a limb amputated to get rid of a nasty virus "Nooo, not my right hand. I do all my favourite things with that."] I also think that the whole was much greater than the sum of the parts. Just listen to their music in and out of the band.

It's true that the quality of their music improved markedly through their career (chalk and cheese actually) but it's not fair to suggest they couldn't play at the start. They had spent years playing 6-8hrs per day so they could play. They couldn't write at that stage, something that George Martin told them they had to improve. The consensus seems to be that the early success was more about them personally and the society they were in than the music per se. However they did learn and for a few years they produced gold.

I also don't know why a liking of one type of music should debar someone from liking another genre. Personally I like Bach, Bruckner, Bartok, Brubeck, Bruford, Beatles, Beach Boys, Big Bill Bronsky, Battlefield Band and the Bonzo Dog Whooppee Band (but not Black Sabbath) all at the same time.

Now, ...... my favourite colour is green. Anyone want to argue with that?? :P

Octane
17-05-2012, 01:50 PM
You don't like Black Sabbath? Get out! :P

H

Baddad
17-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi David,

You like GREEN? You're weird. I can't stand green. Anyone who likes green just does not belong here. :lol::lol:

Blue. Is the colour that rules. :):)

Upgrade your colour tastes.

Cheers (Hee Hee Hee)

PS I was desperate to find a subject to put down

jjjnettie
17-05-2012, 02:50 PM
no no no, green is no good. It's not ripe if it's green. Red all the way.

:) I saw Black Sabbath during their Heaven and Hell tour. They were loud.

joe_smith
17-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I agree Sabbath are unreal. I grew up blasting out their Riffs on my cheap strat copy lol, the early Ozzy/Sabbath stuff still makes me smile :)

FlashDrive
17-05-2012, 03:10 PM
On'Ya Bert .... :rofl: :rofl:

Flash :lol:

csb
17-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I googled Beatles red vinyl album - it can be had for 22 - 65 GBP.

I suspect you may have one, JJJ.

Sooooo (if it doesn't give too much away ;)) when did you buy it? When released perhaps?

AstralTraveller
17-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Well in politics I'm green and red, but that's a topic for another time and place.

Some mates saw Sabbath in '72-'73 (when we were still into them) and said they were _loud_ but not as loud as Thorpie and the Aztecs at Bulli Community Hall. They wondered how the building survived. No wonder Billy killed the fish.

marki
23-05-2012, 10:11 PM
At the risk of being hung, drawn and quartered I never liked them either. Their music lacked substance and really only filled the needs of a bunch of screaming teenage girls, oh and the record company. When my aunt died I inherited a whole lot of beetles albums (not sure why) including the white album, Sargent pepper etc. Tell you one thing about those old 33's, they have excellent flight characteristics, just as good as a frisbee :P:D.

Mark

csb
24-05-2012, 04:20 PM
YOu go too far, Marki! One person on the nay side has already had to say "Hello, Goodbye" ;)

And are your typos intentional sneers!!? :)

marki
24-05-2012, 07:20 PM
aBSOLUTELY and nay you will never get rid of me.

Mark

Ric
25-05-2012, 12:20 PM
We need a new smilie for Marki.

It needs to have a big wooden spoon. ;) :D

taminga16
16-10-2014, 09:30 PM
I am not a fan, in fact it is my feeling that if the plane didn't crash the Beatles would have only ever gone as far as Germany.
Greg.

Neil
17-10-2014, 08:16 PM
The Beatles are in my opinion the Best band ever, my favorites are,.... all of them. Clear skies.:thumbsup::D:):rofl:

GeoffW1
17-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Hi,

The Beatles are an interesting study. I think there will be many PhD's done on them, say 200 years from now. So what did they have exactly?

There were many bands around who were technically as good or better musicians at the time - The Who (yessss), The Yardbirds, Brian Wilson (although McCartney was up there)

There were many many better singers as a group - The Hollies, CSN (although McCartney was up there)

There were better lyricists - Dylan, Paul Simon (although Lennon was up there)

So what was it? I think it was primarily timing. They had a good song-writing team in-house, good and complementary voices, technically competent musicians, and not forgetting George Martin too. Enormous.

The time was just right. I'll dare to say it could have been someone else. So why wasn't it? I'll go further, it was Martin and McCartney.

Eh? Eh?

GrahamL
17-10-2014, 11:36 PM
fair comment Geoff :thumbsup:

They were all pretty good at writing and fair musos , after parting ways all had ongoing success in some measure,not many who try ever pull that off !

Renato1
18-10-2014, 04:27 AM
The good thing about Revolution is that when the film clip for it shows up every now and then on Foxtel's MusicMax - unlike the lousy video clips of other bands of that era and of the next 10 years - the Beatles didn't skimp. It's quality is so good that it looks like it was filmed last week.

My favourite Beatle post break-up was Ringo - "Photograph" "It don't come easy" "Your Sixteen" "Oh my my".
What a talent.
Cheers,
Renato

astroron
18-10-2014, 10:16 AM
I am confused at this post:shrug:
Greg could you please be more specific.
Cheers:thumbsup:

GeoffW1
18-10-2014, 10:34 AM
That's the crash that killed Buddy Holly?

astroron
18-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Are you stating the fact Geoff, or asking the question,like me. ;)

GeoffW1
18-10-2014, 03:08 PM
:rofl: Ron,

Note there is a question mark at the end. Yes, I'm asking if that is the crash in question. It seems to be the only one that fits the bill as to timing and logic, you reckon?

BTW I was taking a look at Richie Valens too, how very young he was when that happened. If you go to listen to "La Bamba" though, it is almost always the version by Los Lobos, not him. Valens' version sounds a bit rougher.

There is a theory that "Twist & Shout" was a rework of "La Bamba" originally.

We await the light.

Cheers

astroron
18-10-2014, 04:58 PM
I would have phrased it differently, by you saying *That's the plane crash*
Sounds like it is in the affirmative,even though you put a question mark at the end.
Sounds like a bob eachway.;)
Anyway thanks for the other info :)

trek1701
19-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Tough choice, but if I could only pick one for the desert island it would have to be Abbey Road.

AstralTraveller
19-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I've heard Ringo say that he thinks the second side of Abbey Rd was their best work. It's tough to choose but he could be right. MMT also rates very highly in my book.

Ausrock
22-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Damn, how does one really pick a "best work" for The Beatles? On virtually every album there were absolute "masterpieces", although they didn't necessarily make it as hits. Then there were the songs that were only ever (initially) released as singles that were outstanding.

I remember when I was learning guitar between '62 and '64ish, my teacher (a respected jazz musician) told me to buy the sheet music to A Hard days Night as he regarded the songwriting ability as exceptional.

:rockband: