PDA

View Full Version here: : Dissapointed and depressed with glasses

Morepower
12-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I have been short sighted since I was 16yo, now 46yo. I hadn't bothered with glasses while I could still pass my licence eye test, which i just recently failed and got glasses. "My" stars and planets used to be big and bright when I looked up ! Now they are just pin pricks of light, i'm not a happy camper. I now never wear them when looking at the night sky, only when driving. Anyone else experience this ?

blink138
12-05-2012, 12:09 PM
er......... they are supposed to be pinpricks of light!
you are obviously not used to having good vision, and whats worse a misconstrued idea of vanity has kept you from wearing them...... admit it!
in my thirty one years as a dispensing optician i have seen just about everything
even the mildest of myopia (short sighted) is quite debilitating for your vision, for instance a minus half dioptre (-0.50) really gives good vision uncorrected for a distance of 1 metre, after that things go gradually more blurry
minus 1 dioptre is a half metre good vision uncorrected etc..
you need a dose of the "good" vanity morepower, if you have to wear glasses you may as well look fantastic in them!
glasses can and do make people look younger, how much of a statement you want to make with them is personal
personally for me if it wasnt for vanity, i wouldnt have a business and there is nothing wrong with that
pat

Barrykgerdes
12-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I have also been short sighted since I was about 22. I got glasses and never looked back. It fixed my sight till about 46 and then I was able to give the glasses a miss due to the normal ageing process.

By the time I was 60 I needed glasses for reading but otherwise no real problem

At 70 I found the need to wear my long distance glasses for night driving.

At 75 I need one pair to work on the PC and a stronger pair to read a book. This is also quite normal as the eye's focal range deminishes. My next glasses will be bifocals - reading and computer and a pair for driving and reading the instruments.

I have also been deaf (industrial) for 30 years and wear hearing aids.

Wearing glasses and hearing aids has never been a problem and allows me to carry on a normal life.

Barry

jjjnettie
12-05-2012, 02:13 PM
The only time I don't wear specs is when I'm swimming or sleeping. :)
Got new optics the other week and I'm revelling in the sharpness of the stars and being able to see detail in all that is around me.
After 42 years of wearing them, I feel naked without them on. :)
I am baulking though at getting bifocals, for me that means it's the beginning of the end. I'll officially be "old". LOL

supernova1965
12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
HEY JJJ I have had Bifocals for 6 years and I am not old:P

blink138
12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
hi barry you can get the computer and reading in a single lens, it saves the need of wondering "were the hell did i put my readers" or computer glasses
ask your optician about an "occupational lens" very easy adaption and gets rid of the very thick lensed readers
pat

jenchris
12-05-2012, 02:29 PM
My eyesight improved as I got older too and I love seeing pinpricks of light - and a lot more of them too!
I can also use the scope without bothering about my specs clashing with the eyepiece.
Scuba diving is now great and snow skiing is amazing, I can read the slope much better. I don't have to worry about my specs breaking when I'm trail bike riding now either (if I come off).
I still wear safety glasses for pistol shooting, but at least I can see the sight and the target together without having to wear some odd combination specs!.
The police don't give me cr*p for not wearing glasses for driving now - the last time they picked me up I hadn't had time to change my license and the lady(!) policeperson said "you're not wearing glasses".
I said, "no, I don't need them."
"Your license says you have to wear the glasses prescribed by your optician."
"I am. My optician prescribed me no glasses and I'm wearing them."
She got a bit annoyed and issued me with my speeding ticket and told me to get a letter and get my license changed !

kustard
12-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I only wear my glasses when driving and watching tv/movies. When I sit in front of the computer I don't wear them and every 15-20 minutes I look away from the screen and try and focus on objects at various distances, this helps to keep the muscles active.

GeoffW1
12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Note to self - don't upset Jen :lol:

I still have an issue though with specs, I need them on when looking up to pick out Constellations, especially in the suburbs, but hate trying to look through the EP with them on. Of course I can focus there without them, but then it's off-on-off-on, where are they......lost them :mad2:

Do I need particular different EPs?

Cheers

Rob P
12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I worked at sea, keeping a look-out, for years with the other watchkeepers complaining about the binoculars always being out of focus. (And no, never had a collision during my years of blindness :lol:)

It was only when I returned to college in my mid-twenties and sat at the back of the class and realised my colleagues were correct - I was short sighted and had been for an unknown number of years. Not impressed with the specs got in the way of everything, even though it was great to be able to see in focus; but who wanted to go out with a four-eyed geek!!! :(

Finally traded up to contacts this year - very slender; no irritation - and best of all they don't have to be removed for observing!!!

I can also see my team at the other end of the soccer pitch - my passing game has improved considerably! :rofl:

Barrykgerdes
12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Gee my eyes aren't that bad yet. I just got a stronger pair for doing the crosswords in bed because the poor light made it hard to discern some letters. They allow me to get close to the work but I can't use them for anything else.

I get my eyes tested every year and still use the same prescription it is just that I asked the optician for a special strong pair for close reading in bed.

Barry

Barrykgerdes
12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
When I first got my glasses at 22 I wore them all the time (even went to sleep in bed with them on sometimes) I had my licence listed with glasses. However when I got older I did not need the glasses all the time and went to the registry office and did their eyesight test at which I did not need glasses to pass easily so I had the "glasses" removed from my licence.

I can still read all but the bottom line on the test chart without glasses.

I have never tried pistol shooting but I was pretty deadly with a .380 revolver in the army. Loved adding features on the face of the target at 25 paces and then put 6 or 7 shots through the neck so the head fell off.

Barry

jenchris
12-05-2012, 04:56 PM
I used to wait for it to turn sideways (9mm snap shoot) and just fire one shot, slicing the plywood edge on.
The gunnery officer used to give my hell. I ended up in the butts picking up trash more than once.
He was kinda thrilled though, I put the team on the national league top ten while I was in training (three years running).

I gave up shooting for the navy when he wouldn't let me go to Bisley
I had sniper on my records (even though I was an engineer).

I was captain of the ISU team in Belmont for about 5 years.

Shark Bait
12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
I was doing a dry run at a local park with my solar filter setup for the Venus Transit when a small group of people asked what I was up to. It turned out they were taking their Mother for an outing. She is 100 years old has full mobility as well as perfect vision! :thumbsup:

Her Son and Daughter both need glasses.

They all looked at the Sun through the Baader filtered scope. It was the first time in 100 years that she had ever seen it with her own eyes.

Hope my eyesight can last the distance but I think I will end up with specs. I can only see half the faint fuzzies galaxies that another BAS member can see in the Virgo constellation when using the same equipment.

Nico13
12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Yep get some of those they are great, had mine for years.
You don't have to look down your nose to read the screen like you would with normal multi focals.
Have the normal multi focals for everything else.:D

Nico13
12-05-2012, 05:31 PM
I saw the other day while looking at eye pieces the Teleview have diopter and also astigmatism correctors great for you and I also have the same problem but no good for others with you unfortunately.