PDA

View Full Version here: : Kson refractors any good?

traveller
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone, has anyone got any experience with Kson products.
From what I can find, they are made in China and like most products, their focuser would be the first upgrade.
They are selling here for $800 for an 102mm f6 (http://www.australiantelescopes.com.au/telescopes/refractor-telescopes/buy-kson-ekinox-ed-doublet-apo-apochromatic-102mm-4-inch-refractor-telescope-ota-on-sale.html).
Fast and affordable, but what's the catch?
I looked on CN, but not much luck.
Thanks,
Bo :thumbsup::help::thanx::confused2:

dannat
11-05-2012, 10:47 AM
anyone can make up there own brand - they also have some orthos - i think you'll find the scope ok - will be in the same league as any short-ish ED doublet, will be some colour but good value - if you contact some of the chinese manufacturers its an eye opener to see what some of the goods cost you,
there was a guy on CN selling them for 700 ish -

when you factor in focuser upgrade plus flattener - looking for a secondhand good scope can be just as cost efffective

traveller
11-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Daniel,
I was talking to the guy on CN, he is selling the OTA with case for $550 now. I don't know what glass is used and CA.
My brother is pricing a few ED OTAs for me at the moment in China, so if he comes across any good prices, I will let others know so we can aim for a group discount.
Bo

traveller
11-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Apparently there was a test report on 102mm f6 in the April 2011 edition of Aust Sky and Tel, page 80.
If anyone has a back copy, I'd be interested in borrowing it or have a scanned copy of the report.
Thanks again,
Bo

keni
11-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Bo,
I just PM'd you with a quickie review of mine.

Cheers,
Ken.

traveller
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ken, great info!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MrB
11-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Ken, could you post publicly for anyone else that may be interested?
Cheers

keni
11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Here you go....MrB

There's no indication of the type of glass.On the end it just has ED High definition Optics.
Looking at Kson's website I don't think it's ED/APO just ED glass.

I have had it out a few times and am very impressed with the view through it.
It performs well with all my EPs even my TV 4mm Radian.
I have taken some shots of the moon with it and my 600D and am also impressed.
I don't have any sort of flattener/reducer but it still works very well.Of course having the moon in the centre of the FOV helps too.
I should mention that Colin had a Moonlite focuser fitted that definately helps
but I reckon the glass is very good going by the views and the sharpness of the moon photos.
Quite a few didn't need any sharpening.
I haven't noticed any CA either.Then again I haven't done any longer exposures yet.

MrB
11-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Cheers mate :thumbsup: