PDA

View Full Version here: : Kson refractors any good?

traveller
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone, has anyone got any experience with Kson products.
From what I can find, they are made in China and like most products, their focuser would be the first upgrade.
They are selling here for $800 for an 102mm f6 (http://www.australiantelescopes.com.au/telescopes/refractor-telescopes/buy-kson-ekinox-ed-doublet-apo-apochromatic-102mm-4-inch-refractor-telescope-ota-on-sale.html).
Fast and affordable, but what's the catch?
I looked on CN, but not much luck.
Thanks,
Bo :thumbsup::help::thanx::confused2:

dannat
11-05-2012, 10:47 AM
anyone can make up there own brand - they also have some orthos - i think you'll find the scope ok - will be in the same league as any short-ish ED doublet, will be some colour but good value - if you contact some of the chinese manufacturers its an eye opener to see what some of the goods cost you,
there was a guy on CN selling them for 700 ish -

when you factor in focuser upgrade plus flattener - looking for a secondhand good scope can be just as cost efffective

traveller
11-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Daniel,
I was talking to the guy on CN, he is selling the OTA with case for $550 now. I don't know what glass is used and CA.
My brother is pricing a few ED OTAs for me at the moment in China, so if he comes across any good prices, I will let others know so we can aim for a group discount.
Bo

traveller
11-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Apparently there was a test report on 102mm f6 in the April 2011 edition of Aust Sky and Tel, page 80.
If anyone has a back copy, I'd be interested in borrowing it or have a scanned copy of the report.
Thanks again,
Bo

keni
11-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Bo,
I just PM'd you with a quickie review of mine.

Cheers,
Ken.

traveller
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks Ken, great info!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MrB
11-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Ken, could you post publicly for anyone else that may be interested?
Cheers

keni
11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Here you go....MrB

There's no indication of the type of glass.On the end it just has ED High definition Optics.
Looking at Kson's website I don't think it's ED/APO just ED glass.

I have had it out a few times and am very impressed with the view through it.
It performs well with all my EPs even my TV 4mm Radian.
I have taken some shots of the moon with it and my 600D and am also impressed.
I don't have any sort of flattener/reducer but it still works very well.Of course having the moon in the centre of the FOV helps too.
I should mention that Colin had a Moonlite focuser fitted that definately helps
but I reckon the glass is very good going by the views and the sharpness of the moon photos.
Quite a few didn't need any sharpening.
I haven't noticed any CA either.Then again I haven't done any longer exposures yet.

MrB
11-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Sepe535
10-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Hello, Ken you mentioned that Colin was able to add Moonlite focuser to his scope. I currently have an APO80_C Triplet that i recently aquired fron CN seller and moonlite says they dont have anything that would fit. Help please!!!!!

gaseous
14-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Slightly off topic, but I bought a Kson 1.25" OIII filter earlier in the year and the threading was abominable - needed a thin strip of plumber's tape around the thread (a really professional look) to stop it dropping out of most of my EP's. Hopefully their OTA's are better. Good luck.

chris lewis
21-12-2016, 03:51 PM
I have the Kson 102 ED doublet and the Kson 80 Triplet APO. The triplet comes in the blue carbon whilst the 102 ED comes in a nice pearl white.
Both have FPL-51 glass and the dual GSO fosuser.
Build quality is very good on both.
The 102 ED is a F/6 and would be best described as a 'semi-APO'. There is CA on brighter objects and field curvature on the periphery, as one would expect with a short F/L ED doublet. On axis resolution is good.
The 80 Triplet is true APO with no Ca on bright objects and only a hint on on intra and extra focus on bright objects like Venus. The triplet gives a flat image.
This FPL-51 triplet has slighty superior CA control and image quality then my now sold Orion Synta ED 80 mm FPL-53 doublet.
The 102 ED makes a good dark sky scope and works well w. mags to around 100x
The 80 mm Triplet make a better planetary and lunar scopes and is best for AP.
Both cost me the same price which was around NZ $800 each which was the wholesale price.
I also have the full range of Kson EP's with the 2 in. Kellner 32 mm and the 5x various Orthos. They are 48 degrees FOV. These are good quality and far superior to my old GSO Plossls.

Chris

cometcatcher
22-12-2016, 01:32 AM
Old thread, but Kson ED refractors seem to have been discontinued from their lineup. I have the ED80 F5.5 doublet. It's okay for visual, but is a bit problematic for photo use. The single speed R&P focuser has image shift. The optics flare on bright stars. Probably a reasonable eclipse chasing telescope though.

Sepe535
28-12-2016, 06:36 PM
Looking for help, regarding Moonlite focuser for my scope.

It was mentioned that Colin was able to add Moonlite focuser to his scope. I currently have an APO80 C Triplet that i recently aquired from CN seller and moonlite says they dont have anything that would fit.

Looking for some feed back and Help please!!!!!

gaa_ian
04-06-2018, 08:01 PM
This thread goes back a bit now.
But just wanting to let you all know that the Kson Triplet ED-80 Refractors are still available, from my Store @ NightSkySecrets.
http://www.nightskysecrets.com.au/telescopes/refractors-ota/kson-80mm-triplet-refractor-carbon-fibre-apo.html
It is the most cost effective ED-80 Triplet you will find in the Australian Market I believe.