PDA

View Full Version here: : How to store mirror

Thiink
09-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I need to store my mirror while I take my scope apart for some little things I want to do to it. What would be the best option to keep it nice and dust free? I tried to find a tupperware container big enough for it and the secondary but didnt have any luck.

Blue Skies
09-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Depends on how big it is - sounds like it's bigger than 8"?

Anyway, regardless of size, the way I was told to do it (I had to store a 17.5" for several months) was to get 4 (or more) small wedges of soft wood and gently place the mirror upside down on them. That way the mirror is facing down so no dust can settle on it and only the very edge of the mirror should be touching anything. You could clear a space in a cupboard to do this.

The secondary is easy - just make a rough tube out of paper, close it at one end then slip it over the secondary holder - no need to take the mirror out of the cell.

Merlin66
09-04-2006, 06:25 PM
For longer storage, like in my case 10 years!!! I used 3M strippable film, great stuff, just pour over the front of the mirror and it forms a "plastic" skin. Lasts for years, and when removed the optics are as clean and perfect as there were previously!! Some guys in the US actaully used it to clean mirrors, by catching all the dust etc when it's removed.

asimov
09-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey, that's not a bad idea Merlin thinking about it!? Interesting.

Blue Skies
11-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Gotta be careful there - if the coating is not very good it could strip right off as well when you remove the film.

Merlin66
11-04-2006, 01:50 AM
In my experience, this has never happened! I think the coating would have to be in a really shocking condition; then why store it like that, get it re-coated first.
Mind you, I haven't tried it on an ATM chemically deposited silver coating!!!

Roger Davis
11-04-2006, 09:09 AM
There are two types of this strippable films. The 3M one is okay, just don't get the bio-grade collodion. It WILL affect the surface.