PDA

View Full Version here: : re slow site

astroron
09-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I visit quite a few astronomy sites, and as speed goes this is the slowest one,it can be upto three or four minutes to go from one forum to another or even one post to another.
If I click on my favourites iceinspace it can take upto five minutes to engage! As prof Julius Sumner Miller used to say, Why Is It So?
No Angry Retorts Please, just sensible answers.:shrug: :thumbsup:

fringe_dweller
09-04-2006, 02:31 PM
no problems with d/l speed this end Ron :confuse3: sites been really great ever since they moved servers :)

nightsky
09-04-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree it is slow, it takes about 1 to 2 minutes to reply or goto another Forum and I am on DSL 512/126

iceman
09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm on ADSL 512/128 and it's only taking 5-10 seconds (usually less) between pages. If the page hasn't appeared in 10 seconds I'll usually click again.

nightsky
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Iceman I'll try that :)

astroron
09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I am on dial up and as I said I have been to quite a few other sites and they are not as slow as this one.
I have just clicked onto nightskys post from the forums list and it took at least 45 seconds to conect me to it, is that considered normal time for dial up?

[1ponders]
09-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm on 256 and after clicking the refresh button it took me about 12 sec to reload.

astroron
09-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Also it somtimes gets to the site and then sits blank for quite a considerable time, which the only salution is to hit the stop or back buttons and start again

[1ponders]
09-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Down to 6 sec each for "new post", "todays posts" and back to "re slow site". I do notice from time to time it's a problem, mainly at work. It can be atrocious from there, some sites are good, but others are terrible.

[1ponders]
09-04-2006, 04:04 PM
c'mon Ron get that dish put in. Get with the times mate :lol: You won't know yourself. That little laptop I lent you should be big enough to do the job :thumbsup:

nightsky
09-04-2006, 05:49 PM
In all fairness to the web site, it can depend on your server and also how busy the site is, it took me 50 sec to load for this reply, that's after hitting stop and refresh ,so it slow even with my dsl connection

Gargoyle_Steve
16-04-2006, 04:06 AM
8 secs from hitting <reply> button to the point where the page was loaded and I could start typing this. Forget these show offs on broadband Ron, I'm on dialup too - Ozemail (which is now a sub-let of iinet) whom I have always found to be a fairly quick ISP, and admittedly it is usually after midnight when I log on, but I have not had load speedds as slow as you seem to be getting no matter what time of day I log in here.

However .. knowing where you live, having spent some time during my Telstra career here on the coast actually doing maintenance on your local exchange there, etc, speed can be very dependent on what kind of copper wire cabling is in your area (ie feeding from the exchange to yoruy premises) and unless it's been upgraded in the last few years there was a fair amount of the old lead shield / grease filled cables around there.

But you did also say that you get better speed on other sites which would seem to indicate the problem is not "local cable" derived - are we talking MUCH better speed from other sites, or "a bit quicker"?

Gargoyle_Steve
16-04-2006, 04:10 AM
PS: The 3 minute, etc, times you are talking about Ron to me indicate a serious problem somewhere - double check the actual speed that your modem is successfully logging into your ISP at, although again it depends on the speed difference you get betwen this site and others. If the difference is vast, and all other websites load so much faster then this site then something very weird is going on.

Stu
18-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Hope the guys don't get annoyed at me for saying this, but try disabling the "Show Images" box in your profile under "Thread Display Options". You will still be able to read everything except the images won't be downloaded (they are the biggest drain on bandwidth). Then at least you can speed up your viewing until you get broadband or find the problem.