PDA

View Full Version here: : How our brain makes connections...

lacad01
08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Not sure if the title encapsulates what I'm trying to express here, but ever wondered how our mind jumps from one thought to another and makes "join-the-dots" type of thought processes??:question:
I guess my example is pretty trivial but interesting nonetheless...so here goes...
A few weeks ago, the tv was on and the movie "Sixteen Candles", starring Molly Ringwald was on (someone I had a teen crush on in the 80's ;)). Anyhow it got me thinking - what's become of Molly nowadays, so I looked up IMDB and happened upon her role in Stephen King's "The Stand". I remember seeing the tele-movie in the 90's, so hired it and saw it again...then I thought, wouldn't it be good to actually read the book...bought the book from Amazon Kindle and now I'm interested in reading more of Stephen King, someone who's books I've never read before or thought I'd be interested in reading....
Anyhow, the point to the thread was to wonder if other people have started a hobby, or read a book, or whatever from similar experiences :)

Octane
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
It happens all the time to me with music. I research everything that graces my ears, and, I end up going on related tangents and find other joyous things. :)

H

Baddad
08-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Adam,

You have an enquiring mind. Its simply that.
However, you are in the company of the great scientists.
It is what makes scientists tick.

Its also what makes asto-nuts tick. (If I may be so bold as to use that term)

I saw a video recently. Average people were asked what makes the Sun shine?

The inept answers were sad:
"er some kind of chemical reaction?"
" Burning gases?"
"I don't know"

There lies the difference Adam, An enquiring mind as opposed to, well,
average????

Not to put them down, Its just that they are not blessed with similar genes. They often are good people, but un-inspiring.

Cheers

Stardrifter_WA
08-05-2012, 05:34 PM
It would be scary to think about how my mind works; I just put it down to the Chaos Theory! :D

Baddad
09-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Why Chaos Theory, Peter?

Cheers

traveller
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I started with photography, then made a jump to visual astronomy now wanting to have a crack at AP, so things come in circles for me :)

Stardrifter_WA
09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Because it is all over the place, Marty :sadeyes: Since suffering a stroke last year, it hasn't been easy. Chaos seemed appropriate, it forms pattern that make sense but seem chaotic.