PDA

View Full Version here: : Leslie Peltier's original farm location

stephenb
05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
For those who are familiar with Leslie Peltier and his magnificent work Starlight Nights, I have for some time now, been trying to establish the exact location of his original family farm on the outskirts of Delphos, Ohio.

Very little information is on the internet which divulges the location of his family farmhouse which forms the centerpiece for his classic autobiography. The most valuable piece of information is on page 19 of his book - a beautifully drawn 'birds eye' sketch of his farm from a century ago, complete with all the landmarks he tells in his book.

Without naming the exact address, I believe after some time I have located the area on Google Maps.

The first image is the scan from his book. Image two is a screenshot from Google Earth, and the third image is with some identifying features marked. I am convinced that this is the exact location of Leslie Peltier's iconic farm. This is the only location on the Auglaize River in Ohio which match the landscape features: the Quarry is now quite clearly a dam. The Woods still exists in it's distinct shape. The old roads (marked yellow in the image) can be seen when zoomed in on Google Earth. The swamp area next to the river still appears relevant today. Peltier mentions "Our farm is located in Northwestern Ohio, about twenty-five miles from the Indiana line" ( I measured 27 miles). "Half a mile south is the Pensylvania Railroad" (I measured 0.45 miles). And the nearest down is 4 miles west - just as Peltier states in his book.

Thoughts?

Stephen

MrB
06-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Looks good to me. Tho I have no idea who Leslie Peltier is ;)
Will have to do some reading.

Satchmo
06-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Great work , Steven. Peltiers house still seems to be there in the patch of forest though the barn is gone. The well worn track to where the observatory was, is still visible. I loaned my copy of Starlight Night's out many years ago. I must get a new copy from Sky Publishing .. A great read from a simple man who had a very poetic view of the heavens who contributed enormously to the variable star database and observed with nothing larger than a 6" F8 achromat !

http://www.shopatsky.com/product/Starlight-Nights/books

stephenb
17-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Hopefully I'll be travelling to the US this year so I aim to head out to Delphos and research some more history on the Peltier farm, even drive past and perhaps meet the locals.

Rob_K
17-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Nice work Sherlock! ;)

This link might be handy to anyone not familiar with Leslie Peltier:
http://www.aavso.org/leslie-peltier-worlds-greatest-amateur-astronomer

Here's a quote from the article:

" "The world's greatest non-professional astronomer."
That is what Harlow Shapley called Leslie Peltier. If that is true, then why don't more people know about Peltier? I think the simple truth is he was a very private, soft-spoken man, who never sought the limelight and would have been embarrassed by all the attention he gets nowadays."

Cheers -