PDA

View Full Version here: : why do some people whinge so much?

traveller
04-05-2012, 08:34 PM
why do the same issues gets discussed time and time again?
why do complicated issues gets discussed in simple terms?
why do we all want instant gratification when we should time to read, learn and understand?
why are we becoming increasingly insular when the world is connected more than ever?

Stardrifter_WA
04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree with your sentiments Bo, wholeheartedly! But, I fear the answer is .... because we can!

bmitchell82
04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Bo, the world is full of stupid people that is why. Watch the movie Idiocracy and piss yourself laughing!

:) Stupid people love to whine because they don't have the mental capacity to go well... I can shut up or I can do something about it!

:rofl:

AndrewJ
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Cos we dont have an "app" to tell us its already happened????

Cos Apps, tweets and SMS means we can no longer think at more than 140 characters at a time.

Cos many cant/dont really read or think anymore?????
We now "need" a device to "tell" us.
What i would love to see is if a virus writer
could put PacMan into TomToms (etc )
I would pay to see the results of that.
( Does PacMan have hook turns???? )

Cos thats the way industry makes money.
Just think, if we actually spoke to each other when meeting in person,
vs bury our heads into an idevice,
the telcos would go broke.
Bad for business.

Andrew ( feeling cynical tonight )

Octane
04-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Andrew, just for you:

I love my Apple hardware: especially my iPhone and iPad.

In fact, I'm replying to you on a Bluetooth keyboard tethered to my iPad, right now.

So, there! :poke:

H

TrevorW
04-05-2012, 09:21 PM
It would be a perfect world if we didn't have something to gripe about would it not

and why cloud an issue by bringing in a load of statistics and facts it makes for boring reading

AndrewJ
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Gday H

That sums it up.
Luv the technology and forget why its being used :-)
Note, I dont particularly target apple here,
but i do wonder how long it will be before
we start awarding "iDarwins",
without questioning why.:D

Andrew

MrB
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
whingeing about whingers :rolleyes:

mill
04-05-2012, 10:36 PM
H just a :P :rofl::rofl:

DavidNg
04-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Look! who is whinging:lol:

TrevorW
04-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Why not close this thread as well it seems to be the trend when someone raises a point which may have already been covered before actually why have a general chat section for the matter as issues concerning the same topic will raise their ugly head time and again, but that is human nature, we are destined to repeat the past.

I don't mind someone having a whinge about a valid issue in fact if we didn't have the whingers, complainers, the gripers, nit pickers, who voice their point of view about things that they think are not right then SFA would ever get done in this world and little would change

MrB
05-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Very true, tho sometimes the change is not for the better.
:thumbsup:

pgc hunter
05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Because it's always cloudy.

joe_smith
05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Some might like this new doco called "Connected (http://www.wakeupsydney.com.au/Connected.aspx). What does connection mean in our technology-obsessed world?"

looks good :) if you like this type of stuff, and applies to the above observation.

rally
05-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Dare I wade into this one !!

I think its all a state of mind.
Some people choose to see things a particular way, and forget to see a given situation in its entirety.

On the thread in question
I cannot see for the life of me why anyone would want to complain about a cheaper source of goodies !!!
Lambasting domestic retailers for not being cheaper than another retailer or another country with entirely different rules, regulations, taxes/duties, cost structures, delivery charges, import costs etc etc is ignoring the opportunity that presents itself.

If Coles is cheaper than Woollies I don't complain that Woollies is dear and lodge a formal complaint with them and the Consumer watchdog and all and sundry ! - I buy from Coles and think myself lucky I got it cheaper and how much more I now have to spend on the other things I want.

If I am looking for a new car - do I argue the point with every car yard that has what I want but at a higher price ? or do I just buy what I like at the best price I can find ?

It makes no sense to me - if its cheaper to buy in the US or from India, China, HK or UK - then buy from there - its easy and relatively safe to do so, and often quicker and easier than going down to the local store which might take hours, costs in parking and fuel and sometimes costs more and takes longer to get delivered because they don't have stock or with less choice on the options.

Books are usually much cheaper in the UK and US and the range, variety and instant stock holding is huge, plus freight is often free.
I can order a book from the UK and its delivered a week later (for free) - yet I have ordered books locally and waited months and ultimately never received them !
Taiwan, HK and China is great for all manner of things including electronics and parts, and almost everything
Heck I can buy a USB blue tooth adapter for 0.99c with free delivery or pay $1.99 for a USB WiFi dongle ! (that I paid $149 for 2 years ago !)
I dont complain about that - I take advantage of it, if that is what I want.

The US is often good for good quality telescopes and many things astro, but also photographic gear and so much other stuff - so buy it from there - if it represents the best deal for you.
I recently bought a 12+mp digital camera for a friend who wants to get into 'real' photography at a level above her P&S - AUD cost is $600 (was a lot more a year ago) US was only $149 ! - for a DSLR that can take the full range of interchangeable lenses - freight was dirt cheap - took a week.
Lets not hear that it can't be done - anyone can buy pretty much anything a US consumer can buy and get it delivered here.

Fact is - almost everything is presently cheaper than its been in the recent past whether you choose to shop domestically, on the net or OS, or just look around at home as the case may be.

So I would argue that its more a case of people looking on the negative side of things rather than reality or the positive side.

We have a choice, unlike some countries where the citizens are not allowed to import without huge import taxes.

In the end market forces will prevail - Supply and demand.
Businesses will adapt one way or another - a bit like the plague - some will die, some will already be immune (ie already practising competitive retailing) and some will get sick and develop immunity (initially lose business and be forced to restructure their business models) and live on to be stronger.

Why pricing is different depends on all sorts of factors, way too many to simply summarise, as each case on a product, by region, by retailer basis will be different.
We live in a democratic society, business can charge what they like and the market will decide, people can say what they like on the forum and they are allowed to do so - rightly or wrongly.

To suppose that everyone should and must be the cheapest - well I'll leave that question alone, but thank goodness we dont live in a regulated world where all the prices are preset and determined by regulators - otherwise there wouldn't be a cheaper alternative !
And novelty and research and creativity would be thwarted.

I am just being the devils advocate here.

Vest on !!

Rally

PS If people are really serious about then they should start promoting the opportunities that exist and force the market through normal dynamics of supply and demand to move even faster.

marki
05-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Haha what a load of BS :P:):D. Mr B (Simon) just from the other thread you mentioned anodising supplies. Try Ron at Moonlite, I buy all my stuff from him.

Mark

supernova1965
05-05-2012, 07:21 AM
I will have a say all the complain threads get heaps of replies but positive threads are virtually ignored in comparison sad that it is this way below is one example. Lets change that:thumbsup:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=90302

MrB
05-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Me BS?
Thanks for the tip, I have visited Ron's site many times before, when I found his site years ago, it was where I first learned it could be easily done at home.
He's not that much cheaper than buying from Aussie Caswell, after freight would be about same or more.

A couple of months back I found a supplier in the UK and bookmarked the page... but do ya reckon I can find it again? :mad2:

TrevorW
05-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Never one to let emotion cloud my judgement I went looking for retail markup comparisons on the net and couldn't find any reference comparing different countries although I did find some dated material on how markups are calculated

http://www.uniquebusinessdevelopment.com/toolkit/topics/m2y3.htm
http://www.aguirregabiria.org/barcelona/aguirregabiria_restud_1999.pdf
http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp856.pdf

but put simply everyone knows that, item cost(wholesale or production costs)+overheads-selling price= profit

and IMO often markups are set by greed but I said I didn't want to bore you with facts but are only to willing to research if anyone can point me in the right direction

marki
05-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Referring to the thread :P. Not only do we have whinging threads, now we have threads about whinging threads:question: :)

Mark

multiweb
05-05-2012, 02:03 PM
It's the echo. ;)

traveller
05-05-2012, 03:06 PM
As usual Warren, your comments are given a wide berth. :shrug::)
Now that everyone had a good whinge :lol: let's get back to my original question WHY do SOME people whinge SO much?
I whinge as much as the average bloke, but some people seem to relish in it. Don't get me wrong, whinging is good. It brings people together through shared experience and sometimes it's good just have a good whinge.
But there is a fine line, a self fulfilling prophecy if you will, when one whinges because there doesn't seem to be any rational explanation and worse still, the negativity is contagious. Before you know it, mass hysteria takes over and we are all doom and gloom, but for what reason?
I agree with what Trevor said earlier about something's beyond ones control, but its the disproportionate or unrational response and their frequency thats unexplained and it seems to be getting worse.
My $0.02
Bo

supernova1965
05-05-2012, 05:25 PM
That is something I have noticed before and wondered at :shrug: Bo maybe I am raining on a good winge but it is true that the negative gets more mileage than the positive a great shame it's like we want to be angry and at each others thoats:screwy:

Stardrifter_WA
05-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi Bo,

It is an interesting topic whinging. Perhaps that is because good news is simply boring. After all, what can you say to good news, great, well done, that's fantastic...... which are well and good but simply lack traction for a discussion of ideas and opinions. Whinging gives more traction, as we have seen on IIS, and I make no claim to be innocent in this regard either. Even when something positive happens, there are always those that will have differing opinions.

Although I am no philosopher, giving this some thought I feel that we are taught, indirectly, to whinge rather than have a positive and rational exchange of ideas. We only have to look at the way our, so called, leaders in our community behave, who are absolutely negative about everything other than themselves, due to their hidden, and not so hidden, agendas. Also, we are often punished for doing wrong, but are never rewarded for doing right, thus reinforcing a negative attitude. Furthermore, look at the balance in the media between good news and bad, the latter being way ahead. Good news just doesn't sell papers, once again reinforcing the negative.

Alternatively, perhaps we are just hard-wired to be negative, after all, if we were completely happy and contented, would we have progressed? Would we ever have had reason to strive to be better? Just look at the wars this world has faced and the technological advances we have made directly because of them, after all military development has made many positive contributions. Sure, they have brought death and destruction, but look at the societies that developed after them, let alone mention all the wonderful technology we now take for granted. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is debatable and isn't the point I am making anyway.

So, are we hard wired to be negative? I think we are, otherwise we wouldn't need psychologists, medical and drugs (legal or illicit) to make us feel better. I know, as I have had to battle depression in the past decade, with a recent decline, and all I strive for is to be positive and happy. And, the one thing I really hate is people telling me that it could be worse, thus reinforcing the negative. Yes, it could be worse, as I am grateful for still being here, but it could also be a lot better.

But then, a philosopher once said, "As great as your sadness, so shall your happiness be. For without one, there is no measure of the other." :)

casstony
05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I can think of a few things worth having a whinge about: mosquitos, politicians, bureaucrats, illness.

I can think of a few things to be greatful for: kids, dogs, trees, hot & cold running water.

Nothing wrong with having a whinge so long as you don't dwell on the negative stuff.

traveller
05-05-2012, 07:08 PM
thanks Peter, I think you have hit the nail on the head!
Bo :thumbsup:

Stardrifter_WA
05-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Maybe Bo, but I doubt the nail would agree! :P

FlashDrive
05-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I been following this thread from the sideline ... :rolleyes:

OK ...I'll bite :whistle:

It's because we are all sitting in our own ' chair '

Whattda' mean Flash ...??

Well .... It sure looks different from where I'm sitting....!!
and so it is with everyone else.

Makes sense now doesn't it ..!! And we all have a ' whinge ' ( including me ) because we have a need at sometime to ' voice ' our opinion about something.

Flash :thumbsup:

PCH
05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=casstony;848632]I can think of a few things worth having a whinge about: mosquitos, politicians, bureaucrats, ...

Tony,

I thought you were listing them in order of intellectual capacity there - starting with the highest ;)

tlgerdes
05-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Warren , it might have something to do with our English heritage.
:)

PCH
05-05-2012, 07:57 PM
That's a great quote Peter. I shall have to try and think of life's ups and downs more in those terms :thumbsup:

casstony
05-05-2012, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=PCH;848651]

There are similarities - they're all part of the insect family, they all bug you at every opportunity, and nobody misses them if they get squashed :)

Stardrifter_WA
05-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi Paul,

The quote actually comes from the following, which I have just looked up, but I slightly misquoted it:

THE PURPOSE OF LIFE IS - TO BE WHAT EVER YOU CAN BE.

You are not ordinary. You are extraordinary. There will never be anyone like you again.

Do not do what you have always done. Do the things you have never done: those things you thought you could never do.

Life is not predictable. Seek not to make it so. A great joy of living is not knowing what tomorrow will bring. Make each day an adventure.

To be happy you have only to be yourself. To this end, nurture your creativity and spontaneity, for they are the essence of your being.

Remember, as great as your happiness, so shall your sadness be. Without one there is no measure of the other.

Above all, do not allow your spirit to be tamed. It is that which connects you to all things. We are all one - part of a great whole.

When you feel confused, listen to your inner voice and follow your intuition. Remain true to yourself and you will help guide the universe on its way.

Love other persons by allowing them the freedom to be themselves. Have no expectations of them and you will never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised.

Open yourself to others and they will open themselves to you. In this way are great gifts exchanged and intimate relationships forged.

It is the belief that you carry in your heart that causes you to fear other human kinds. Question your beliefs, for it is in this manner that you learn to love your fellow man.

You are what you are, but it is what you can become that will amaze. Fulfil your destiny. It is never too late.
David Wills 1994

PCH
06-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Peter,

thanks for going to the trouble of looking that up.

It's a very succinct yet voluminous roundup of what we should strive to be and achieve.

Almost a compilation of Kipling's "IF", and Erhmann's "Desiderata".

In short - beautifully put :thumbsup:

traveller
06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Here, here!
Thanks for sharing Peter, one of the most beautifully written pieces I have seen for a long time.
Bo

Stardrifter_WA
06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Whilst finding that one Paul, I came across another one that I had forgotten that I had stored. Thought people might also appreciate this one:

MAN IN THE GLASS

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day;
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t a man’s father, mother or wife
Whose judgement upon him must pass;
The fellow whose verdict counts most in his life;
Is the man staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please: never mind all the rest,
For he’s with you clear up to the end;
And you’ve passed your most dangerous, difficult test,
If the man in the glass is your Friend.

You can fool the whole world down the pathways of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass;
But your final reward will be heartache and tears,
If you’ve cheated the Man in the Glass.

(This poem was found written on the wall of a cell in death row, in a U.S. jail. It was composed by an anonymous prisoner who was later executed).

Cheers Peter

PCH
06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Peter,

yep, that's a good too, and darn true too. Thanks for digging it out Peter, - much appreciated :thumbsup:

blink138
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
heh pete if everybody took these beautiful words quite literally........ there would be a hell of alot less depression!
pat

Stardrifter_WA
06-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey Pat, if only it was that easy!

Ric
06-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Just been reading this thread and it brings to mind something my Gran always said.

"Don't bother whinging, cos nobody's listening."