PDA

View Full Version here: : Dovetail mounting 127Ed to NEQ6

Sarge
03-05-2012, 09:58 PM
My 127ED came with a Vixen style dovetail, but after several sessions I am not overly comfortable with its ability to hold the scope onto the mount. The dovetail bar has a raised middle section which is about 90mm long The jaws of the NEQ6 being 120mm long, means only a small section at either end is actually making contact with the base of the jaws. Also the angled sides for locking into the jaws is only 90mm long, which again means not all of the jaws 120mm length is making contact with the dovetail sides. This dovetail bar is 190mm (7.5") long with holding screws at 160mm apart. This is a fixed distance as the top of the mounting rings is actually a handle to carry the scope. See the pics.

I am going to pop into Bintel and check out several other dovetails. The ones that seem most suitable are:

Farpoint Universal 10"

Losmandy DUP 13.5"

Orion Universal 11"

The short dovetails 7" (180mm) are not long enough for the 160mm fixed screws.

Any recommendations on these dovetails, or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Clear skies

Rod
:D:D

Moon
03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I think the NEQ6 has Losmandy size these days ( before is was vixen style, which is what the I'm guessing the Orion Universal 11" is)

Either way, take the rings with you to bintel and they'll fix you up.
In the mean time, don't use your scope - the one it ships with is not safe with the EQ6.
James

bmitchell82
03-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Rod do yourself a favor and get rid of that shiiite thing they put up on top. Get a ADM Losmandy style saddle and the puck for it then you can run with ADM gear. they are all good quality!

bm

frolinmod
04-05-2012, 02:37 AM
One of the things that bothers me with the stock tube rings here is that they have just one screw hole tapped into them. Even if you attach them to a "D" series dovetail, they'll still only be attached with a single screw. Contrast that with something like a Stellarvue tube ring.

allan gould
04-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I use a Losmandy plate top and bottom and added a Losmandy and vixen saddle from ADM to my EQ6. It's now perfectly secure. Houghy managed to almost total his 127mm when the "non-stable vixen" plate gave way.

technofetishism
04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
just got rid of that same dovetail today, stupid thing.

Sarge
05-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Bought the Losmandy DUP. Fits like a glove. Scope feels much firmer and secure. Dissapointed in the stock availability at Bintel (shop is looking a little empty), but can't fault their service. Will probably also replace the saddle soon with an ADM, once I work out which puck to buy.

Clear skies (except in Melb :()

Rod

bmitchell82
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
If you have a new NEQ6 Pro, and its within the last year you will have the new puck. either that or just undo the three grub screws at the top of the DEC. then the whole thing will come out easy as pie! you can then look at which one you have and get the right one straight up

BM

Sarge
06-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks Brendan,
I've been spending a little too much money lately so will have to put off a new saddle for a little while. But I will have a look at the puck to make sure I get the right one. Birthday in a couple of months so I will drop some hints.

Thanks for the head up re Alignmaster. At this stage I haven't started AP, still trying to learn the scope and mount and Eqmod. Once I'm confident with all of them, I will then move into AP, starting with a DSLR, probably the 600D Canon (I need a new still camera anyway). And of course guide scope, motor focuser, software and the list goes on. I have modified a cheap webcam and been playing with that in my Dob, so that will be my very small start into AP with the 127ED.

Thanks

Rod

bmitchell82
06-05-2012, 12:47 AM
No problems Rod. :D

I have also put up a new resource on the resource page its all to do with the theology of how I have modified my newt at things to look at when using a dob or cheap cheap Newt for AP.

What a lot of people do not understand is that you need to spend a bit of coin to make them work right. till then your only running in happy snapper territory :D

Don't hesitate to drop me a line in any case :D

BM