PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone need large things moved from Melb to Syd or vice versa?

Poita
03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
I am going to have to drive a ute from Mudgee to Melbourne to pick up an editing desk.
If anyone is looking at buying some Astro equipment or other largish item and would like it taken from Sydney, Mudgee, Lithgow, Blue Mountains, or Goulburn to Melbourne, or would like something brought back from Melbourne to any of those locales, then drop me a line. I'm looking to offset my petrol costs a bit and maybe make some large item accessible to someone who would be worried about having it shipped.

So if that item in Melbourne or Sydney that is 'pickup only' has been luring you, drop me a line and for a bit of petrol money maybe I can pick it up for you!

Cheers

-Peter

Barrykgerdes
03-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Gee that must be some desk. The real cost of driving a ute to Melbourne and back at 75c/Km will be over $1000

Barry

Poita
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
The dam thing weighs about 180kg, I'm open to other ideas.

astroron
03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
:question::question::question:
Petrol should not come to more than about $350.00.
If the distance traveled is say 2000 kms at about ten kilometers per litre.
Where do you get the sum of $1000.00 :question:
Cheers :thumbsup:

Barrykgerdes
03-05-2012, 02:43 PM
If petrol was the only cost it would be OK but the standard rate for a car/ute of that size is 75c/KM that covers depreciation, insurance, maintenance, registration etc and is the rate that the taxation department uses if you are able to claim it as a deduction.

My Station sedan travelled 3547 KM last year and cost $1624 last year according to my records. I don't pay rego and I don't have any depreciation (I depreciated it to zero for taxation 10 years ago). but that is still 45c/KM

If more people realised what a car costs to run they would soon use other means of transport. the average SUV used to transport the kids to school cost over $1.00 per KM to run.

50 years ago I did a cost evaluation on owning and running a medium size car and it was found to be cheaper to order a taxi if your distance travelled per year was under 3000 miles

Barry

GeoffW1
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi,

Parts of this are sunk costs. That is, you pay it when you own the car regardless of whether you go to Melbourne or not.

But yes, I recall an NRMA study years back which found that certain people should sell their cars and take taxis as it was cheaper. I know a mate that had so many motoring fines, he did that :lol:

I think it is fair in this case to consider only the incremental cost of taking the trip, mainly petrol, and a small proportion of periodical maintenance (eg oil change), and speeding fines :lol:

I had a go at estimating standard courier costs on this, and got $1000 - $1300, but that still seems high. Anyone know?

Cheers

rally
04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
What about trying a local Mudgee based furniture removalist and get him to tack it onto his next Melbourne delivery ?
Assuming time is not a major consideration.

Barrykgerdes
04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi Geoff

These are all part of the on going cost of any capital expenditure that needs to be accounted for and must be taken into account unless you are a politician trying to sell the budget or hide real costs.;):lol:.

By the way I am an OAP living of the government hand outs and have never had it so good. I budget accurately and have always got a surplus to spend on my "toys" as I see fit.

Barry

PS by the way I made no allowance for traffic fines. They are not deductible expenses.

Octane
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Sheesh.

The guy made a genuine offer of assistance out of the kindness of his heart and the thread has devolved into financial advice.

Pete, I don't have anything that needs shipping, but, would take you up on the offer if I did!

H

geronimo
13-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Hello Pete, when are you planning on going down to Melbourne ? I am thinking about buying something down there. What do you think my share of the fuel bill might be. You can contact me on chrisk ( at symbol ) manx.net

Kind Regards

Chris