PDA

View Full Version here: : Prevailing Wisdom on Powered USB Hubs

dcalleja
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi
I thought I was having problems with the shutter on my SBIG STi (Well I was because it sometimes didnt always fully close or open and was quite variable).

So after some discussion on the Yahoo SBIG forum someone said the shutter needed a good 500mA power source and a powered hub might be best. (Yes I used the SBIG cable and had it plugged direct into my laptop)

So i bought a DLINK USB 3 hub and I must say it seems to just work really well now.

So whats the prevailing wisdom on using powered hubs for cameras etc. Do people recommend this? Will i burn out my STi? Some other folk say they cause interference in the cameras. Thoughts?

Thanks
Dan

peter_4059
02-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Dan,

I've always used powered hubs with the DSI and the QHY (and every other USB device I'm running) and never had a problem.

Peter

DavidTrap
02-05-2012, 09:22 PM
I use a powered hub with my cameras without problems. Not sure why being "powered" would make it possible for the hub to "burn out" the camera - it should only draw what it requires.

DT

bert
02-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I consider them mandatory with my observatories. Just don't buy one from the local computer market. Get a good quality hub.

I use the mount hub pro and a belkin powered hub. Both have been flawless usb wise. Some cheap ones I bought gave me random usb dropouts.

Brett

marki
02-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Check out the mount hub pro, well worth the cost.

Mark

dcalleja
02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
OK looks like I go with the hub then . It certainly seems to be working more reliably.

Thanks
Dan

dcalleja
22-05-2012, 07:16 PM
An update.
Thanks to some advice from Greg I bought a Hitec Mount Hub Pro. Very happy. Currently running two SBIG Cams, dew heater and soon (when I get the right cable) my LX200.

Really cuts down on cable mess. Fits well inside the LX200 forks as well.

Dan

marki
22-05-2012, 08:43 PM
There are some nice short USB cables available from Harvey Normans which makes it even neater. Great device.

Mark