PDA

View Full Version here: : New interview with Neil Armstrong

Lee
01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
http://thebottomline.cpaaustralia.com.au/

Unbelievable that the Australian CPA secured very sought after interviews with Neil Armstrong, released in weekly parts.....

Octane
01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Is that Alex Cherney's timelapse in the background when the lady is introducing the show?

H

Jeffkop
01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Really intersting Lee, great to while away some time viewing this stuff ... Dont need to worry bout going out near a scope when its RAINING again !!!!

DavidTrap
01-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Looks like it to me H - you can have anything from the 3rd shelf for that observation!

Interesting video too!

DT

SkyViking
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
That was awesome, thanks for the link. Really looking forward to the other parts now!
This interview reminded me of the documentary 'In the Shadow of the Moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Shadow_of_the_Moon)', highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the Apollo program and the Moon landings.

Lee
01-05-2012, 10:33 PM
+1, watched it last week....

Ric
01-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Amazing stuff Lee, very enjoyable.

ballaratdragons
02-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Fantastic! Thank you Lee for the link.

Interesting how Australian CPA got the interview of a lifetime where everyone else has failed.
And the lady at the start made a point that this is the last interview Neil Armstrong will ever give. Amazing!!!

I can't wait to see the other episodes.

iceman
02-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Amazing, thanks Lee.

Shared on FB.

gary
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks!

Great interview. Looking forward to the rest.

It's moments such as that at 07:14 in the video where Armstrong gives an account of
the B-29 propeller incident resulting in the loss of three engines plus fuselage
damage, which he euphemistically describes as "an uncomfortable position", that
re-enforces the decision that he was exactly the right person to pilot the first lunar
module to land on the Moon.

By way of further example, during the Korean conflict, his F9F-2B Panther was hit by
anti-aircraft fire, the aircraft went down to 20m off the deck and he sliced
a meter of the right wing off when he hit a pole, but still managed to regain
control and fly the aircraft back to friendly territory before ejecting.

He crashed landed the Bell X-1 rocket plane, had some narrow escapes in the X-15,
wrestled with the attitude controls of Gemini 8 spacecraft when it began rolling at a
rate of once-per-second and as depicted in the video, ejected from the infamous
Flying Bedstead.

So come July 1969 with 1201 and 1202 Apollo Guidance Computer alarms going
off plus with the Eagle heading toward a crater, that re-action of Armstrong to
take control and fly the vehicle manually is in my mind, not only the culmination
of years of experience as an aeronautical engineer, fighter pilot, test pilot
and astronaut, but a high point in the evolutionary descent and intellectual
ascent of man.

As that brain guided that hand to a prefect landing, it was an event that was
several million years in the making.

A pretty neat trick for the descendants of hominids who only 2.6 million years earlier
had first learned how to break some chips off some rocks.

asimov
02-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting this mate! Fascinating stuff & I can't wait for the other 3 parts!

Lee
02-05-2012, 06:19 PM
My impression is Neil Armstrong is a quiet, humble man who feels he doesn't deserve the admiration, any more than any of the other Mercury/Gemini/Apollo astronauts, many of whom paved the way for him.

One thing I really enjoy about all the documentaries I love so much on this subject, is learning about the other astronauts... as kids we learnt/heard about Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, but never about the other guys, who are obviously just as skilled in their field....

Exfso
03-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Excellent interview, really looking forward to the next 3.. Brilliant man:thumbsup:

bartman
04-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks Lee,
I love these type of personal informative interviews with people that have done so much in their lives!
Cheers
Bartman

alexch
06-05-2012, 03:00 AM
It is, CPA contacted me for it quite a while back.

A interesting first part of the interview - I look forward to seeing the rest. It brings back in memory that fantastic week at STARMUS almost a year ago when I saw and even briefly spoke with Neil Armstrong.

He made an impression of a very humble man indeed.

Cheers,
Alex

ballaratdragons
06-05-2012, 03:25 AM
Fantastic Alex! Wow!!!

Ric
09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I was watching part 2 last night.

Great stuff indeed.

asimov
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Yep, watched part 2 last night myself. Great stuff.

citivolus
10-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Just had a watch of the first part. I'll definitely be watching the rest.

stephenb
16-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Part 3 on the website if anyone has missed it.

Ric
17-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Yep, part 3 was a beauty.

I'm looking forward to the final instalment next week.

Lee
17-05-2012, 07:50 AM
I wonder if we can get this on DVD??

stephenb
27-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Final part up on their site.

The mainstream media has finally picked up on it (yaaawwwwn - they are slow) probably only because of the fact that Neil discusses the hoaxers.

If the CPA released this on DVD/Blu Ray, it will sell like hot cakes.

Neil's commentary with the Google Moon footage is spectacular :eyepop:

netwolf
27-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks Lee for posting this, watched all four today and it was amazing. Its great to see that the first man on the moon is such a humble person. It was also great to recount what human beings are capable of achieving. And to see how for some time the whole world stood as one as a consequence of these events. Perhaps the leaders of today could take some lessons from these events.

TheDecepticon
29-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Fantastic! Such modesty from perhaps the world's most famous person.

Thanks!:)

Nico13
01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Just finished watching the final episodes, this has been something special, so much so that you could feel the emotion and at the same time the humbleness of the man.
History relived with the aid of modern technology, outstanding. :thumbsup:

Ric
04-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Loved the final episode with the recreated Moon landing and Neil's commentary.

That was awesome.