PDA

View Full Version here: : Valve's Employee Handbook

iceman
24-04-2012, 05:14 AM
I just read Valve's employee handbook. It popped up in my Linked In news feed this morning. A great read!

Very interesting if you're into games, technology or you've ever managed people! Very funny too!

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2012/04/21/valves-new-employee-handbook-is-as-inspiring-as-the-games-it-makes

I want to work there now! :)

kustard
24-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah I'd love to work there as well, I wonder if they are hiring coffee monkeys with a background in hardware and IT ;)

Omaroo
24-04-2012, 04:58 PM
This is a little what my old company is like. We have tried to infuse some of these ideals into our new company too. We don't even track holiday time - if you need it, and you're on top of things, you got it.

kustard
24-04-2012, 05:53 PM
You after a coffee monkey Chris? ;)

Omaroo
24-04-2012, 06:09 PM
LOL.. now.. that'd be nice Simon :) hehe... I'm good with the trip to my kitchen, right next to my office, but thanks! ;)

We have phenomenal liberties within our organisation - to the point that it worries me a little at times. We have never had anyone leave us on irregular terms, so our incredibly liberal system has worked well and attracted the right people. One day we might have nasty time if someone decides to leave on less than ideal terms - and then we have a battle to sort out any claims that could be made because nothing is tracked. I guess we'll sort it if we ever come to it. It's worked for 12 years so far though... :thumbsup: I've not taken a holiday, of any decent length, for 10 years or so. I love my work so I don't see the need. In a normal company I'd be forced to take it because it becomes a liability to them. I'll take it when I'm good and ready - and then I'll probably double it without owing my company anything. We have no idea of who has taken time off around here - but we all put in very hard work and the formula is successful. I couldn't imagine clocking in and out...