PDA

View Full Version here: : Off axis guider/flip mirror. Has anyone tried this?

Lester
23-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

I am considering changing my Orion delux off axis guider. I came across this one from Germany that doubles as a off axis guider and flip mirror. At present I use a seperate flip mirror and the Orion delux off axis giuder. So to have one instument that can do both will reduce what is hanging out the rear of my 14" SCT, and help elliminate any sag. Has anyone tried this device?

Link to view German off axis guider/flip mirror.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TS-Off-Axis-Guider-Guiding-System-Flip-Mirror-360-rotation-TSFlip-/390387840898?pt=AU_Cameras_Telescop es_Binoculars&hash=item5ae4edb782

Bassnut
23-04-2012, 06:34 PM
That's very intrusive, you wouldn't put that in yr image train would you?

Lester
23-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi Fred, the prism is in the centre of the FOV when it works as a flip mirror and moved out to the edge of the FOV when used as a off axis guider. Then allowing the light to pass to the camera. Also what I like is the guider can be moved around the full 360 degrees to find a guide star.

All the best.:thumbsup:

Poita
24-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Interesting beast. If you do get one, be sure to post a review!

JohnH
24-04-2012, 04:35 PM
seconded - looks like a good gadget. TS make/supply some good gear. Would not be good for cases where you have a long imaging train already....

Lester
24-04-2012, 09:30 PM
This gadget has the potential to reduce the length of my imaging train by 4", just by removing the Meade 2" flip mirror.

Lester
25-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Ordered tonight, see how long it takes to arrive from Germany.

Peter.M
26-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I have a 2.5 inch TS OAG and it took around 2 weeks to come from germany.

Lester
28-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Two weeks sounds okay from my experience Peter. Mine has landed at the east coast of Australia (Botany Bay). The package went from Germany to USA to Australia. I would have thought there was a shorter route from Germany to here, but to be in our country in less than a week is good.

Merlin66
28-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Not much new under the sun....
I have one of these I got from this forum many years ago - never seen another until TS came out with their model.
If it works as good as the "original" you'll be impressed!
Very rigid and easy to use...

Lester
01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
The item turned up today, which is one day sooner than the expected delivery time. Will not be using it till after the transit of Venus, because the 4" Tak will be used then.

allan gould
01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Just checked out their Ebay shop from the link. Holy cr@p - you paid $99.00 for postage :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop: . I feel you were ripped off right royally

Lester
01-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Hi Allan, I paid 40 euros about $60. Also the listed price of their stock has a VAT tax that we don't have to pay. I am very happy with the price of this unit including postage. Also it will save me many inches off of the imaging train reducing any chance of sag. If any one has seen a 2" Meade flip mirror they will know that they are not small, and this device is no bigger than the Orion off axis guider I use to use.

All the best.

allan gould
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM
As long as you are happy, that's all that matters Lester.
Allan

Lester
17-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

I was trying this device tonight for the first time. Had the 40D camera focused and 40mm Kellner eyepiece in the off axis/flip mirror turret. Centred on "The Box" planetary nebula. Moved the prism out of the centre of the FOV and found a bright guide star. Put the Orion Starshoot auto guider where the 40mm eyepiece was, But could not get focus. Had to move the auto guider further in, like about 50mm. Tried a barlow lens, but that didn't help to bring out the focus point further.

So I think I need a spacer to put between the rear of the off axis/flip mirror and camera. Think I will need a 25mm and a 50mm spacer, better to have too much than not enough, as I can always pull the guider out slightly.

Any suggestions. I have sent a email back to Germany, to see what they suggest.

Merlin66
17-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Lester,
That's a hard way of doing things....
it's 200% easier and faster to set up the OAG during the day on a distant object....
Get the imaging camera focused - - don't change anything and try to bring the guide camera to focus...you may need as you're finding spacers either on the guide camera or even on the imaging camera.

Lester
17-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Hi Ken, I did do a day time test today. All was good with the imaging camera focus and 40mm eyepiece to focus at the same time. But when tried tonight all was good till I put the guider camera in place and cannot get it in close enough for focus. To move the focus point for the guide camera out, I also will have to move the focus point for the imaging camera further out. So will need spacers infront of the imaging camera; Unless I am missing the obvious.

Thanks for your reply.

Merlin66
17-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, sounds like you need a spacer infront of the imaging camera.
The TS OAG (and some others) were designed and developed for (D)SLR cameras which have a 55mm back focus.

Phoenix
27-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi Lester, so how did you go in the end with the TS OAG and getting the guide camera to come to focus? Would you recommend this much shorter version of a "flip mirror" / off-axis guider? And may I ask what scope setup you use it with?

Cheers Steve

Lester
27-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi Steve, I should have added to this thread some months ago. With the different spacers that were sent with the OAG, plus putting the camera adapter closer to the prism allowed me to get focus. This device is very solid and well made, just that there isn't a great diagram of how to configure the camera with different fittings.

I have it hooked up to my Meade 14" LX200 that has a Feather Touch focuser fitted to it.

All the best.

Phoenix
28-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Hi Lester, thanks for the update - good to hear you got it working. I purchased a vixen flit mirror but it has too much length for my set up. Lester how "square" or well aliged do you find the mirror? I'm thinking I would like to use this shorter OAG version for both dslr imaging with my refractor and planetary imaging with a newtonian. The latter of which I have a little trouble placing planets on my DBK chip. I'm thinking that centering the planet using an illuminated EP on the OAG then "flipping" the mirror (sliding it out in this case) would help with my planetary imaging process.

Cheers
Steve

Lester
28-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Steve, I think this would work well for aligning objects. Although the prism only picks up some of the light and not the whole FOV. I use to use a Meade 2" flip mirror for what you are trying, but that was huge in size and added the chance of sag in the set-up.

All the best.

Phoenix
29-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the advice Lester. Yes, it will only pick up a small amount of light and not the entire FOV as a traditional flip mirror will do. Somthing to think about.

Cheers Steve