PDA

View Full Version here: : 127ED - Arrived

Sarge
23-04-2012, 03:27 PM
NG 127MM ED CF arrived today.:cool:
Shipped from China on Thurs 19/4 delivered Aus 23/4, now that's service.:thumbsup: The NEQ6 mount from Perth took 2 weeks!:screwy:
And of course the weather gods knew all about it - 3 days of rain in Melb.:( So set it up in the lounge room.:lol: Scope came with the standard focuser (will update that later) illuminated finder scope, diagonal, 1.25-2" adapter and aluminium carry case. It actually fits very nicely on the NEQ6 - I'm impresssed,:D if not somewhat frustrated with the weather.:(
Only one minor problem, the finder scope holder rings each have three threaded holes with nylon adjuster screws to align the finder. Problem is each ring has one larger threaded hole, but all the screws are the same size. :shrug: I have already sent an e-mail to NG.
So as soon as the sky clears, out the back to align and spend a whole night slewing.

Clear skies

Rod
:D:D

MrB
23-04-2012, 04:02 PM
That was quick!
Where are the pics? ;)

stardust steve
23-04-2012, 05:10 PM
good stuff!:thumbsup: i reckon i would be doing a happy dance for 24hrs straight if i got those goodies in the mail:cool:
Enjoy :stargaze:

Sarge
23-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Despite Melb weather - the clouds cleared to a cold but beautiful and stable night - tommorow will be very different ball game. Set up the mount and scope. Very rough polar align, 2 star align and bingo it worked - I am amazed and I am very impressed.:thumbsup:
Took me some time to do the 2 star align, as I can't fit the finder scope till I get another set of screws (PS: North Group have already confimed new screws on the way - again really good service from them), so used a 24mm Baader eyepiece, but finally got there. Then started slewing all over the place. Saturn, Jewel Box, Omega Cen, M41, Tarantula neb, M4, M7, several clusters in Carina. Tried out several eyepieces, all great - the scope was fabulous with the 10 mm Ethos.:cool:
I quickly realised why everyone upgrades the focuser - single speed and slips quite easily - will have to work out how to tighen it up - especially with heavy eyepieces. Not a major probelm for visual, just inconvenient to adjust quite often.

This is one fine scope and mount - many hours of enjoyment coming up. Not quite the light bucket as my 12" Dob, but clear, precise and breathtaking views nonetheless.;)

If anyone is looking at a refractor with tracking mount - for the price this pair is great value.

Will post pics when daytime weather clears

Clear skies

Rod

Bosi72
23-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi Rod, Congratulations on your new scope and mount!
Look forward to see the pics.

I contacted a couple of manufacturers directly such as Intane, NG, Explore Scientific - I guess they all coming from the same factory, but got only one response for one item so far.

As I'm after a similar setup, could you please break down the final price (or send me the private message if against TOC).

Thanks & Cheers

ballaratdragons
23-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Woo-Hoooooo, onya Rod :astron: :jump2:

brian nordstrom
24-04-2012, 08:05 AM
:hi: Alright !! that was quick , OZ post could learn a thing or two :shrug:here.
Another NG127 triplet to the ranks .:thumbsup:.
You will find the tightness adjustement on the focuser at the underside of the focuser there is 2 , I think , but I found that to stop the slippage the feel of rhe knobs became noticeably grumblier and it was a fine line between the 2, loose and slipping , tight and rough and got sick of the constant battle between the 2 types of feel.
Hence I got a FT3035 R&P on mine now , beautiful focuser that one . :D.
Most of all mate enjoy the scope because if its anything like mine the optics will be first rate .
Photos , photos ,, photos ,, please ?
Brian.

scagman
24-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi Rod,

Congrats, Pity about the screws for the finder. One thing to watch out for, I put mine back into the case with the finder attached, (leaving the lid open), I closed the lid without thinking and broke both the screws that hold the finder in the finder mount clean in half. I was able to glue the screws back together and so far work ok.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.

Regards

Sarge
24-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys,

Pics coming - when it stops raining!

Rod

Simon Holmes
27-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Rod,

What is the price for the 127ed and the shipping cost?
I am thinking of getting one too.

Sarge
28-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Simon,

PM sent

Rod

Simon Holmes
28-04-2012, 11:15 AM
More query,
pm sent.

Sarge
28-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Second night out with the scope last night. Terrible viewing conditions - high wispy clouds all night, but the scope was magnificient. I am really impressed with the quality of the optics. I willl have to work more on my polar alignment, but that's a user issue, can't blame the mount for that.

Pics attached

Clear skies

Rod

RobC
29-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Would an HEQ5 Pro Mount support the telescope.

Sarge
30-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Rob,

This scope is the carbon fibre tube with total weight with accessories of just over 8 kg, the aluminium tube is around 10 kg. I think a HEQ5 is rated up to 13.5 kg, so it should be fine.

Clear skies

Rod

Sarge
30-04-2012, 09:53 PM
New screws have arrived from North Group for the finder scope holder. Fitted it up - great, now it works fine and the weather has closed in again - cloudy tonight and forecast is for a week of rain and showers - drats!! :mad2:

I've had this scope out for three nights now and it just continues to amaze me. Last night was the clearest I have ever seen Saturn. Using the 10mm Ethos and 2x barlow (about 190X) I could clearly see the different rings and just make out the bands on Saturn. It was either a very good night or a great scope. Still need to work or my alignment and tracking, but I'm getting there.

Clear skies

Rod

traveller
30-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Looks terrific Rod, a great scope by all accounts.
Bo