PDA

View Full Version here: : New Nikon D3200 24mp!

gregbradley
19-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Wow. Nikon is on such a roll.

Continuing their use of the incredible Sony Exmor sensors they now have a 24.2mp HD video camera with autofocus, it has a wifi addon, can be controllable from an Andriod Phone (with iphone compatibility coming soon), flash, HDMI output, larger APS sized sensor. ISO up to 12800.

US$699.95.

Unbelievable.

If this sensor is anything like the D800 36mp big brother (and I assume it is -both Exmor sensors) then it will be a game changer for affordable DSLRs. It most likely has high ISO low noise despite the huge number of megapixels due to Sony being several years ahead of anyone else.

This is almost for sure the same sensor as the Sony Nex 7N.

I guess this camera competes with Canon 60D with 18mp?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3200/index.htm

The camera world is on fire at the moment with the Fuji XPro 100 also being another hot camera. No Bayer matrix, no anti aliasing filter with its unique 6 pattern random RGB matrix to prevent moire so no need for the AA filter resulting in sharper images like a D800E model.

So many awesome cameras. Sony Nex 7N is another fantastic camera.

Greg.

skysurfer
19-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Nice camera with Wifi access, but it is an entry level, comparable to EOS 600/650 class cameras.
24MP on an APS-C sensor is a little overkill this means a pixel density of 54MP on fullframe, so more than the D800.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/19/Nikon-D3200-with-WiFi-Option

gregbradley
19-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I am not sure what the pixel size is on this sensor. I am pretty sure it is the same sensor as in the Sony Nex 7N.

There is a school of thought that says 12-18mp or perhaps 22 as in 5d mk 3 is the sweet spot for sensors.

But then there is another school of thought that says the more the merrier as it allows you to crop and still get excellent resolution.
This of course assumes you still have decent low light high ISO low noise performance.

These 2 goals have been conflicting for DSLR makers and Nikon as for the last several years pushed the first school of thought Presumably because that was the current technology at the time and all that was available to them.

5D mark ii proved that incorrect as 21mp at the time was class leading and still excellent low light high ISO performance.

Now the new Sony exmor range of sensors seem to push technology out where 24mp with low noise relatively high ISO performance seems available. D800 shows that matching the 5D mk 3 in high ISO RAW image performance (5D3 better in jpegs).

I have read where some believe full frame could go to 70 to 100mp.

Certainly the market tends to want more mp (even if misguided sometimes).

Its inevitable that larger sensors will become cheaper and eventually DSLRs will enter medium format size like Astrophotography has. The Kodak 16803 sensor is larger than 35mm. Kodak (should I say True Sense Imaging) has sensors up to 50mp and about 45mm square.

Greg.

rally
19-04-2012, 06:11 PM
And importantly comes in matching Paramount Red !

Although with 3.85uM pixels and 30secs max shutter time, it probably isn't much use for AP.
ISO 12,800 is OK - but its "boosted" so I wonder what that will do for the noise.

The school of thought as I understood it was not the total number of pixels on a chip but rather related to the pixel size (with current technology) at a sweet spot being mooted around 5uM across
This being a compromise of well depth, dynamic range, focus spot size, CCD noise/SNR, photosite architectural construction etc etc

Not sure if the resolving power of the sorts of lenses likely to be used by the consumers of these cameras is going to be able to match the sensor resolution.

Now it will only take an extra few hours to download that 64GB memory card onto the PC !

gregbradley
19-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Yes I thought that too. Paramount Red. It would look good on a PME or PMX!

Electronics seems forever intent on getting smaller and smaller and the silicone chip people seem to look to the future in terms of smaller and smaller resoution on their circuit paths on silicone.

I saw an internet article about a NSW University who had developed a transistor the size of a molecule!

Amazing.

So I would imagine the sweet spot is constantly changing as the electronics circuits get smaller and finer.

The Fuji Xpro 100 is interesting as it doesn't use a Mayer matrix and so no AA filter.

Greg.

allan gould
19-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Must admit that this is probably more in my line, Greg.
http://m.cnet.com.au/turn-your-camera-into-a-leica-for-cheap-339307638.htm

gregbradley
21-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Hehe:lol:

Check out Fuji XPro 1 if you're into Leicas.

Greg.