PDA

View Full Version here: : Televue Genesis

Profiler
17-04-2012, 08:50 AM
For anyone who might be interested here is a familiar looking Televue Genesis in bright red.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Televue-Genesis-Flourite-Refractor-Telescope-100mm-F5-/330717770219?pt=US_Telescopes&hash=item4d0050b1eb

Judging by the description the new owner doesn't seem enthralled with the paintwork or the odd blemish in the objective coating.:question:

dannat
17-04-2012, 09:13 AM
nice markup though

Profiler
17-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes - I noticed that too.

God Bless the entrepreneurial ambitions of some :lol:

Fox
17-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Sorry guys, but I could never do that to one of my babies...! Fox

Profiler
18-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Fox - two words for you concerning your baby - "very nice" :)

skysurfer
18-04-2012, 09:24 PM
The paint of my Genesis which I have since 1995 was a bit scratched due to travel use, and I resprayed it with the same ivory spray paint and it looks like new !
Despite it does not completely correct blue fringing at high power (200x) (which is improved by the SDF and NP-101) it is an excellent travel scope when mounted on a Vixen SP mount of which I have replaced the legs by lightweight aluminum profiles and cross bars which makes it a very sturdy and versatile visual and photographic scope which weighs 10kg incl mount+tripod. The heavy clamshell mount is also replaced by lightweight aluminum tube rings to mount on two points on the Vixen SP. Photos taken with it are of the same quality of Canon 'L' lenses.
One disadvantage: it does not work good with Amici prisms at high magnification as the f/5 introduces too many color errors and an Amici is designed for longer f rations.

This is a 100% crop of an 18MP raw image of a USAF1951 testsheet from 20m distance.
http://pix.northsouthsky.com/tests/genesis.jpg

Here my Genesis this week between two exposures.

Profiler
19-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Yes - it appears to be another wonder of the universe how sometimes astronomy equipment is kept in beautiful pristine condition (irrespective of the passage of years) and other times it is absolutely butchered.

brian nordstrom
20-04-2012, 08:55 AM
:thumbsup: Nice ,, counter weight :rofl: ,, is your Vixen Super Polaris mount you are using ok for AP ? I have one as well and wil be getting an Atik 14 CCD from Andrews soon and taking the plunge into AP soon. Thanks.
Brian.

brian nordstrom
20-04-2012, 09:00 AM
:thumbsup: Yes Peter , It is hard sometimes to see how some people dont look after there gear , I know some one with a 6 inch AP refractor that lives uncovered on a deck , and it's hard to see all covered in dust , cob webs and bird droppings ..:shrug:. But he wont sell it .:screwy:
Yet I have a 1971 Meade 60mm refractor , ( my first scope ) and it almost still like new .
Brian.

goober
20-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Ugh, why paint a beautiful Genesis red?

I put a couple of reference marks on my 101 as clamshell reference points - wish I could remove them now as they aren't that useful.

Sigh ... they are such beautiful scopes.

skysurfer
20-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Yes I use it for both AP and visual this picture is made during an AP session. Then the counterweight is important to keep the camera + telescope well balanced. And the polar alignment should be performed accurately. This is rather easy in the north, but last Feb in Bali it was more difficult with a +5.6 star only 8 degrees above the horizon.
This is normally my travel setup (here used at home) in which I don't take the original counter weight with me so a bag with stones works fine.
The bar is bent which is useful when the SP is in 'tropics mode' (i.e. nearly horizontal polar axis) to prevent the bag with stones touches the legs.

Merlin66
21-04-2012, 01:42 AM
I have a Genesis serial number #10007.
My wife has already measured up my box to make sure it goes with me!