PDA

View Full Version here: : Saturn's Mysterious Auroras Explained

iceman
18-02-2005, 08:13 AM
In some ways, the bright auroras at Saturn's poles are very similar to our own Northern/Southern lights here on Earth. But in other ways, they're very different, and it's a mystery that has been puzzling astronomers since they were first discovered 25 years ago. Saturn's auroras can brighten for days (compared to minutes here Earth), and can stay still while the planet rotates underneath. Now scientists have used observations from Hubble and the Cassini spacecraft to develop a new theory about how Saturn's magnetic field interacts with the solar wind to produce its unusual auroras.

ving
18-02-2005, 03:40 PM
i'd love to be observing saturn and see one of those! :)

[1ponders]
19-02-2005, 12:10 AM
You're really getting the hang of that Dob now Mike :D

vindictive666
19-02-2005, 10:01 AM
mike awsome pictures :)

did you take them or ?

iceman
19-02-2005, 10:09 AM
yeh I borrowed Bird's spaceship and snapped them out of the window :)

MiG
22-02-2005, 10:38 AM
IIRC, the auroras in those photos are not in the visible wavelengths, it's a composite image. Anyone care to verify this?

silvinator
22-02-2005, 12:26 PM
That's correct Mig, the news article actually states that the shots were in UV wavelengths, so no chance of viewing such pretty auroras for us. Well, at least not the way hubble sees them. I wonder if they do emit some sort of energy in visible light like Earth's auroras do.

rumples riot
22-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Magnificent shots and interesting how the aurora last for several days at a time. Perhaps this is brought on by the massive magnetic field and the total lack of any land mass to discharge the aurora?

Must read up on that.