PDA

View Full Version here: : TomTom invasion - help please

allan gould
13-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I recently got an email from TOoMTom to upgrade the device's software as it was stated that it may not lock onto a GPS device. In doing so the device not only was reprogramed but so was my new computer with a whole lot of files and folders that I cannot get rid of. they say they require system and or administarator rights to do so. Im not that savy with win7 home edn so I dont know how to remove these files.
Ive attached a jpeg of the files found on my c: drive that I cant remove due to needed these permissions. How do I get these "rights"and delete these files. Ive tried changing their attributes but still need system permission to do it. Also when I reboot the PC, Internet Explorer immediately popos up with the TomTom site and I cant stop it. Even if I try to make IIS the home page.
At my wits end as the TomTom people had no idea how to remove their cr@p from my PC.
Any assistance would be really appreciated but remember Im stupid (PC wise).
Allan

dannat
13-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I would click on the windows logo first , in the right side goto control panel, when it pops up goto uninstalls program (usually. Bottom left)
Look in the list for any tomtom related stuff, might be also an idea to look for the date of your install, remove other programs installed on The same day
Report back how this goes

allan gould
13-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Have done that but TomTom has hidden files/folders that need system or administrator rights to remove.

supernova1965
13-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Try a system restore go back to the date closest to and before you installed the Tom Tom software it will not remove any documents that you have saved but will remove all Tom Tom software. This tutorial shows how to do it

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

allan gould
13-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Tried a system restore but eventually i managed to get on to the Microsoft site where specifically someone had asked how to remove system rights from a folder. Followed the steps and eventually purged this cr@p from my PC. Took a lot of reassigning admin and other rights but eventually it worked.
I really hate these sites that take over and putt so much mess in cookies, trackers, permission rights etc to track this and that to HELP you.
anyway tomtom got a right rocket from me.
Thanks for mall youe assistance as it was much appreciated.
Allan

FlashDrive
14-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Allen ... sounds like Tom Tom hi-jacked your Browser Home Page.
and of course ' dumped ' a whole lot of crap along with it.

In the earlier days of Computers there was a similar ' highjacking ' software called ... GATER ... it generally ' piggy backed ' on software that was downloaded from the net. It was very invasive .. especially in a computers registry ... even some cases attaching itself to system files ... or renaming itself once it was installed by an unsuspecting computer user.... which made it real hard to find.

The only real way to rid the system was to do a ' fresh install ' of your chosen operating system.

Glad you have sorted it out ... although ... ( not to scare you ) ... I would be going through the registry ... and looking for any ' left overs ' relating to Tom Tom.

Cheers ...Flash. :hi:

Doug
14-04-2012, 06:21 PM
There is a lot to be said for scrapping windoze and running a linux based platform

acropolite
14-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Allan, Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on the Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

You should then be able to navigate to the directory containing the files via that dos prompt and delete them.

allan gould
15-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks Phil et al., managed to get there in the end via a Microsoft site and help page.

marki
16-04-2012, 02:39 PM
At least you got your GPS working Allan, I cannot even install the updated software on mine so its useless right now. Whoever is programming TOMTOM Home should be sacked as it really is a piece of crap. Would you believe the customer support person told me not to use it on win7/64 or with exploere 9 as they were having trouble getting their software to work with these programs. Crikey that only rules out 95% of computers in the world.

Mark

allan gould
16-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Sorry for your pain Mark. What made me boiling mad was someone in the programming division knew enough to make the damned folders need both administrator and system approval before you could do anything to it. Even Microsoft said it would be a difficult and long winded procedure that sometimes is not adequate.
I will not ever be connecting my device to the PC again. I'll wait until the road system is so crappy that I'll buy a new one.

AdrianF
17-04-2012, 05:52 PM
My TomTom is now as useful as a brick after trying to instal a purchased map ~99$ and no communication from TomTom to help.

Adrian

Tandum
18-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I just got a new CD of 2012 AU/NZ maps for my garmin off ebay for $28. That cd put the maps on an SD card which plugs into the gps and away you go.
I was kicking myself for not getting a tom tom there for a while, I thought they did free map updates.

AdrianF
22-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Managed to get my tomtom working now. Had to download new map as the one I purchesed from TomTom was corrupt.

Adrian

marki
22-04-2012, 02:15 PM
I gave up and sent mine back to be fixed. I have two TOMTOM units both are golive 2050's though one is local version and the other is the world version. Strangely the world version is recognised as a 1005 (came in a 2050 box???) and this is the one thats giving me the s@#*s. I did not buy both as TOMTOM sent me a 2050 unit as a replacement for the golive 1000 I had in which the battery died after 8 months (took 3 months for them to do it). This 2050 unit updated without problem so I believe the world 1005 version itself is faulty. Lucky I have the spare which I had to grab back from the old man for a few weeks/months (I gave him the one TOMTOM sent me as I had bought the other before they sorted it) which makes me feel bad but it is the only thing that is keeping me in possession of a licence right now.

Mark

Irish stargazer
24-04-2012, 09:22 PM
My tomtom via stopped picking up the gps signal about four weeks ago out of the blue. I could get it to work with a hard reset, just enough to get me to the south pacific star party. I downloaded tomtom home on my return to see if it would fix the problem. It seems to have worked- it's picking up the gps signal now.