PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion ED102t CF Thoughts

mitch
08-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi All,

I'm not sure whether this is the correct section of the forum for this post, if it is, apologies.

I purchased an Orion ED102t CF in early March and have been meaning to write up my thoughts on it. Now that work has eased and the weather has turned, it seems a perfect time.

From a visual point of view the scope is absolutely stunning. The carbon fibre looks a real treat.
The build quality of the scope seems to be excellent too, there were no markings or dust in the objective and the big 3" focuser seems very sturdy and solid (It also has a locking nut underneath to secure the focus if needed). Another great feature is the rotatable focuser, it makes framing images a breeze.

I'm not much of a visual observer, however when I put an eyepiece in the view was very crisp and bright. Unfortunately the highest magnification I could get was 270x so could not determine whether any false colour appeared at higher magnification. However none was visible at 270x when looking at sirius or the full moon.

Now onto the reason I bought this scope. Imaging.
I haven't yet had a decent bash at a proper imaging session (poor weather) however of the limited data I have obtained i've been blown away. I was able to capture NGC5182, M83 with 8 1 minute subs with very good colour and little blooming. The longest photo I've taken was Eta Carinae a few nights ago which I managed to get 20 2 minute subs and I couldn't be happier with the results I got.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this scope and unfortunately can't offer any criticism yet as I haven't been able to find any. Fingers crossed it remains that way :D

I'll post up the photos when I get on the laptop tonight.

CoolhandJo
19-03-2013, 03:09 PM
hi Mitch

where did you purchase your ed102 from?

toc
19-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Does this scope need a field flattener?

mitch
21-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi Paul,
I purchased it from Bintel. However I believe Orion have stopped making them.

Hi Tim,
If you were to use a big chip you would most likely need one.
There is a small amount of curvature in the corners, but it hasn't been enough to push me to get a flattener for it.

Here's an early image I posted with no cropping
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=92531

CoolhandJo
21-03-2013, 12:00 PM
thats too bad! looked like a really good scope. I wonder why they stopped producing them? anyone have any other brand ideas?

gbeal
21-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Paul,
I tried a couple of Kson ED102 F6 scopes, available in CF if so desired. They were very nice, certainly visually, but had a small amount of CA when imaging. I could be wrong but they were very similar to the Orion supplied versions too.
PM me if you want contact details.
Gary

CoolhandJo
21-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks Gary. Have my eye on any ed102 that has 51 or 52 class glass. Preferably triplet. Hopefully cf.
:lol: