PDA

View Full Version here: : Television

Tandum
06-04-2012, 03:02 AM
I know there is some sort of quota on the number of US shows the free to air channels can pick up and I've seen House, Vampire Diaries and Homeland advertised but honesty they are not picking up the best of the best.

Why is it so? Are they too expensive? Aren't they allowed to buy form certain US Cable channels? I don't understand at all.

I know Boardwalk Empire was picked up by showtime here from HBO. But has anyone with showtime heard of Game of Thrones, now in it's 2nd season made by HBO?

We dumped cable tv here, $80/mth for hogans heros was a little over the top.

Timothy Olyphant, the sheriff from deadwood stars in Justified, also in it's second season. Broadcast on cable by FX in the US. There are quite a few others just as good.

Why won't they show these shows here ? Why not on cable so you get your $80 worth ?

Do we really want My Kitchen Rules and Renovators as the stable for the masses? How about, I'm so fat I got on TV !! Who watches this crap?

Barrykgerdes
06-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Never mind Robin.

The weather will eventually clear and you will not need the TV for entertainment.:thumbsup::lol:

Barry

PS I still think the umpteenth run of Hogan's heros is better than that other stuff.:thumbsup:

xstream
06-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Robin, If you had kept your subscription, you would be watching Justified on FX also Hell on wheels is another worth watching.

Mentioning Deadwood, it would have to be one of the best produced series to have come out of the U.S. I have the DVD set and have just finished watching the series again for the fourth time

kustard
06-04-2012, 08:42 AM
We were spending $120 on Foxtel to pretty much watch reruns of M*A*S*H and Charmed and decided that it just wasn't worth it any more. I went out and bought a decent PVR and now we just record free to air TV and if there is anything we really want desperately we use AppleTV (which has shows like Game of Thrones) for TV shows and movies and you can rent or buy from the iTunes system.

Saves us all that cash which I'm hoping to use for better (read eyepieces hehe) uses :)

I'm certainly over the reality tv program genre, I have enough drama in my own life without having to be forced to watch other peoples drama in my free time.

clive milne
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Game of Thrones is excellent...
In the same league (imho) are Breaking Bad
and the series called Dexter.

mithrandir
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
JB Hi-Fi are plugging Game of Thrones on DVD.

Tandum
06-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I didn't know FX was on cable here now. I saw first season of Hell on wheels, more would be good.

xstream
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Being on the road (Grey Nomads) we subscribe to austar, maybe time for you to re-subscribe to Foxtel. ;)

MrB
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Deadwood is genius. I've lost count how many times I've watched it through.
A real shame they never did a wrap-up season 4 or the rumored movie to tie-up loose ends.
The Wire was another excellently produced series, season four in particular.

For some reason I just cant get into Game of Thrones... does nothing for me.

mithrandir
07-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I got about 50 pages into "A Feast for Crows" and gave up. The previous books were fine.

dugnsuz
06-02-2013, 08:36 PM
You know nothing Andrew Snow!

LewisM
06-02-2013, 08:46 PM
All Chinese to me - I have NO idea what you are all talking about.

Tv is the LEAST used thing in our house. I feel none the worse for it either - just garbage reality TV or Yank shinola.

Stardrifter_WA
06-02-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised that there is anything left to watch on TV, considering the number of repeats there are. Beginning to think that they stopped making anything new.

But, I don't really care anyway, I have heaps of DVD's and there are no ads...yahhh! :P

Octane
07-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Winter is coming, Doug! :D

H

dugnsuz
07-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Indeed, Lord H has the truth of it!

JB80
07-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Not sure what the issue with Feast is, I'm 500 pages in and it's as good as the other books. Maybe not SoS because that is mental but Feast is right up there.

On the TV front Belgium has only just shown series 1, I'm waiting patiently for March for series 2.