PDA

View Full Version here: : New Spectroscopy Book -Now available

Merlin66
01-04-2012, 10:58 AM
"Grating Spectroscopes - How to use them" is now available from Springer and Amazon.
Ideal introduction to spectroscopy for users of the Rainbow Optics or Star Analyser gratings.

cfranks
01-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the note. It hasn't yet hit the shelves of The Book Depository in the UK (Free postage worldwide) but shouldn't be too long. I have a Rainbow Optics Star Spectroscope that I need to do something about using so this book could be useful.
Charles

Poita
03-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I am enjoying my new toy, but could use some guidance.

'Add to cart'!

Poita
04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Hey, I only now noticed the Author's name :D
I'm ordering my copy now.

Poita
04-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I also noticed this one:
http://www.springer.com/astronomy/astronomy%2C+observations+and+techn iques/book/978-1-4419-7238-5
Which would be better for someone new to it all?

BTW, I'm confused by the Springer site, is it possible to purchase it as an e-book? I tend to read everything on the iPad these days.

Merlin66
05-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Peter,
If you're starting spectroscopy from "ground zero" and intend doing "spectroscopy 101" with a Star Analyser or Rainbow Optics grating, then the "Grating Spectroscopes - How to use them." would be a better choice.
If you want to read more on diffraction gratings, prisms and designing and building spectroscopes, then the other book is better.

mikemasey
16-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey fella's, what is the easiest way to get into spectroscopy down under? I. E. a filter and beginers book, new or second hand??:question: Tx, mike.

Merlin66
16-04-2012, 05:04 PM
The easiest way is to buy a Paton-Hawksley Star Analyser grating and the book mentioned below.
The detail and resolution you can get will very much depend on the equipment you use (standard camera/ lenses or through the telescope with a webcam/ CCD)
Getting started i.e. obtaining a spectrum, is relativity easy; getting good spectra and being able to process them to show all the hidden detail...is a bit more difficult!