PDA

View Full Version here: : A laugh at my expense ...

ZeroID
29-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Up at 4am this morning, sinusitis playing up. Wandered down to bathroom, did the old nasal spray stuff and then through to the dining room to sit while it took effect.
Was gazing out the south facing big window up at the sky, clear night :eyepop: for the third time this week !!
Spotted a flashing light in the low SE sky. Quick flash then about 5 secs till the next. Aircraft I thought. Tried to get an idea of which way it was going, find the nav lights etc with no luck. Moved around trying to get a better view and the light seemed to move in the sky but in no particular defined direction.
Puzzled by this all I took a look behind me to see the green flash of one of our security system detectors in the lounge which was being reflected off the window back at me .... DOH !!! :P :rofl:

Went back to bed ....... :D

Anyone else with 'Doh' moments to share ?
Will help me feel better about mine ..... Yeah Right !! ;)

mental4astro
29-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Maybe in NZ, but not here, mate. Too many knocks to the head from rugby??? :rolleyes:

pixelsaurus
29-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Been there, done that. I have also seen several "UFO's" until I realized that they always moved in the opposite direction to my head. Figured out that bright objects like Sirius, Canopus, Jupiter and the like were internally reflecting off my retina to the back of the eye lens and then registering on my retina. Trap for young players.

mental4astro
29-03-2012, 07:02 AM
See what I mean!!!:screwy:;)

pvelez
29-03-2012, 08:19 AM
I was out on Monday night working on focussing my new spectrograph. I had switched from the electronic focusser to the trusy hand operated R&P focusser as it was easier to take off and on as I worked the spacers. Nothing doing - everytime I moved the focus, switched spacers or cursed, I couldn't get anything to show up on the screen. Man, this must be difficult to focus - I need new spacers etc etc.

You guessed it - I had left the dustcover on the scope - no wonder it was all black! It took me 20 minutes to figure that one out.

Pete

Liz
29-03-2012, 09:51 AM
LOL Brent :lol::lol:

Miaplacidus
29-03-2012, 11:48 AM
You sure it wasn't an orb?

ZeroID
30-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Rugby ?? wassat ? :P