PDA

View Full Version here: : Help with Stellarium telescope control

04Stefan07
26-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I have been trying to setup my scope (130SLT) to be controlled by Stellarium.

I am using a Mac and have a USB to serial converter. I have installed drivers for the cable and the computer can detect it.

In Stellarium I entered all options correctly including the directory of the drivers and status says it is connected but for some reason I cannot send a command to the scope. I choose an object in the program and nothing happens.

Is there some sort of setting I need to adjust on my scope?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Barrykgerdes
27-03-2012, 08:43 AM
What version of stellarium are you using.
What telescope driver format.
As far as I know the telescope selected should be
Celestron NexStar (compatable)

I assume your telescope has been correctly aligned
Do you get cross hairs appearing on you screen anywhere. (current telescope position)
After selecting a star the goto command should be ctrl 1

Barry

04Stefan07
27-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I am using version Stellarium 0.11.2

I followed these instructions.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/117787-using-stellarium-control-your-mount-mac-solution.html

On the very last post on Page 1 there was a link for drivers to use on the Mac Os X 64-bit kernel which I installed.

My Mac detects the cable in system information and in Stellarium, It just wont move at all! :S.

I have not noticed any cross hairs but I will check again.

Barrykgerdes
27-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi Stefan

I don't know much about the Mac's. However your USB-Serial adaptor should have come with an installation disk suitable for your computer and it appears to be operational if your computer can see it. There should be a "information" way on your computer to tell you what the com port number is.

Your Telescope should have a manufacture's cable to connect to an RS232 port. If this is connected to the telescope and computer via the USB-Serial adaptor the telescope configuration program should be able to find the telescope at the com port you have installed the adaptor in.

If you added your telescope with the right parameters I would expect you would have used the nexStar option in which case, pressing the start button should change from stopped to connected.

If this occurs the current telescope position should have a red cross hair indication over this location in stellarium. If this does not happen you are not connected to the telescope and further testing will be necessary to find out why. If it does show you can now select an object (visible in the telescopes range) in stellarium and press ctrl 1 and the telelescope should start to slew. ctrl 1 should be the first telescope.

Barry

2stroke
30-03-2012, 08:33 PM
hmm could always try 32 mode

Try rebooting manually hold the 3 2 keys, verify or deny you kernel:

Apple() --> About this Mac --> More info --> Overview -->SystemReport

System Software Overview:

64-bit Kernel and Extensions:
No if it is boot into 32-bit,
Yes if it is booted 64-bit

Just in case you don't have a 64 bit module/kext for the usb / serial or problem with the ascom 64bit kext ect.

A23649
09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
try running VMWare and within that run stellarium and Stellarium scope (also free) and make sure ASCOM and the ASCOM drivers for your scope are downloaded and follow the instuctions on the websites. this is the way i have been running it but i don't know if there is a way to run it natively.

cheers,
nathan

04Stefan07
09-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

I tried using the cables with my main Windows 7 machine and no luck, I also tried another PC i have with XP and no luck.

I tried another computer I got that has a serial port and still nothing so I think there is something wrong with the cable.