PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6 PE Win.

Tandum
25-03-2012, 12:45 PM
My eq6pro is several years old now and I've stripped it a few times without any significant improvement in performance. It's alway come back with a PE of +/-17 odd or worse. I've noted recently that RA has been sticking, so decided to strip it again. This time instead of paying up for quality german worm bearings I got a set of cheapish abec 7 bearings off ebay. The higher the abec number the closer the tolerances, no abec number normally means abec of 1.

This time I removed and disgarded the shields from the main 6008 bearings on the worm ring gears and shafts, the em-200 bearings have no shields, flushed them all out and repacked them with a red ptfe grease I got from supercheap auto parts. I measured the required spacer needed to go under the worm ring gears and came up with .85mm. Instead of using those teflon/plastic spacers that come with the mount I put in one 1mm fibre washer as used in the em-200.

To my surprise I'm getting a filtered PE figure of +\- 6 odd. I managed to get the mount drift aligned and captured 2 full worm periods before it clouded over again. WooHoo, a Win at last and the mount runs a whole lot quieter as well.

peter_4059
25-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Great outcome Robin. If you want some really good 608 worm bearings these are up there with the best:
http://www.bonesbearings.com/products/bearings/bones-swiss-ceramics/

Tandum
25-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Cheers pete but I'm pretty happy with my $24 abec 7 bearings off ebay :)
I did notice 2 of the 6008 bearings in the eq6 have a noticeable rattle when cleaned and spun, so next time I'll swap them out.