PDA

View Full Version here: : Gemini 2 - PC control

pmrid
15-03-2012, 06:48 PM
With my old Gemini 1, I had a very happy rapport going between MaximDL and the Gemini - plate solving, syncs, all that good stuff.

I've upgraded to Gemini 2 and am struggling with it a bit.

I haven't yet been able to get an ethernet connection working - I've been concentrating on the USB connection that installs a virtual ComPort for the Gemini - the same as Software Bisque does for the PMX etc. But I can't get Macxim to talk to the G2 at all. In fact, it hangs every time. I know the ComPort works because TheSkyX talks to the G2.

But it's Maxim I want to use. Maxim uses the Gemini.net driver whereas TSX seems to have it's own.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about getting Maxim to talk to me - or more to the point, to talk to G2.

Peter

scagman
15-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I Peter,

I use MaximDL & TheSkyX and have both talking to my G2 powered G11. In Maxim I use Ascom with SKyX as the driver. I had to download the latest TheSky Controlled Telescope ascom driver from here http://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm down near the bottom.

Hope this helps.

jamiep
16-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Peter,

Have you joined the Gemini 2 yahoo group yet .... Tons of great info there?

Jamie

MarkA
18-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Peter, I can help just PM me your phone number
Mark

pmrid
19-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Hey guys, I have some serious problems with this Gemini 2.
I just tried again to connect via USB to Maxim using the Gemini.net drivers.
There was a long delay, repeated timeout messages but after a while Maxim reported that it had connected. But it would not obey any commands.
So I disconnected it and tried the same thing via TheSkyX and again, it reported that a connection had been made but no commands were being obeyed. I checked the log and commands were reported as having been sent and received.
So I disconnected the PC entirely and decided to just use the hand controller. And this is the ugly part - it too had become unresponsive. The only action the mount would take was to slew to the west using the relevant arrow - but not to any other arrows, no slew or goto commands etc.

To all intents and purposes, it is dead.

Guys, does anyone have any words of encouragement?

Peter

h0ughy
19-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Peter,
I have the titan with g2 but i have been too scared to play wiht the system, i stole the handbox from my G11 g1 (1.05) and put it on the hardware on the titan, changed to the titan50 and went on my merry way. I have yet to upgrade the control box with the current drivers and flashing the eprom on the g2 - i suppose i really should do that. I will be brutally honest i could never get the g11 and the sky to work with my dome - i just use the ascom dome control outside of the sky - it works with the gemini.net driver - quite well.

pmrid
19-03-2012, 01:24 PM
G'day David.
I have just connected via the ethernet port on the G2 but without being able to achieve any more than when using the hand control - slews in one direction only in RA, not at all in Dec and won't respond to any commands invloving goto or park etc.
Looks like it's going home to momma.
Peter

h0ughy
19-03-2012, 02:08 PM
did you upgrade the controller to the latest firmware?

pmrid
19-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Not sure what the latest is but the boot up process identifies itself as being vintage December 2011. I think it's pretty recent. But I will check. But since my Gemini 1 had a not dissimilar problem only a month or so back, I suspect the worst.
Peter

icytailmark
19-03-2012, 03:28 PM
have you installed the USB drivers? latest drivers for ascom? Ive had the gemini 2 for a year now so if you need some help just send me a msg. December 2011 is the latest firmware. You can download a program which helps with the upgrade of the firmware. It really is great.

http://www.gemini-2.com/ is a really helpful site. You can download the installer from that website.

http://www.gemini-2.com/GeminFileuploader.php the updater is on that page.

I highly recommend you master the gemini 2 hand controller before you let the computer do all the slewing. You need to do your star alignments first. You must do both an eastern and western model for goto.

TrevorW
19-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I can control the G2 via hand controller, ethernet, usb (using Stellarium scope) etc but I don't use Maxim for guiding so hasn't been an issue

Alignment I use Alignmaster

Check the user group for latest firmware, also maybe PM, Mill,who's a G2 guru

mill
19-03-2012, 06:05 PM
The latest firmware is December 30 and in the beta group we are in March 15 and that is close to the release date.
We are busy testing pec and hope to bring out the firmware soon.
When you want to guide in Maximdl then you have to config the scope within the observatory control and start it from there.
It is the button with the obs picture on it.
Gemini ascom has to be running already or Maxim will have a hissy fit :P
I recommend running the G2 via the lan connection as it is fast and has double precision and it has to be configured the same as the G2 unit EG: 192.168.0.100 (the 100 can be any number but not 111) and subnet 255.255.255.0 or else you won't be able to connect to the Gemini.
Star alignments can be done through Thesky6 and works well.
Anyone who wants to have the firmware put on a spare or the original sd card send it to me after a PM and i will pay the return postage (an offer i have also made on the Gemini 2 yahoo group).
Afcourse i can't put the beta firmware on non beta testers sd cards:P