PDA

View Full Version here: : IIS'ers are the best people (and the rest aren't bad either)

Poita
15-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I keep reading doom and gloom about how crapulent society has become, so I just wanted to state for the record, that the IIS crew are really the best people.

About 6 months ago, I decided to do an experiment and start loaning out some of my gear to noobs or people who were about to spend money that couldn't get to try stuff first. I know I have bought things before and been disappointed, and my money is extremely tight, I average minimum wage each year, so hate making a wrong purchasing choice!

So I started posting gear out to people who really could use a trial run of things.
Over the last 6 months I have loaned out a range of eyepieces, zooms, focal reducers and correctors, a QHY8 CCD, DMK21 CCD, a Celestron Neximage, an OAG, some OIII and UHC filters, some other things I've probably forgotten, and even a C8.

I haven't met a single one of the people I have posted these things out to, yet everything always came back in as good, (or better!) condition than I sent them out in.
Some just came back as they were, some had lovely notes of thanks, some had lovely notes of cash(!) to cover postage, and I even got a bottle of wine and choccies once!

So to any naysayers that talk about how untrustworthy the general populace has become, I'm not buying it. There are always bad eggs out there, but I tend to assume that most people are good, and I am rarely disappointed. This seems especially true here, but I must say, in the general public I get mostly good experiences as well.

I've also never had a single thing go missing in the post!

Thanks everyone, you are all bloody wonderful, and a great big thanks to everyone that helps me out when I ask my often thoughtless questions, without the accumulated knowledge here, I would be still shuffling around in the dark and would have wasted my money on many an occasion.

traveller
15-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Good on ya Peter, what goes around comes around. Good to see (and hear) karma is still around.
Bo

leon
15-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Excellent Peter, :thumbsup: I know exactly what you are saying, most people are honest and welcome a helping hand, wonderful gesture on your part, well done.:thumbsup:

Leon :thumbsup:

Poita
15-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Some people really did send them back in better condition than they left in.
My C8 has been cleaned, collimated and effectively refurbished!

Octane
15-03-2012, 01:11 PM
:)

Nice to read that. :)

H

GeoffW1
15-03-2012, 02:52 PM
It is good to read of this :thumbsup: I am heartened, although I always did think this of IIS generally :hi:

Cheers

Screwdriverone
15-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Very good to hear Peter,

Makes a nice change from the norm, as you say, too much is focussed on the bad these days.

Maybe there is hope for us after all eh? :)

A nice idea to post this, thanks

Cheers

Chris

stardust steve
15-03-2012, 03:23 PM
You have a generous heart Peter, good on you. I was reading the advice you gave on drift aligning too (took me 10 mins to read) it was that long. It was very in depth and informative and easy to understand. It made me realise just how close i got to ok polar alignment the other night. As well as Screwdriver one and many others who have taken the time to help others. I am sure you guys have saved many hours of headaches and saved the hobby in general when people might have given up and thought it was all too hard.

Good on you IISers

Screwdriverone
15-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Aww Shucks Steve, thanks for the shout out....;)

Cheers

Chris

jjjnettie
15-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Group hug.
I love you guys and girls. :)

hotspur
15-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes,Peter-We all have a useful forum here,I too have loaned out on three occasions L grade lenses,to people I really do not know,and all have been returned and well looked after.I have had a member pick up some fishing rods for me and help package them up to send to QLD,again I really did not know the gentleman,but he offered to help out.

I have had help from another gentleman,that made me some power supply units for both my EOS cameras,and the cost was very reasonable.

The forums here are very useful,and helpful,and have helped me on so many occasions.

So thanks all.:thumbsup:

wasyoungonce
15-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I to have had assistance for Bill (Visionoz) he lent me a LASER collimator.....damn fine gentlemen gather here!

All I hope is to be able to pass on some of that generosity in the hope it begets more.

There are many other contributors here who bend over backwards to help......too many to mention...a big "atta boys/girls" to all from me.:thumbsup:

This forum & folk....a place I like very much!

barx1963
15-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Good on you Peter. I have been a silent admirer of your generous offers to newbies (and not so newbies!!) on IIS.
Yes IIS people are generally good honest folk, though with so many members it still pays to be at least a little bit careful.

Malcolm

Stardrifter_WA
15-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi Malcolm, I think most people are good honest folk, if you give them the chance. The problem is we only ever hear about the bad in society, rarely the good. But, having said that, I have found IIS citizens to be a cut above the rest, IMHO. Probably because we are always ready and willing to help.

Cheers Peter :)

Screwdriverone
15-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Chris puts his hand up to try out the QHY8......lol ;)

Its a camera I have had my eye on for a while now.....mmmmmm, yummy....

:)

Cheers

Chris

blink138
15-03-2012, 09:39 PM
i dont think this threads going to be locked out ha ha!
its good to pat ourselves on the back now and then,as one of our astute members said on my arrival....... no matter what (even silly) question you ask, someone has already experienced it and has an answer!
pat

ballaratdragons
16-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Good on you Peter for bringing up the point of the community in here.
Thank you for helping those that needed it :thumbsup:

On the other side of it are the people that have helped us as I mentioned here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=20581
(it's pretty old and needs a re-vamp)

SkyViking
16-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Very nice and inspiring post Peter. ISS is really a great place - and thanks again for your generous offer to me last year.

avandonk
16-03-2012, 10:20 AM
When it becomes the normal thing to do to help your fellow humans the world will be a far better place.

Bert

Ric
16-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Well put Bert and so true.

Good on you as well Peter

So often there is a lot of attention paid to the bag eggs and never enough to the good eggs of which there are a lot more.

Cheers

iceman
16-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice thread, Peter. And great to see. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy too.

I too, have personally been the beneficiary of some very generous IIS forum members.

I love belonging to such a great community!

Forgey
16-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Thankyou Peter for your generosity

seeker372011
16-03-2012, 08:29 PM
thanks Peter for your help.

norm
17-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Good story Peter :)

There is fath in humanity after all.

I find without hesitation that many of the folks during Pony club outings or even astrocamps are happy to oblige and loan out an eyepiece or 2 for a couple of hours to help do some comparisions and decision makings.

Good bunch of people here!

Norm

Matt Wastell
17-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I agree - we are good folk!

Jen
18-03-2012, 12:05 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: good on ya Peter that was a nice read :thumbsup: Its great to see nice positive threads here on IIS sharing the love :)

blindman
18-03-2012, 10:40 PM
This is really nice to read.
Cheers all, Neven