PDA

View Full Version here: : Canon 60D Purchase or not to purchase?

Stardrifter_WA
14-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a Canon 60D or a 7D DSLR (haven't made up my mind yet on which one) to take to the US with me. I want to get it well before I go so that I know how to use it, as I haven't used an SLR in years.

The local prices in WA are not that competitive compared those in the east. Although it has been mentioned before, I am thinking of getting it from Techrific, as they seem to get an ok rap.

However, has anyone had an warranty issues with them and how did they respond? Has anyone actually had any problems with the Canon 60D?

Cheers Pete

Octane
14-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I've owned a 1-series, 300D, 350D, 40D, 5D, 5D Mark II and I've never had any problems with any of them, ever.

Cameras typically just work. About the worst that can happen to you apart from rain/water damage is a bung shutter. Mine cop a fairly hefty workout and are still going strong.

If you buy grey imports (such as www.d-d-photographics.com.au (http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au)) you are not covered by Canon for warranty. Instead, you have to take your camera back to the place you bought it and they'll get their own technicians to look at it for you.

The 60D has the articulating screen which may be a bonus if you like taking photographs down low or in weird positions.

H

trek1701
14-03-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm happy with my 60D ;)

Cheers Mark

koputai
14-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I love my 7D, but it's a hefty camera. Coupled with a big lens, like the new 70-300mm L IS, it's waaaaaay heavy to lug around.

The 60D is a smaller beastie, and lighter too. If you are planning on using it a lot, go for the 60D and a light to medium weight zoom lens.

The advantage of the 7D for me is that it is relatively water resistant, and I spend a lot of time on and around boats and rain.

Cheers,
Jason.

midnight
14-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi Peter,

We got a 7D last year from Japan for work and this is a lovelly camera. I recently took it to Europe and tried out it's low light performance. Very happy with it.

At the local camera shop here in Tokyo, they have reduced the 7D pricing again to below AU$1000 equivalent for "clearance". Apparently not doing so well here in Japan or there is a new model coming out but the guys won't say why.

I have not tried the 60D so I unfortunately can not comment.

Good luck,
Darrin...

JB80
15-03-2012, 01:55 AM
:eyepop:

WOW!
We are possibly going to Tokyo for the Venus transit, I'll have to hit you up for the name of that shop then if we do go.
That's an insane price.
Are all the cameras cheaper there?

Sorry to veer off topic guys.

midnight
15-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Several stores have it in Akihabara (H15 on subway) or our local one Bic Camera (they sell everything - 7 floors of electrical - even booze at a good price!) in Yurakucho (Y18 on subway). Make sure you take your passport as some stores give you a 5% discount over Y10,000 (duty free) - no boarding pass required. Bic also have a group discount too up to 10%. Factor in a good exchange rate and it could be worth considering. But the 5D III is not much cheaper than Aus. Go to Bic anyway, you'll spend all day there:D

Darrin...

Poita
15-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Oh man I do miss Akihabara

mplanet62
15-03-2012, 10:29 AM
All 10-60Ds are fantastic cameras. But heavy ones. If you need a camera for travel 550D will suit much better. Functionally it's pretty much the same as 60D minus semi-professional build quality. The body is made of indestructible plastic instead of alloy- hence much lighter. Perfect amateur DSLR. If you are into serious professional or semi-pro stuff - nothing less than7D will make you happy. But it's heavy - both on your shoulder and your hip pocket.

Omaroo
15-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Yep, me too. I used to live in Yokohama near Motomachi as a kid in the 70's, and went to Akihabara by train at every opportunity. Come to think of it, I really miss Japan, period.

leinad
15-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I have 60D, coming from a 40D. Much lighter than the 40D and 7D.
The flip LCD screen comes in handy too. It uses SD Cards also which is handy to quickly remove and plugin to the laptop to review,DL the images.

If you want to use Magic Lantern also; it doesn't work at present with the 7D due to the dual Digic 4 chip.

koputai
15-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Me too !

We lived in Roppongi/Akasaka (above Suntory Hall, next to the ANA). The frequent trips to Akihabara, Tokyu Hands in Shibuya, riding the pushy around the palace, all the naughty girl brochures everywhere at night, the beautiful food, the free tissues at every turn......

Tokyu Hands is an amazing shop, you can have curtains made for your windows, and while you wait you can go to another department and buy a lathe, a model airplane, or a pair of shoes.

An amazing place, must go back.

Camera-wise, there's also Yodobashi Camera, and the huge Laox store in Akihabara. Laox is mainly computer stuff, but they've got a small camera section that is bigger than anything here in Oz.

Cheers,
Jason.

[1ponders]
15-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Love my 60D, took some getting used to the different control functions and placements than my old 20D, but so far can't fault it on performance.

AstralTraveller
15-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but I think it's relevant. How does a 60D compare to a 7D?? I started looking into this the other day but got distracted. Initially they look quite similar - same sensor. The 60D, being newer, may even have some features that the 7D lacks - the screen is an obvious one.

Of course the other option I've noticed is that 5D Mk II are now pretty cheap - certainly relative to the Mk III. Drool.

leinad
15-03-2012, 01:35 PM
SD Card, accessories control is headjack type connector.
Heres a good review
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D

koputai
15-03-2012, 02:17 PM
For a start the 7D has Dual DIGIC's whereas the 60D only has one. The 7D shoots 8fps, the 60D 5fps. Not sure if the 60D has wireless flash controller built in, but the 7D definitely does. It's very cool.

Cheers,
Jason.

[1ponders]
15-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I've just spent some time trying APT camera control with the 60D. Works fine.

trek1701
15-03-2012, 08:52 PM
For me for the intended purpose is astro work not sports the discussion was easy.

Weight
Flip Screen with Higher Res

PRICE

Regards Mark

Stardrifter_WA
15-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks everybody for you great advise, it is much appreciated.

As weight is a consideration, I have decided to go with the 60D.

Now, I just have to work out the best place to get it. Local or imported?

Cheers Pete :)

midnight
15-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Good luck Peter with your choice:thumbsup:. I was thinking of getting a 60D myself but we ended up with the 7D. In the end, you'll grow to enjoy your choice fairly quickly. And yes the 7D is heavy!! I have occassionally left it behind on the odd trip because of this.

Cheers,
Darrin...

Stardrifter_WA
17-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great advice. I was going to wait for the update of the Canon 60D but decided to take the plunge today and picked one up locally for a really good price; too good to pass up. :D Got over $200 off and a 32G Verbatim card thrown in.

Now the fun starts in learning how to use it properly :D

Cheers Peter

koputai
17-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Excellent, good on you Peter, I'd be happy with one of those.

Now it's just the slippery lens slope you have to negotiate!

Cheers,
Jason.

Octane
17-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Top stuff! You'll have plenty of fun. Enjoy the articulating screen. :)

H

Stardrifter_WA
17-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I got it with the twin lenses, which will have to do, for this year at least. :D

Cheers Peter

Baddad
18-03-2012, 09:03 AM
A few mths after I bought my 60D the battery failed.
The city Brisbane store replaced it. No issues.
That was a year ago. Have not had any problems since.

Cheers

midnight
18-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Nice Choice Peter!

I was in Yokohama yesterday and found this 60D and the guy there offered 15% off the price so around Y64,000 which is just under AU$800 (body only and provided I had a foreign passport) + 2.5% Mastercard fee.

I don't know what they sell for back in Aus but probably not much different. But memory cards are not cheap here in Japan. The guy tried to sell me a 7D (unpopular here in Japan for some reason) for not much more!

Anyway, good luck and you'll enjoy it. Let us know how you go!!

Darrin...

Stardrifter_WA
18-03-2012, 09:01 PM
I think that is just a little less than it is here. I won't get to play with my new camera for a couple of weeks yet, as I have two assignments that I have to get finished. A good incentive to get them done :D