PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ 6 replacement Alt bolts

graham.hobart
10-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I just got my replacement bolts for my EQ 6 and after taking the old ones out, I managed to put one back in, the other one- (locking nut?-nearest the Az knobs side) won't fit. So I tried to put the old one back in and now they don't fit either. I cleaned the hole out with WD 40 and cotton buds but still it won't screw in. Any one had this same problem and know a cheap solution that doesn't involve me mailing the whole mount head to some one to re bore and thread the hole?
Bare in mind I am a Luddite with tools.
Help please
Grateful Graz

casstony
10-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi Graham, check that the old and new threaded bolts are the same thread by pushing the bolt shafts together to see that the threads properly mesh/match. When starting to screw the bolt in turn it in reverse until the thread clicks into place then turn it clockwise to thread it in. If the threads in the mount are damaged you'll either need a local IIS'er with mechanical aptitude to clean up/re-tap the hole, or you could take the mount and bolt to a local metal shop and ask them to do it for you. You won't need to post the mount.

There were a few mechanical oddities on the ota I bought from you so I know you're not joking when you say you're not good with tools :) . It's all straightened out now and the optics are very nice :thumbsup:.

Nico13
10-03-2012, 09:37 PM
What Tony said. Yes a local engineering shop will be able match up the threads and run a tap in to clean it up if it's not too badly damaged.
A straight forward job really. :thumbsup: