PDA

View Full Version here: : FLI Jigsaw Puzzle

avandonk
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Here are some images of all the bits. I am sure I need some adapters. Bintel is on the case but has anyone got any ideas. Please let me know.

Thanks Bert

avandonk
07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
A couple more.

strongmanmike
07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
With the Atlas attached to the RH, that adapter coming out of the Atlas, that I assume OS made?... should have the required thread to connect directly to the CFW, did OS not ensure that is possible..??

The CFW connects directly to the ProLIne without an adapter, there should be two long bolts that go through the two corners of the Proline body and screw into the face of the CFW housing and there are two recessed grub screws in the side of the CFW as well that tighten onto the ProLine aperture flange in the last photo, this all makes the CFW-ProLine unit very solid.

Not sure on where the confusion is here..?

Geez it looks awesome, probably the most awesome looking unit I have seen in amature hands actually! The possibilities are mind boggling.

Mike

avandonk
07-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks Mike I wondered what these bolts were for in picture one. Us amateurs have not played with FLI stuff at all.

In picture two you can see the bit that has the same thread as the FLI CFW. It will need to be inverted?

Picture three is just the icing on the cake!

Bert

strongmanmike
07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Yep they are the bolts :thumbsup:

If that top thread screws into the CFW thread then yep I'd say that's it.

Do you have the back focus measurement for the RH?

Mike

avandonk
07-03-2012, 02:30 PM
The given in the manual back focal length from the backplate is 115mm.

I just measured all the bits with a digital caliper to estimate the total length and I got 113.2 mm. This is with the CFW flush with the OS supplied part on the Atlas focuser.

It all looks very promising.

Just got word that my PMX mount is in Sydney and after it tours the Opera house it may come down to Melbourne to do some work.

Bert

bartman
07-03-2012, 02:54 PM
:whistle:The foot bone connects to the leg bone,:whistle:....... the leg bone connects to the hip bone ,:whistle:......... the hip bone connects to the backbone......:whistle:.........
:2thumbs:
All fixed now?
:P
Bartman

gregbradley
07-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks good Bert. Those 2 bolts are an improvement FLI came up with otherwise there can be minor flex between the PL and the CFW.

I like the recessed filter holding screw system. That's new. Its better than the older simple stainless steel screw and plastic washer that sticks up 2.5mm and can get snagged on the adapters. Also they were shiny.

The PMX is a pretty mount. I am liking mine. It can be simple but it can also be very sophisticated. The 2 supplied counterweights should be enough for your scope. It is just enough for my AP140 and Proline setup which is probably somewhat heavier than your RHA.

The only thing to watch out for on the PMX and it may be just a few of them, they can slip when the scope is badly imbalanced and the three way switch is not set to locked. Its caught me out a few times now.

The other thing is you need to retrieve the envelope from the PMX's box as it has the serial numbers for the software to work.
The manual said it would be tapped to a spot in the box but mine was not. When I queried it I was told it was under the foam insert in the box. Lucky I didn't throw out the box eh? So if the envelope is not where the manual says it should be then it will most likely be right under the foam insert where the mount sits.

There is a pdf from Software Bisque about how to adjust a cam that stops this. Mine obviously needs this adjustment. I'll have to do it next time I use it. It probably would only take 10-15 minutes to do.

Greg.

avandonk
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for that Greg. I am proceeding with great care and will not do anything without being sure of my facts.

Bert

cventer
07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Greg,Bert even better than the PDF for camstop adjustment is the video I made. Search forum for Maintenance on PMX. This camstop adjustment will stop your mount slipping unless its massively out of balance. In which case you want it to slip.

Awesome looking bit of gear Bert. Going to take a while to wrap your head around all of it at once.

Cheers
Chris

avandonk
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks Chris I will need all the help I can get. My previous hard yards have given me the strength to hopefully go that bit further. This will not be done alone. I hope to take quite a few along with me.

Down the track I will have an open night or two.

Bert

avandonk
08-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Mike I think I had a mental block as I assumed all the FLI components would fit together using their Zero Tilt Adapter system.

See here.

http://flicamera.com/cfw/index.html

I just could not see how all the components I had would fit together. It is 'obvious' only when you know.

Thanks again.

Bert

CDKPhil
08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi Bert
I ran my PMX for the first time last night. It was only inside, (still cloudy and rain here). It is a great piece of kit, you will love it. Very easy to configure. I can't wait to get it outside and start using it.
I grin every time it comes out of the box.:D

Cheers
Phil

avandonk
08-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Phil just got word it is at Bintel in Melbourne. Going down tomorrow morning to pick it up.

Bert

CDKPhil
08-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Exciting Stuff. :D

gregbradley
08-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Lots of fun.

Its such a nice mount.

Greg.

avandonk
09-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks all. I am trying not to get too excited as I have a lot of work to get on top of all of this new system.

Here are a couple of pictures showing my current rig. It has grown 'organically' over the years with each improvement. If I have a cable failure anywhere it is better to give up for the night as finding it in the dark is almost impossible.

It will be a joy to start with a clean system until I modify it. The first thing is to thermostatically control the optics temperature. I have a PID which can hold the temperature within 0.2 C. It is the little black box at the rear of the Peltier fridge.

Fun times ahead.

Bert

Omaroo
09-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Ye Gods Bert - how on earth do you balance that... that... uhmm... contraption? :lol: Love it. It'd send me bonkers - from me, Mr "cable must be perfectly laid and cut to length with none crossing another", but it only goes to show that serious result-seekers are in it for the practicality, not aesthetics. :) With all those neural connections it must, somehow, be alive. :thumbsup: Is the new PMX et al going on that pier? Can't wait to see the transformation.

strongmanmike
09-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Man and who said you were an eccentric old scientist :shrug: :rolleyes:

Love it! :rofl: