PDA

View Full Version here: : RTMC or Staellafane?

Stardrifter_WA
03-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Hi Everybody,

To anyone who has been to the United States.

I am in the process or planning a trip to the US early next year for 45 days. It was originally planned for 90 plus days, but finances have curtailed it to 45 days instead, otherwise I would have to wait another year and I don't want to do that. My plan is that I only do half the US, bordered roughly Los Angeles, Washington DC, New York, Seattle back to Los Angeles, with a side trip to Vancouver and Banff.

One of the highlights of the trip will be to go to a major star party, but which one? Do I do Stellafane or the Riverside Telescope Making Conference (RTMC):question: At this point, I am leaning towards Stellafane (Vermont), as I can then go to the Oshkosh (Wisconsin) Air show which is a few days later; and it is only an 18 hour drive between the two.

Alternatively, I do the RTMC and go to New York for NEAF. My original plan was to go to NEAF (May) and finish at Oshkosh (July), but I just cannot afford the three month trip, so something has to go.

Any thoughts on which would be the better Star Party to go to would be very much appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on other places of interest in the US, other than usual tourist destinations.

At this point I have:

1. Flagstaff Observatory. I want to go here as I did some observational work at Perth Observatory in collaboration with Flagstaff, which result in my contributing to several scientific papers, one on which I was co-author, with a few others.

2. Kitt Peak Observatory.

3. Barringer Crater in Arizona along with Grand Canyon.

4. Aircraft Boneyard, Arizona and several other aircraft museums along the way.

4. Colorado Rockies. Specifically, Durango, Silverton and Ouray up the 550 (although, having recently seen this road on TV, I am not sure about this very scary road :eyepop:. But, I have a backbone, so why not) Also Pikes Peak, the highest road in the US.

5. Yellowstone National Park and Yosemite Park.

6. Smithsonian Museums, including Aerospace Museum.

There are several smaller things I want to see along the way.

Any suggestions would be greatly received. This will be my last trip away, unfortunately, so I want to make it the best trip I can.

Cheers Peter

barx1963
03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Hey Peter
Have been to the US a couple of times. Minimal astro stuff as I was with the SWMBO, but a couple of things.
The Air and Space Museum in DC is awesome. They have 2 sites, one on the mall and another out at Dulles airport I believe. You can easily spend a full day at the one in the mall so allow a couple of days if you want to do it properly.

The Mall in DC is full of museums, The Natural History and American History museums I can heartily recommend, both are excellent.
Yosemite is great, stunning scenery, but can get very busy.

How about Mt Wilson? If you have a few $$$ to spare you can book observing sessions on the 60" there, they are doing the same with the 100" but not sure when that starts.

Good luck with the plans

Malcolm

Stardrifter_WA
03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks Malcom,

Yes, I was aware that you need to spend a fair bit of time on the museums in Washington. As for Mt Wilson, I hadn't considered this and will add this to my list. However, I should be able to get some observing time at Lowell (through my past connection with Perth Observatory), but that remains to be seen, at this stage. If not, I will certainly look at Wilson (another pin in the map then)

But, to be fair, if I have any spare cash, at the time, I would love to take a flight on a P51D Mustang and B17 Flying Fortress at the Collings Foundation in Massachusetts. Bit costly, but would be well worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion, it is very much appreciated. :)

Cheers Peter

brian nordstrom
03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
:thumbsup: save a little harder mate and do both?:rofl:
Only young once , there Peter :thumbsup: .
Brian.

Stardrifter_WA
03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks Brian, if I can I will. It is unlikely I will do the P51D, as that costs $3,500, however, you actually get to fly it for that price. The B17 on the other hand only costs about $500 for 1/2 hour. But, observing at Mt Wilson would also be good too. :D Just depends on my dollars and the exchange rate, next year. This is going to be a long 12 months, I want to go now!