PDA

View Full Version here: : NGC2261, NGC2259, NGC2264 almost dead Loss

mswhin63
01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Posting how hard to capture in suburbia. Wanted to try Cone Nebula and Christmas tree Cluster, but was almost a complete loss.

Need a bigger scope and darker skies and possibly a better camera. Stars are good the guiding process is improving but getting some really nasty hum bars across the image. Need to do something to improve this.

After DSS was a confused whether I got the centre of the Nebula although nova.astrometry.net confirmed I was spot on :shrug:

Not worth posting a bigger version.

Ross G
02-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Nice capture Malcolm.

I sympathise with your "suburban" problem. Here in Sydney it's also so difficult to image.
I have started using a Ha filter which helps with the light pollution.

Ross.

multiweb
02-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Well you got the reflection part. :thumbsup: Even Ha from the burbs on the cone needs a significant amount of subs.

mswhin63
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks, I need to carry oout more research before trying to image some objects so that I don't get this wasting a whole night. Good learning excercise though.

Mighty_oz
03-03-2012, 12:16 AM
So what scope did u use ? Camera and length of image ? Defintely use Ha for the suburbs or lots and lots of images to get the hr's worth u need.
Heres 2 pics both 10 min subs 7nm HA with a 106mm scope.
First is unstrecthed , second very stretched in PS

mswhin63
03-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks Marcus, am going to look into some sort of light pollution but HA maybe worth it in the end as if I can upgrade my camera in the future i can continue to use the filter. LPR might only be beneficial for a short time.

I still have a number of projects to clear first, one of them more important is cooling the camera. Other things are my commitments are quite high ATM so everything is going slowly.