PDA

View Full Version here: : What to choose from

SkysoBright
26-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi guys. i'm an old member thats returning to this hobby.. when i left a few years ago i had an 8" dob. it was an awesome first scope. But at the time i wanted more.... i wanted to do astrophotography, but certain situations happened and i just had to walk away.

But now i'm back.

1. I'm looking at purchasing either a HEQ5pro or 6.
2. I want to do DSO work.
3. I'm looking at spending around the $2500 for the scope and mount.
4. I've seen a few skywalker and saxon scopes available in this price range, but am unsure on the quality of these brands.
5. Another thing i am unsure of is if i should get a camera 300D or the like, or if i should go a CCD unit.

6. In terms of "What else i need" can someone point me in the right direction... i'm talking about equiptment to get me shooting good quality photo's with the equiptment at hand (leaving experience out of it for now).

seeker372011
26-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Sure lotsofpeople will respond, but don't get an300d

At least a 350d or better. You will find it a lot easier to get software that supports your camera. And the noise in the 300d is horrendous. I am a past owner of not one but two 300d?.one modded

And a synta.sky walker..is a perfectly serviceable low end mount..get the larger capacity if you can afford it. It's a lot heavier but gives you the capacity to add gear in future

SkysoBright
27-02-2012, 05:56 PM
anyone else :)

wasyoungonce
27-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Jase. How about an HEQ5 (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7349) and ED80 (https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7290).

The HEQ5 will carry the ED80 no problems. An EQ6 is a "bigger brother" so is better suited if you want "bigger scopes" in the future, but ATM a HEQ5 is ample.

The ED80 is a fine (Legend) starter imaging scope. Actually saying it's a starter scope is underrating it a lot! Its a damn fine scope.

Also a refractor will give you ease of operation compared to a newt. A larger newt on an HEQ5 will be pushing it a bit, so ED80!

The you need a guide scope. Look around these forums for people using finder scopes as guide scopes.

Then you need a guide camera. You can use a WEB cam as one but a Q Guider (http://www.gamaelectronics.com.au/QHY%20Cmos.html) (or such like) will simplify it all. Then you need a lappy to control the mount guider...then dew heaters...then power supplies....then...learning curve....then...

Not trying to put you off. I can see $2.5k blow out to $3k very easily! Research research research!

Suffice to say a HEQ5 and ED80 is a great starter set-up.

Brendan

SkysoBright
27-02-2012, 06:46 PM
yeah, thanks for the info. not dissing the ED80, but wouldn't i get better images with the 8 or 10" newt?

i have the laptop which i plan to use for astro work. so it's mainly everything else. i was reading last night that a guide scope will increase exposure times dramatically and am seriously considering that idea if and when i spend the money.

Poita
27-02-2012, 06:49 PM
If you can stretch, Get the EQ6, it is only a couple of hundred more, and you won't outgrow it anywhere near as quickly, otherwise you may find you are selling the HEQ5 within a year anyway....

An ED80 is a good start, but this might be better:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=86779

There is a HEQ5Pro in the classies that has been there a while too. Maybe make an offer to both of them and see if you can get the pair for under $2500.

Photography is a whole other ballgame. I'd personally get a 2nd hand cooled CCD like a QHY8, but you can do nice work with a DSLR, I just found them frustrating though. Avoid the 300D though, get something with better software support.

Poita
27-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Better images of .....?
Planets, yes. DSOs, it depends, some are so large that the field in an 80mm or 110mm refractor would be a better option. They are easier to handle, don't have much in the way of collimation to deal with, the mount handles them much more easily and you don't have diffraction spikes ruining your images.

A 10" Newtonian would be a bit much for a HEQ5 when loaded with photography gear in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

wasyoungonce
27-02-2012, 08:18 PM
A newt on a EQ mount works but there are the added issues of collimation to learn...and collimation sag due to OTA/Camera mass. The mass of a camera (and coma corrector & yadda) can sag a newt OTA one way but as the mount moves this sag vector will change, effecting collimation (depending on OTA rigidity, camera mass etc) . This can be a big issue for even experienced users and why short FL are the rage (and they gather light quickly) and they have less moment arm...that's why I recommend the ED80.

A big newt on an EQ (lets say an 10" @F4) is over a metre and this can be easily upset with even mild breezes.

There are always nice scopes for sale here 2nd hand and maybe one of these can suit you.

A guide camera does auto corrections (with guide software) to the system tracking the object, keeping it centred. But there are limits due to how well you aligned the mount to the SCP, OTA sag, breeze, the capability of the mount, ...but generally always use a guide camera.

Need an EQ6 for a big newt.

Just say'in!

Screwdriverone
27-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Hi Jase,

Some absolute ED80 bargains in Icetrade at the moment, a gold one (a corker) http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=86988

as well as an Orion ED80, which is even cheaper.

Best thing about these is they can be "downgraded" from an imaging scope to a guidescope later if you upgrade the main OTA. Its been done before.....

Now, I use an Orion Mini guidescope ($119 from Bintel) and a toucam ($100) for guiding using PHD, which is a free program. this whole set up weighs about 500grams and works a treat. You could also use a Prostar planet cam (better resolution) from My Astro Shop for $129...new!

An HEQ5 Pro will set you back (new) from Bintel (as thats where you can buy the mini guidescope from) $1249.

So, if you get the gold ED80 (a cracking scope) for $400 ish, then you should be ready (with the purchase of a DSLR for say $500 ish for a Canon 1000D or 1100D body) to get some photos. Oh yeah, a T ring as well, will cost you $35 from Bintel, and this allows you connect the camera to the scope. You can self mod the cam to remove the UV/IR filter, to give true capture response of Ha wavelengths, something I am tempted to do on mine shortly.

To power the mount, a rechargeable battery pack from super cheap auto for about $60 will go all night and do the trick.

To get perfect focus, use a bahtinov mask for about $35. (cheaper here if you get one made, check the classifieds)

Maybe also a Astronomik CLS filter to cut light pollution (clip in EOS one) for $169 from Bintel (optional) but recommended.

So, in summary - see how it all stacks up!!!!???

New HEQ5 Pro = $1249
ED80 Gold (ICETrade) = $430
Canon 1100D body (Outback photo) = $328
Orion Miniguidescope = $119
Prostar Planet cam = $129
T ring = $35
Battery pack = $60
Bahtinov mask = $35
CLS EOS clip in filter = $169
Subtotal (I say subtotal as there is more, but I will stop here) of $2554....

Close to budget and if you get all that, a corker of a set up which will produce some fine images! obviously you could get under this with the Orion scope but would need rings and a finder, or eliminate the CLS filter and save $169 but you get the idea.

Hope this helps, you could save a bit and buy an 8" reflector OTA like I have which are about $350-400, gives more light but also introduces collimation and weight / coma / sag issues as mentioned before. I have these issues which I am slowly sorting out. An ED80 is much easier and beautiful to photograph through.

Good luck

Cheers

Chris

SkysoBright
27-02-2012, 10:04 PM
thanks for your responses guys. can't thank you enough for the quality of the information you have provided and the knowledge to back it up. you've just about talked me into the 80mm refractor scope. and the budget is going to be considerably less given that i'm not going to a 10" newt.

definately saved me a huge learning curve on the collimation issue with the weight and distortion.

oh yeah, i should mention that i'm interested in photographing DSO's.

Screwdriverone
27-02-2012, 11:45 PM
You did mention that already Jase,

DSO's are well within the ED80's range, the nice relatively wide field gives some excellent views as well as beautiful shots of nebulae, clusters and even the odd galaxy and the F7 focal length means that coma isnt such an issue on a DSLR as it is with a fast F5 or F4 newt like mine.

It should really be the Astrophotography scope de jeure for beginners as it is simple to use and as it is ED, provides some stunning photos and crisp visual goodies too.

I was asked by my sister in law what scope to get her hubby for a significant anniversary and without missing a beat, Black diamond ED80 on an ALT-AZ (AZ3) with the aluminium case at the time was something like $999 driveaway.

He is not a technical or astrophotography inclined person but is fascinated as to what is up there and had a few looks through my 12" dob and 8" HEQ5 Pro. He LOVES his ED80 as its a doddle to set up and use, no collimation to worry about, he just plonks it down and looks through it, using the Alt-Az mount like a pro.

I have had the pleasure of sampling it visually and its stunning, not as large an image as my 8" or 12" as its focal length is shorter, but a joy to use and something I am planning to steal for a bit to whack on my HEQ5 pro for some astrophoto goodness when he is looking the other way.......WHAT ED80? I will reply when he asks me where it is....;)

Hope you can grab one of the bargains while they last, they really are a nice place to start and probably a scope you will never want to part with.

Have fun with your purchase.

Cheers

Chris

ZeroID
28-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Just an illustration of the EQ6\10" Newt combination. My current setup ( yet to take any serious pix ). The Newt is a Serrurier truss design, courtesy of Rolf ( Sky Viking) which gets around the sag issues but also reduces the weight immensely. Even so it comes in at about 11kg bare without accessories, ... guidescope etc. The EQ6 will handle 25 kg it reckons but it's still a lot and needs careful balancing. I will soon add my 80 mm Achro as a guider and DSLR through the Focusser. Trying to keep it all under 20kgs. So a solid tube 10" would almost be the full weight on an EQ6 without any extras.
It will all go onto a pier in the near future ...

SkysoBright
28-02-2012, 02:55 PM
i think i will spend the money on a dedicated CCD digital camera over the DSLR. size and weight being an issue, but i plan to run things from my computer.

i will aim ( $$ being the only factor) for a minimum of 6MP camera. i would like to print large photo's from a high quality image.