PDA

View Full Version here: : Orion Autoguider ?

ZeroID
23-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Has anyone using or had experience with one of these ?
There is one for sale over here and from reviews I've read it seems a nice simple option to acheive guiding for astrophotography.
Fair bit of money to lash out on it but if it simplifies and is reliable then might spend the $$.

scagman
23-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I Brent,

I have the Orion Awesome Autoguider package and find it works great. You have to have the extension tube in to reach focus, but that should come with it. The only hassel I have is finding a star. Its a bit fiddly using the screws on the scope rings to find a star. I have now got one of these http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Accessories/SkyWatcher-Deluxe-Guidescope-Mount/728/productview.aspx but havn't got it mounted yet. This should make finding stars a bit easier. I havnt used any other method so cant say how good it is compared to anything else but as a total beginer I found it easy.

ZeroID
24-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Cheers for that John, :thumbsup:

I've got a GPUSB which has yet to be used. I might give that a whirl first via a webcam and PHD on a laptop. Keep it simple to start with and avoid all the EQMOD blah blah options which seem to confuse the issue. If that is too hard then the Autoguider might be the next step.

Really need to build the Observatory first to get round this put up, tear down situation for every session.

scagman
24-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, it would make life a lot easier.

traveller
24-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Would be interested in see how you go. I just bought an OAG package and mounted it on my C8 (stacked). I havent had the time to set up the rig yet. I am hoping to set it up and test it during Snake Vallley camp in March.
Bo

ZeroID
27-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Bo, if I could get some 'cloud free' time then might be able to post some resuluts but at present that is all wishful thinking .....
I'll try and get the hardware all talking to each other in the workshop first and I can leave a trial setup at the garage door as it faces south.

ZeroID
28-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi Bo,
Got all enthusiastic last night despite the clouds and setup the GPUSB and PHD through the 80mm. OK, no stars available but I aimed the setup across the valley to some streetlights about 5 km away. They were wobbling around through the wind blown trees. Set up was
NexImage SSI camera, to USB on SONY Viao laptop to PHD. The GPUSB was plugged into the other USB port and to the ST4 connection on the mount. I set Tracking for zero so no head movement. Selected the Windows WebCam wmv mode ( no specific NexImage driver ) at 640 x 480, dropped the gain down to get dark contrast and focussed up. Selected one of the visible lights in the wee green box and started it up.
Piece of cake, it thought it had guiding going after about 10 minutes and when I engaged head drive it attempted to correct as the light drifted through the fov. 1 second rate, can't remember what the RA count was but the light was wobbling a lot.
I'm happy enough now that I have the mechanicals working that I will give it a go at the first opportunity I get out on the driveway. It wasn't too hard to do time or connection wise. I have a powered hub I'll throw into the equation next time to get some space back from the mount and we'll see if I can up my exposure times from there.

I just gotta do that Ob !!

jjjnettie
28-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Brent, do yourself a favour and buy a cheapy .5 focal reducer for your guide camera. Finding stars should no longer be a problem after that. :)

lol just reread your post...duh...it was a cloudy night to start with.

I use a FR with my setup, it really helps with the webcam. Straight away there are twice as many stars to choose from.

traveller
28-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks Brent, looks like I have a steep learning curve ahead of me :).
Hopefully with cooler weather the mozzies will be lesser of a problem (I am a mozzie magnet). The other thing I need to do is to get rid of the swing set in my backyard so I can actually point south.
Bo

alistairsam
28-02-2012, 01:15 PM
hi Jnettie,

that is a very good idea. have to give that a shot. but since you're adding more glass in, did you find it reduces brightness of the stars at all?
I've got a qhy5 with a 1.25" nosepiece. where would the reducer fit?

on second thought, since you're doubling the FOV, wouldn't the stars move half as much as before, meaning would tracking be less accurate as the star would have to move twice as much to get the same correction?

ZeroID
28-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi JJJ, I'll give it a go first because I can swing the 80mm sideways quite a bit on Skeletopes Accessory bar, there are no side restraints so have to find something in range. Otherwise I'll see if I can find one locally, we ain't got many suppliers over here and they don't carry much. I might build another guide scope from all the bits I've got. And then there's always Bintel across the ditch.

Ahh, more fun things to play with.

>Bo, yeah, steep and expensive although I'm a serious DIY guy so much is built in the workshop.
But I'm still on the steep part !!! LOL

DJT
28-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Hi Brent
I got the auto guider for crimbo with the st 80 and think its great.

I set capture at 2.0 seconds rather than the default 1 as you have to take into account time to nudge the scope in between images. Stars are still pinsharp.

I am also using backyard eos and have been playing with the dither function which improves non random noise reduction by integrating with phd and nudging your guiding a pixel or so off target which is working well.

Its a good bit of kit. Just remember to recalibrate whenever you select a new object. Enjoy

ZeroID
29-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Just done a check on Focal reducer availabilty and prices over here .... we have one option ... and it's $337 !!
Bintel have a similar option .... at $167 !!
Astro Shop in Aus have got a Prostar .5C at $49.95, quite a bit better price but don't know if that will be the right stuff.
It would be cheaper to buy the 50mm mini guide scope from Bintel ($119)and add my camera or even the Orion 80mm OTA package at $239 !!
And which is the same spec as my 80 mm SkyWatcher .... doh !

I'll see how the 80 mm goes before I panic, may work well. When the clouds move on that is !!
Then I'll try building my own from some old binocular components I have. Plenty of options.

Anyone got a cheap Focal Reducer they no longer require ?

And that people, was my 1000th post ...... and still no dang pix, must be a record.
But still having fun. :D :thumbsup:

scagman
29-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Brent, congrates on the 1000th post.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/ have a .5x FR for $29. Cant comment on it thou.

Regards.

PS You must be close to getting those first pics.

ZeroID
29-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Update !!
Forget the cheap FR request. ASTRONZ has had a big upgrade on their website and added lots more gear and some excellent prices.
Ordered a GSO .5 FR for $19.00 and an extender for $10 ..
More toys ...

Cheers John, I hope so ....

scagman
29-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Thats so cheap. Interested to see how it goes.

ZeroID
01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
It's only for Guiding purposes as JJJ suggested but it will be interesting to see how it goes. ASTRONZ is run by the Auckland Astronomical Society for locals so I guess they don't have to be so price conscious. On its way already, confirmed by email.

Must mean more clouds arriving though ... and it's only a little purchase !! :shrug:

ZeroID
02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Talk about quick !! Ordered it Tuesday afternoon and it arrived next day. And of course now we have a weather bomb heading our way for the weekend !!!

It was ONLY a little purchase, sorry about all the rain & clouds :sadeyes:

Wife is away down south till Sat morning on business so I can have a wee play in the garage tonight and see how it works. Just hoping she can get a safe flight back Sat morning, it's all supposed to be happening about then.