PDA

View Full Version here: : Spider droppings

Peter Ward
15-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Just a heads up for those who might have their gear living in a Dome or roll-off observatory.

While doing a clean up in my observatory, I noticed some white spots on the drawtube of my AP155.

They didn't wipe off! :sadeyes:

...they turned out to be small corrosion spots from Arachnid droppings no less!

AP are now re-working and re-plating the drawtube (cost TBA...but I suspect it won't be cheap)

More insect surface spray and a cover sheet is now in place !

allan gould
15-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I thought this was going to be another Sidonio "Rorschach" test type posting. I get the odd gecko in my observatory but not spiders -never thought their droppings could do that much damage. I hope the draw tube comes back in mint condition as its irksome to have a blemish on such a fine scope

PeterM
15-02-2012, 01:38 PM
So we can expect no more Tarantula or Bug nebulas from Peter Ward then:lol:
Actually I just went through a paper mite infestation in my observatory from old astro mags stored in an area that gets exposed and damp when the roof is open.
Bug Bomb fixed that - but cover everything 3 times first!
PeterM.

multiweb
15-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I hate those bloody spiders. No manners. ;) On the bright side it wasn't on the optics.

g__day
16-02-2012, 08:38 AM
I always think cover sheets are a good idea (for both PC gear and Scopes and mount) inside an astro dome. They only cost a a few dollars and take seconds to put on or off, yet they protect from any weird happening you don't foresee! Good insurance policy!

Peter Ward
16-02-2012, 09:25 AM
What can I say? YES! and then some :thumbsup:

brian nordstrom
19-02-2012, 09:31 AM
;) Yep the little buggers get into/onto every thing . I found a tiny spider with web under the dew cap cover on my Zeiss scope , dont ask me how it got in there but he was happily living there until descovered . Small spiders grow into BIG !!! spiders , if left unchecked.
Brian.