PDA

View Full Version here: : Old rockers never die - they just play bad gigs

h0ughy
12-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Saturday night (11 feb 2012) Rod Stewart played a show at Hope Estate vineyard in the hunter valley. We were looking forward to a great night - especially since we had a ball at his last concert at tempus two just up the road a few years earlier.

Well - we missed the storms, we parked a fair way away just to get there - i would estimate well over 17K people attending, and I will say that the support act - Diesel was excellent. The main act, although he did some great songs - he just lacked omfff. Dare i say it - he was really showing his age:help: though he did kick a few soccer balls out into the audience.

as you can see - we were a looonnggg long way away from the stage. shots were taken with a fuji HS10 on full zoom:P

Octane
12-02-2012, 01:28 AM
I hope that's not the case, mate.

I'm likely going to see Roger Waters perform The Wall (doesn't even rate a mention in my top 3 Pink Floyd albums, but, I recognise that he's getting on now, and, it will probably be the last chance I get to see him) on Valentine's Day in Sydney.

Front row/platinum seats.

My colleague sent me an email containing a picture from the show in Melbourne tonight, and, it looks insane.

H

ballaratdragons
12-02-2012, 01:35 AM
I know exactly what you mean David.
About 2 years back I took my son to a Jackson Browne gig up near Bendigo (long drive and 40 degree temp).
Although I was looking forward to finally seeing Jackson Browne (I have been a fan of his for 40 years), the support act was Richard Clapton (another favourite of mine) so it was like a double-banger concert.

But to everyone's disappointment, Clapton was terrible. He looked like he didn't want to be there, put no effort into his songs, and you could tell that the audience just wanted him to get off. Some songs he stopped singing about half way through and just let his band play the music all the way through.

Fortunately Jackson Browne was even better than I thought he would be.
But it seems that Clapton has given up.

It's a pity when they burn out, fade away, or just don't care any more.

David, I hope you still enjoyed your night out :thumbsup:

Omaroo
12-02-2012, 07:07 AM
It's a pity David, because you just hope with everything you have that your old idols won't disappoint you. I was there the night a few years back when Stevie Nicks was booed off stage at the Empty Container Centre. Biggest disappointment that year for me. Lethargic and wanted to be somewhere else. Pity she was also drunk. LOL

Woulda been nice to know this was on. Where the 'eck ave I been? :confused2: My favourite band... this will be the last time too. :(

Keltik
12-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Saw Rod with the Faces at Reading Festival 1973. Haven't uncovered a particular yearning to see him since. My last gig was the ever-awesome Steely Dan in Rod Laver Arena a few months back. I had very good seats opposite guitarist Jon Herington, possibly one of the most talented players doing the rounds. Great night.

taminga16
12-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Ken,
I have attended a couple of outdoor shows and must say that not all artists are suited to playing in paddocks or old swimming pools for that matter, we saw Van Morrison at the old Olympic pool in Melbourne in 1983 and when he walked on stage he noted that it was a crap venue, a feeling that he displayed for the evening.
Greg.
P.S. Saw Jackson Browne at the Regent and he was brilliant.

GeoffW1
12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes,

I guess they can get a use by date no matter what the talent. It seems to be unpredictable.

I went to see Neil Diamond in Sydney, and was so disappointed, probably a bit unfairly. He has lost so much range in his voice he was practically just talking the lyrics. He was still professional and a showman though.

Went to see Hall and Oates the other night, and they were just great. Daryl Hall is a year older than me, and that's OLD, but you would not pick it. Some of their songs there, like Kiss, were better than the studio version.

Then I recall Elton John a few years ago here sounding really old and sick, but it turned out that he was, on that occasion. I think some of them just wear out more quickly.

Cheers

h0ughy
12-02-2012, 10:32 AM
we saw elton at the same vanue in december last year and the concert was brilliant. There must have been a batterypack inthe piano seat to keep him going;) from memory it was a rainy cold night:question:

Octane
12-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Chris,

I knew he was coming to Australia, last year. But, when it was announced, the ticket pricing was obscene. Like, way obscene. I didn't give it any real credence or thought. Also, it's just Waters; not the rest of the band.

A lady at work has a platinum ticket for sale. I didn't think about buying it until my colleague sent me a picture from the show last night.

I'll see if I can buy it tomorrow morning, unless it's sold, already.

If I do get it, it's going to be a long day! Drive up, concert, drive down, and, then back to work the next day.

H

ballaratdragons
12-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Greg, this was not a 'low class' location.

It was at the high class Sutton Grange Winery. They hold concerts of the big names in the industry: Jackson Browne, Chris Isaak, Bozz Scaggs, Mick Fleetwood, etc.
Not exactly an old swimming pool or a dust bowl in a paddock full of pissed hippies and rough Rockers.

It was obvious that Richard Clapton just couldn't be bothered.
Maybe he just didn't like playing second fiddle to a bigger star than he is :shrug:

richardda1st
12-02-2012, 03:44 PM
We both loved the show, Roger Waters has never disappointed us.:thumbsup:

Keep in mind that this show is more theater than a straight out rock concert.

May I suggest that if you'r near the front center that you take a pair of good sun glasses, as there's a spot light beaming out at you through a hole in "THE WALL", approaching the end of the show.

It looked blinding from our seats on the side, but maybe not!:P

If I had the cash I would have gone again.:sadeyes:

AstralTraveller
12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Luckily I've never been disappointed by any of the 'oldies' I've seen. I'm hoping my luck holds.

I've got tickets to Penguin Cafe Orchestra in March and Yes in April. The leading light of PCO died quite some time ago so I don't know what to expect. I imagine that it will sound good enough because on stage the leader was just another of the ensemble. I want to see them because hearing their first album was a bit of a seminal moment that I can still remember 33 years later. 'Yes' of course, at their peak were simply the best band. Last time they were here, in 02 or 03, they were brilliant. However they recently sacked the singer and the keyboardist left in protest. So if I don't expect a completely authentic experience I should enjoy it enough.

Octane
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi Richard,

Glad to hear you had a great night!

Did you notice if anyone in the crowd was carrying DSLR/big lens combos?

If not, it might give me a reason to finally try the little IXUS point and shoot I won at the Malin's last year.

Cheers!

H

gregbradley
12-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Geewhiz. I saw Rod Stewart at Randwick Racecourse when I was about 18 (just a few years ago:lol:).

He kicked soccer balls then also.

He was quite good and had lots of energy. He's had a long career, that was early 70"s.

Greg.

h0ughy
12-02-2012, 07:03 PM
for elton john and Rod Stewart no DSLR's - hence my very quick purchase of the fuji HS10

h0ughy
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
some more of the old rocker

TheDecepticon
12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
That is a great shame, Houghy.:shrug: We saw him Tuesday just gone at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre and he was very good. It was all very slick and professional with plenty of oomph. :thumbsup:

Maybe the venue does not suit his performance, and it probably might have helped if you were a bit closer. We were lucky to be about 10m away from him and the stage.:)

Was a great night.:D

Oh and the female saxophonist was :evil: ;)

PeterM
12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Saw Roger Waters last Saturday night in Brissy with Greg Bock. The most amazing show and sound I have seen since Gilmour and Floyd in 1988. So good Greg Bock is flying himself and his son to Sydney this week to see the show again and let his son David witness this superb show.
Now just need Waters, Gilmour and Mason to do a PF farewell in the next few years and that will top off what cannot be staged better musically or technically.
Absolutely superb.
PeterM.

RB
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
So are you saying the evening didn't turn out as romantically as you were hoping it would?

:whistle:

h0ughy
12-02-2012, 08:38 PM
:rofl::rofl:well after the concert we waited a while----and waited---- and then drove through the bush to get on the road (bypassing the lineup only then ending up helping a car load of women who had a flat tyre - which i tried to change for them but then realised that their spare was different to the lug nuts they had (mags wheels - normal spare LOL). NRMA job at that point..... then didnt get home till very late.....:question::rofl:

RB
12-02-2012, 08:46 PM
:lol:

BTW the photos turned out well !
So no chance you could sneak in the 30D & 500mm ?

h0ughy
12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
:rofl: in a panic to try to sneak something in with decent optical zoom i hurridly rushed out and bought the fuji HS10 of at all places Joyce Mayne. i was using 30x zoom. a lifetime of happyness for the wife - priceless. my only justification for buying this thing:help: taking a canon with a big lens draws the local security very quickly

RB
12-02-2012, 09:00 PM
You must go to a lot of concerts if that's the justification for buying new gear.....:scared3:

h0ughy
12-02-2012, 09:06 PM
RB know that with a happy wife you have a happy life:P:D

ballaratdragons
12-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Geez David, how many times did he change clothes???

Go through the pics and look at the amount of wardrobe changes he made! :eyepop:

Waxing_Gibbous
13-02-2012, 12:44 AM
I had the same unpleasant experience with Ray Charles in Vancouver , 1986.
He showed up an hour late and performed (not particularly well) for only 45 minutes.
Apart from the 'Stones, who always seem to shine. I've pretty much given up on going to concerts by my old faves.
Better to remember them as they were than spend time and money to see some old dope fiend bash out a few hack numbers then stumble off-stage.

Jeffkop
13-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Have to agree 100% Pete .. was at that same show and it was worth every last cent. Went to see Carol King & James Taylor there a couple of years ago too ... AWESOME !!!

I know you hear stories all the time of dissapointments with aging entertainers and Im sure its not just because of pre conceived ideas ... They sound and look crap and dont deliver .. Or just that polished professional edge has blunted ... Its the same feeling as paying a 100 bucks for a 10 buck meal ... Ive been to a few concerts where that happened and it wasnt because the artist had gotten old either !!!

Too bad Dave .. go see Waters !!

Octane
13-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Rang the girl with the ticket, she's just rung her brother to give me a call.

Looks like I'm going. :D

Platinum ticket: section 1, row A, Acer Arena. :O

I've been told that people were walking in with DSLRs. I'll try my luck. Have glass/aperture, have ISO, will shoot.

H

venus
13-02-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm gobsmacked, didn't think you had it in you David. So smart...

taminga16
13-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Probably not as many times as Stevie Nicks:).

richardda1st
13-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Definitely didn't notice anyone in the crowd was carrying DSLR/big lens combos. But a fair few WITH SPOTS amongst the crowd were taking happy snap for a while, until Roger had them all shot.:eyepop:

I want to go again:sadeyes:

PeterM
13-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Me too! I am hearing this from so many people.
Big signs on each entry door at Brisbane Entertainment Centre "NO CAMERAS WITH REMOVABLE LENSES ALLOWED" so H just super glue yours in! A gazillion smart phones taking images and pics. Got some good short vids on my Iphone and it looks and sounds pretty good.
Peter

Octane
14-02-2012, 08:33 PM
At the Roger Waters concert in Sydney. Intermission about to finish.

Most amazing production I've ever seen. Up there with War of the Worlds from a few years ago

Been videoing with the DSLR and iPhone. Will YouTube.

H

Greg Bock
15-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi H, sorry I didn't see you there last night, we were a few rows behind you.
Yes, definitely the best live performance I have ever seen, and I saw both Brisbane and Sydney!!!! Lucky me, I'd go again if I had the chance.

I noticed at least 2 dslr's there, they must have smuggled them in. My iPhone did the trick though, lotsa great video.

TrevorW
15-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Leo Sayer still very good

AstralTraveller
08-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Well Penguin Cafe were good enough. The leader is actually the son of the original leader and while I doubt many of the original members are still there (they mostly looked suspiciously young) they were a very competent ensemble and the material is great. The sound re-enforcement was fine and the audience appreciative. But I was still left a bit flat. Perhaps it was partly the music but I'm sure I was letting the hassle of getting there get to me. I've never been big on Sydney but since I got back from camping on Monday I've felt that Wollongong is too busy and too crowded. Sydney was too much. Part of me would be happy if I never went back and the other part wonders if I can go back. And I've got tickets to another gig in a couple of weeks. :shrug: :question: