PDA

View Full Version here: : A Good Cable Wireless Modem

PCH
11-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Hi Guys,

for a friend of mine, can anyone recommend a good wireless modem suitable for use with a cable connection. The one she's currently using is Netgear (uncertain of model number), but finds that the wireless range is very poor, - to the point that just one room away she only gets one bar of signal strength on her devices.

Could be that this particular modem is faulty, and a new one of the same type would sort it out.

Any and all suggestions welcomed thank you :thumbsup:

snowyskiesau
11-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Is the cable modem wireless enabled or is it a separate wireless router? When I had a cable connection in Sydney (sorely missed by the way), the cable modem just had an Ethernet connection into which you could plug a router. I had a dedicated firewall device and my wireless router plugged into it. As long as the modem/router has an ethernet interface to connect to another wireless router, you should be OK as long as it's possible to disable wireless in the existing device.
I currently run a TP-Link wireless router and it's working well. I can get a reliable connection on my mobile phone up in the shed which is about 25 metres away. No problems with signal anywhere in the house.

EDIT: My wireless router is TL-MR3420 (http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/?categoryid=202) which is designed to take a 3G wireless dongle. It's not currently used that way and is just plugged into my ADSL modem.