PDA

View Full Version here: : SBIG STi Autoguider and Lens Kit

dcalleja
05-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi
I decided to try using my LX200R for imaging rather than the ED80. So I bought a Lepus FR (as I dont want to image at f10) but also wanted to reduce the weight on the mount. So I shelled out for the SBIG lens kit for the STi.

Some pics here showing it assembled with some closeups. The finish is solid and high quality (as I've found with all the SBIG kit). The weight difference if this thing works as advertised, will be enormous. The lens looks like something from a CCD security camera. Works very nicely with both focus and fstop settings.

I took a couple of test pics of my neighours house (my wife is pretty sure I will eventually be arrested as I test most things this way). Its through a closed window with no IR filter so the colour conversion is off. Im away for a month now but when I get a chance to use it I'll report back how it goes.

Dan

Terry B
05-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Interesting.
I'm still waiting for my STi that I ordered last year.

dcalleja
05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Terry
Thats a long wait - took 2 months to get mine. BTW - I just tried a quick image out the window (through the glass). The 2 Sec image attached is very encouraging

Dan

marki
06-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Yes mine took a while to get here as well, about 6 months. They say they have sped up production so hopefully you wont have to wait much longer. They work very well on an EQ mount with refractor, will be intersted to see how it goes with the fork.

Mark

Merlin66
06-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Do we know what Chip SBIG are using?
How does it compare with the Lodestar?

dcalleja
06-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Kodak KAI-340 CCD. Can't really say how they compare in performance.The lodestar also has a CCD not a CMOS but its the Sony Chip.

marki
06-02-2012, 09:02 PM
The chip is very small (640 x 480) but is a class 1 so has no column, cluster or dead pixel defects. Also has a mechanical shutter which gives it the edge when shooting darks for better guiding. Very clean chip even without any form of cooling. Not sure how it would compare with the lodester but I asm pretty stoked with mine.

Mark

Merlin66
06-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Just interested.
The Lodestar seems to be the popular choice over here in UK and Europe.
Don't see or hear much about the SBIG guider.....

Terry B
06-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I think that that is because SBIG has been tardy with production.

mymoon
30-04-2012, 12:51 AM
I have just received mine after a 6 month's wait.

Read the online manual and manage to get it running. Try to take picture of Saturn using the Planetary mode. Picture turn out very small even with a C8 and 2X Barlow. Use Canon 60D mod at movie crop mode equivalent to additional 7x barlow instead.

Tried to use with PHD. Set to Sbig camera but cannot connect.

Anybody knows how to use with PHD or with the supplied software.

Thanks

mymoon
09-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Found out the STi will work with PHD 1.13.5 and USB SBIG cameras.

Cheers

Aziz

dcalleja
10-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks - downloaded the new PHD and it works well.

Dan