PDA

View Full Version here: : Jump starter question

04Stefan07
02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I just found a jump starter 2 in 1 12v at big w for 40 bucks. On it it says.

12v starting aid
Work light 12v 3.6 watt
Battery condition monitor
External power supply to charge battery, etc.

Can this be used to power my celestron 130slt? If so what else would I need?

I'm at big w now and can't attach the pic on here cause there is no option too :(

Thanks

Allan_L
02-02-2012, 11:52 AM
YES.
Many of us use the old supercheap jump start packs to power scopes and dew heaters.
Anything less than 12 amp hours may run out of puff a bit early though.

I upgraded to a Waeco 36 amp battery for my CPC1100 and 4 dew heater controller and it pretty much lasted all night.
But many guys use the smaller starter packs successfully.
Difference $336 compared to about $50 for a super cheap 17 amp hour starter

But you must try not to fully discharge them and you must recharge them ASAP after using them or they will die a quick death.

04Stefan07
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
That is a pretty big price difference! How can I hook it upto the scope?

04Stefan07
02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I think I just found the model up from the 12v I mentioned. Comes with an ac and dc adapter. That's what I need yeh? 70 bucks and it's a bit better than the 40 one cause I dun think the 40 one has a plug for the telescope

Allan_L
02-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Most jump starters have a cigarette lighter style socket inbuilt.

You can buy a cable with a plug to go into such a socket.
different scopes take different size plugs so be careful.

If your scope is not 12 volts you will have to be careful that the cable has the correct voltage output so not to fry your electronics.

Bintel or Andrews should sell them specially for your scope.
I presume your scope has a power input. (my Celestron 4SE has one that is 12 volts)

Price difference is for quality.
Starters are high cranking and generally not deep cycle.
I had three die within 12 months.
the Waeco is true deep cycle and made for long continuous power drain (dew heaters are hungry).
and it is still going strong.

Shano592
02-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I use a Supercheap jumpstarter (the yellow one - fairly heavy duty) for running the Meade LX200. Added to this, I went back to Supercheap, and got one of their $60 car batteries - just a Standard Duty 7-cell (I think it is). It runs everything else - the dew zapper controller with 3 zappers, the laptop, the AC adaptor for the DSLR, a hairdryer if needed, and anything else I may have forgotten to mention. And it has handles!

Allan is dead right - dew heaters are very hungry!

Next day, I plug in the jumpstarter to the wall for the day, and recharge the battery on the trickle charger ... for 4 hours only!

The reason I got the battery, is because I ruined the inside of the jumpstarter a little while back, and needed a backup until it was fixed. Now I just bring and use them both, so if I fry the 'starter again, I can jump straight over.

You also need some ciggy lighter attachments to suit (one with croc clips, and a multi plug attachment), using the battery method. Costs about another $15-20, but gives you several ciggy plugs.

My yellow jumpstarter is now 6 years old, and on it's original battery. I have never run it near 0% charge, so it has never had to worry about a heavy recharge cycle.

04Stefan07
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Just had a look in my scope manual about the power requirements.

Input voltage: 12v dc nominal
Power supply req: 12 vdc-750mA (tip positive)