PDA

View Full Version here: : Dob fans for the lazy

Starkler
21-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I came across this today .

http://www.scopefans.com/

They sell speed controlled fans mounted on a baffle to fit the mirror cells of popular dob scopes. I say for the lazy because I made my own baffle from plywood ;)

iceman
22-03-2006, 05:36 AM
hmm US$64.95 for a 10" GSO version, with shipping ontop.. probably land at around AU$100.

Pricey, but I suppose it could be worth it in the long run. Though I'd prefer a refrigerator unit like bird's.

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 06:29 AM
and minutes to achieve stable images.........that is quicker than birds.....how do they cool that mirror so quickly!

or are they simple blowing the boundary away???

Starkler
22-03-2006, 08:15 AM
They make no mention of mechanical isolation of vibrations :shrug:

Mine sits on a ring of foam weather strip

Astroman
22-03-2006, 12:16 PM
A little expensive for something an average tinkerer could do in one evening. A computer fan, motor speed controller, a 12v lighter plug, some wire, the plate (any choice of material, aluminium, carboard, plywood etc...) A zippy box, wouldnt cost any more than $30-$40 I would say, if not less if you have access to suplus material. Great idea though, at least the website gives you ideas :D

ving
22-03-2006, 12:36 PM
did some one call me? :rolleyes:
$100au sounds ok to Mr non-tinkerer here ;)

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 02:44 PM
ving, by the 12 volt car fridge for $20, rip out the peltier cooling section, squangdmificate the interactive zirods and bobs your uncle, an easy refridgerated system cooling system!!!

actually, chatting with bird on this, the air should be dried to a certain degree, so a refridgerated version should help with dew as well on the primary in a heavy dew area

Pat Dotson
23-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the interest in ScopeFans.com! The idea is to give guys like ving an easy option. You could easily make a fan for less money in materials. If you value your time at all, I think you'll save money by going with a ScopeFan. I've already done the engineering and assembly work! :)

On my personal Newt, I've found that stable planetary images can be had after only 20 minutes of cooling with the fan installed. This is after taking the telescope from indoor temps of ~25C to outdoor temps of ~-10C. That's just not possible without a fan.

Regarding vibration isolation, my testing shows that there is no discernible vibration present with the fan speed lowered to its minimum setting.

Thanks,
Pat Dotson
www.ScopeFans.com (http://www.ScopeFans.com)

ving
23-03-2006, 09:34 AM
hey thanks pat, and welcome to the forum :)

yes, i am a lazy man, but one of limited cash resourses too, but i will keep scopefan in mind :)

netwolf
23-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Hmm maybe one of the aussie retailers can bring them in bulk and sell em a little cheaper. I have a few whisper computer fans that are very silent, but tinkering with the scope is not my cup of tea. I like the bolt on solutions.

Regards

Pat Dotson
25-03-2006, 07:24 AM
We are currently looking for dealers in Australia. Contact information is on the web site at:

www.scopefans.com

Thanks!