PDA

View Full Version here: : Lightbridge 12" It's Here!!!!

astronut
21-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Everone, My Baby arrived today!!:thumbsup: I'm about to put it together.
Thanks Mike & Don at Bintel. I went to pick it up, boy I hate city traffic.
Will post again soon:rofl: :rofl:

janoskiss
21-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Photos John, we want photos!!

ving
21-03-2006, 03:26 PM
whens the next oaks meet? i wanna see it!!!! :D
oh and pics in the mean time please! :)

spacezebra
21-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Mine too - Mine arrived at 9.26 am

:D

ving
21-03-2006, 03:53 PM
whos gunna write the first review? ;)

vespine
21-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, to the person who was complaining about telescope prices in Australia, a US$1100 scope for AU$1500 !??! That is OUTSTANDING! According to today's exchange rate that's even cheaper then straight currency conversion! haha!
Anyway, unfortunately this really creeps out of my price range at the moment, especially since it only comes with the one EP, it's still looking like the solid tube 12" is ahead for me, especially since i'm starting to like the idea of DSCs...

astronut
21-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Well Guys, I savered every minute of putting it together with my 10year old son.
It was prechecked by Bintel and fully assembled there wasn't any damage and everything works. Don mentioned that another reason ( apart from the packing problems ) that the scopes were held up was that the OZ scopes have the first update, that is an altitude brake, so that means I don't have to worry about counterweights, Yeh!!.
The azimuth bearings are great and with the adjustable tension makes it even better.Well I have to wait another week for my collimator to arrive, byt in the meantime a friend will collimate it for me tomorrow. Here's hoping for clear skies.
The build quality of the scope is first class. Now one final test, FIRST LIGHT!!!!!:eyepop: :eyepop:

Rodstar
21-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Congrats to both of you! Looking forward to seeing the Lightbridges at SPSP14. Hopefully, with delivery this week, the skies will have cleared by 30 March!

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Hi all

First light at 9.45pm 21.3.2006. Excellent - had several helping hands with the collimation - but we got there in the end. The neighbours kindly turned of all their lights and viewing was great - considering Im in town and have the lights of Albury to contend with.

My scope was missing "a nut" (would you believe it) but went together smoothly and quickly. Optics are crisp and clear, was totally blown away from the experience.

More later - a bit tired - too much excitement for one day.

But I looooove my scope.:D:D:D

Cheers
Petra

iceman
22-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Photos!

Can't wait to see it next week.

astronut
22-03-2006, 06:30 AM
Which nut is missing?

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 07:16 AM
Hi Astro

The base nut. Refer Step 3 and 4 diagram.

Cheers Petra

ving
22-03-2006, 12:04 PM
posibly the "astro-nut"? ;)

:P

we have 2 people with this scope now and still no pics!!!! :P

Astroman
22-03-2006, 12:18 PM
PICS, PICS, PICS..........

Close ups too if posssible especially the Alt bearing :D

h0ughy
22-03-2006, 12:20 PM
they tease us don't they. no delivery carton, no putting scope together, no proud owner shot with bag of parts leftover:lol: ;)

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Pics coming :whistle:

Cheers Petra

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 12:41 PM

Hi there

A few test pics

iceman
22-03-2006, 12:45 PM
WOW! That looks awesome!

h0ughy
22-03-2006, 12:54 PM
go on Mike , you know you want one;)

Nice pictures

iceman
22-03-2006, 12:57 PM
I would if it was 16"

10 to 12" just isn't enough increase for me.

xstream
22-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey, Petra it looks magic!
I think I better come and check it out on the weekend.
I don't think I can wait till Wiruna.

ving
22-03-2006, 01:03 PM
:jawdrop:
thats a beautiful scope!!!! :D

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi there more pics - hey I will even take requests, scope with scenic view - scope with pets, scope with plants.

Got too excited putting it together and forgot to take many during the construction phase, but will post a few soon

Cheers Petra

vespine
22-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Dang that's a HOT looking scope!

I'm still thinking of getting the solid tube GSO, I drive a station wagon so portability isn't THAT much of an issue and the extra $400 (plus a couple of EPs) is a limiting factor at the moment. Plus, this scope looks a LOT more "finished" ;) I actually kinda like the idea that I'll be able to mod the GSO considerably..

How sterdy are those struts? Can you pick up the OTA by them without anything "flexing" or shifting?

Also does it look like DSCs may be slightly more difficult to attach to those bearings then to the screws on the GSO?

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi Vespine

The struts are very sturdy - I was able to pick up - take outside and reposition on base with ease, colimation which took sometime, was retained - images were very, very clear considering it was my back garden.

Yes, I agree about the finished look - but I have seen a lot of mods on line which have been done by guys in the US.

DSC's? excuse my novice like question:shrug:

Cheers Petra

vespine
22-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Hehe, yeah my comment about the "finished" look wasn't meant as a criticism ;) Actually, I just said it to try to make myself feel better for not being able to afford it ;)
Except, I probably could if I settled for the 10" instead of the 12"... Still undecided.. This would be my 1st scope purchase, so I'm sure I would still be happy with the 10", but since portability isn't really an issue for me that leaves "looks" as the ain motivator, since everyone says aperture, aperture and aperture should be the primary consideration, I'd be crazy to change my mind based on looks ;)
DSCs are digital setting circles, I'm a newb too ;) I've only just started learning about these things but already seems like something worth upgrading too after a while. They look dead easy to install on the GSO, the bearings on the LB don't have centre screws which may or may not make installation harder, I'm sure the agro navis people will work out a good solution anyway...

astronut
22-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Sorry guys I don't have a digital camera. I'm sure Petra and her scope are more pleasing to the eye than I am.:rofl: :rofl:
I will borrow a camera and post some piccies soon.
Don Whiteman has told me that an Argo Navis is on the drawing board, out later this year.
Petra I just had a very experienced astronomer collimate the scope ( my collimator will arrive next week ) and look at the collimating springs and like some of the U.S. reviewers, he suggests putting in stiffer springs.
This will make the turning of the knobs a little stiffer, but will allow for better collimation.
Ving, I have a few mods I'm carrying out on the scope so it may not venture away from home for a couple of weeks.

ving
22-03-2006, 01:49 PM
gah! say it isnt so! :(
oh well, i can wait :)

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi again

Not taken as such lol:lol:. I have been saving for over a year for "a" scope and watched with interest the IIS forums & read mountains of info for any and all advice on which type of scope I would buy - so I was really careful about the final decision.

Portability was my prime concern, aperature came second.

DSC's okay now I know - I have seen setting circles attached to the LB but not digital? I have joined the LB forum on yahoo and found this another very useful resource which discusses setting circles - modifications etc. So if you get a chance have a look.

Cheers Petra

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi John

I also brought in the big guns when it came to collimation. I had a go on my own but still too inexperienced.

Did yours come with the base nut?

Cheers Petra

astronut
22-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Petra,Yes It did, no missing parts. Now that the altitude brake has been installed, you will find that the eyepiece holder can't be put where the predrilled holes have been made. The knob for the brake will foul the eyepieces.
You will need to repostion the holes further down just above the Lightbridge sign. Oh well it's always fun when tinkering:lol: ;)

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Great stuff, guys, thanks for the feeback,

I do believe that the az bearing being chipboard will be simple to attach the motors either stepper or servo cat and that a decent alt bearing can be attached easier to this design than the std gso dob!!

Mike, if the 16" is like this, then I can't see it being any harder to install a dob driver etc on a normal gs dob.

Very very promising!

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 03:07 PM
is the alt bearing (up/down) made of aluminium???? ie is it really light.

If it is then a dob driver / mel bartels system will suit to a tee if using a stainless steel knurl to cut a track into the softer aluminium.

How big is that lip on this bearing?

astronut
22-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Dave, Yes made of aluminium. The lip is about 12mm high:thumbsup:

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 03:55 PM
thanks,

would this lip be very wide, ie if i have a stainless steel knurled wheel of 10mm wide, would the lip be 10mm wide.

Otherwise I would have to get at the non lip section to drive this with a motor. I could always cut away a section of the lip.

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 04:11 PM
John

I cannot wait to see your mods. Also let me how you resolved the transport issue.

When I read page 5 of the Assembly, and I quote.. " On the adjustment knob bolt, place two washers on either side of the roller bearing washer."

I found this a little confusing - considering I had only two plain washers and one roller bearing washer. Regardless - placing only one washer on either side - still gave me very little thread to place "a nut" if I had one on the base.

How did you get around this?

Cheers Petra

spacezebra
22-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi again John

Many thanks for the advice. I was also given the advice - re my EPs, not to put them there anyway and keep them in a foam case/toolbox.

Might keep other do dads in there instead small torch. Might attach a cup holder:lol:

Thanks John

davidpretorius
22-03-2006, 04:35 PM
and your toothbrush!!!:rofl:

Starkler
22-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Looks great! Better than the pics in the ads even ;)

I had to chuckle to myself that you took a photo of the delivery man unloading the new scope, now thats excitement :lol:

First mod has to be painting black the inside of the end rings of the upper tube. I bet they are visible from the focuser.

Agh you want to mangle the smooth aluminium bearing surface?? :scared:

astronut
22-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi Geoff, I was going to cover the internal white bits with black felt. I've now decided to paint the inner part of the white rings flat black, this will be done tomorrow. The trusses look great in silver/grey but are impractical for the light path. These will be covered in black felt.
I'm also placing a 12v battery on the base and running wiring through a switch box and up through the truss tubes, so that I can have a eyepiece heater and possibly heaters for a future optical finder. Whew I think that will do for now!! I will post pictures when I can.

Starkler
22-03-2006, 10:38 PM
The truss tubes shouldnt be in the light path :shrug:
If theyre not visible from looking into the focuser reflected in the mirrors then the colour of the tubes shouldnt have an effect.

Some people slip foam padding onto their tubes which I think is as much for thermal insulation as anything else. Felt will probably absorb dew and get wet.

[1ponders]
22-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Man that is one swish lookin' scope. I'm so looking forward to a full on review you guys.

Wonder if I can claim a 16" LB on my tax this year :confuse3: :evil:

vespine
23-03-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm so tempted to get one of these, anyone want to buy a kidney?

If I cave and get one, I'm thinking I'd be respraying the whole thing stealth black! ;)

spacezebra
23-03-2006, 06:13 PM
;) I like the idea of respraying it - cool. Im afraid that my review may not be very technical in nature - Astronut is no doubt the man there - but I will post one nonetheless.

Astronut - when you have a moment - can you check out my earlier posts - I have a few questions for you.

Cheers Petra

astronut
23-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi Petra,:) My new scope sits in pieces in the lounge room. I took off the end rings and painted them all black. This is a personal choice.
If you don't paint the top three, that's ok but the bottom ring that holds the mirror assembly definately needs to be flat black. So I'm glad the Sydney weather is awful, I can get all the mods done.
One other change is going to be the collimation springs, they are a bit on the soft side. When you tighten the locking screws it moves the mirror so throwing out the collimation.
I'm going to do away with them, by using the stiffer springs:thumbsup:
How can I help!!

spacezebra
23-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi Astronut

I must admit that in this earlier stage of owning my first scope I am reluctant to replace anything yet - so I would welcome any pics of your modifications.

When my scope was collimated - we found that the locking screws and the adjustment screws are identified backthe front on the manual.

Second, if you read the instructions about the washers - one gets the impression that there are supposed to be "two washers" either side of the bearing washer (which I find a bit strange). The fact that the scope only came with two is a give away - but only using one either side still does not give enough thread underneath to place the nut (if I had one).

I can cope without the nut on the base - but had to get thinner washers - which is not a drama

Have a read - and let me know what you think. .

Cheers Petra

Roger Davis
24-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Here's my Agro Navis!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :P

gary
24-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Roger,

LOL!

Figure Agro's fur is actually made of the Golden Fleece?

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
Home of the Argo Navis DTC
20 Kilmory Place
Mount Kuring-Gai NSW 2080
Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

P.S.

See you at Ilford. Look forward to seeing the wig selection.

Mr Bob
24-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Niice

chrissara
24-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Gazza,

Is the estimated time for the Argo kit for the Lightbridge still around 6-8 weeks at all?

NB Thanks for the email. It would be great to get a Lightbridge mounted on an Argo system

spacezebra
24-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi Garry

Yes, I would be interesed too.

Cheers Petra

gary
25-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi Chris & Petra,

Firstly, congratulations to Petra on her new LightBridge™.
We look forward to your observing reports.

An encoder installation kit is currently under development for all models
of the LightBridge™ (8", 10", 12", Standard & Deluxe).
See http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/kits/pn-lightbridge-spec_describe.html

Though a release date has not been set, we certainly hope to bring it to market
within this first half of 2006.

The kit will come with a pair of optical encoders, the necessary hardware
to install the encoders onto a LightBridge™ and an encoder cable.
The kit will be designed to be easy to install and no special tools or skills
will be required.

The optical encoders provided will be high resolution, with at least
10,000 steps effective provided on each axis.

Once combined with an Argo Navis Digital Telescope Computer™ (DTC),
this will assist the user in locating, identifying and touring objects with ease.
The Argo Navis™ unit has many more features than conventional Digital
Setting Circle (DSC) devices. For example, older DSC's assume the
axes of the scope are perfectly orthogonal.

Argo Navis™ comes with the in-built powerful Telescope Pointing Analysis System™
(TPAS™) that can help analyse and compensate for a variety of systematic
geometric and flexure errors within the mount to provide enhanced pointing performance.

The Argo Navis™ unit is available separately now.

We will be making an announcement on our own web site, on the
Argo Navis User's Group, on IceInSpace and several other forums when
availability of the LightBridge™ encoder hardware kit is announced.

Wildcard Innovations are a sponsor of the 2006 South Pacific Star Party (SPSP).
As usual, we will have a vendor stand, so interested enthusiasts should feel
free to come and introduce themselves and have a chat with myself or Mai.
There will be also ample opportunity to see Argo Navis™ in operation
on a variety of telescopes there at night, including the club's own 17" Dob.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
wildcard@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Other links -
Argo Navis User's Group (Membership required. Open to all. Feel free to join)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/argo_navis_dtc/

spacezebra
25-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Thankyou Gary for the speedy reply

I look forward to the availability of the LightBridge™ encoder hardware kit.

Also looking forward to chatting to you at the SPSP.

Cheers Petra