PDA

View Full Version here: : CBETs for nothing!

PeterM
31-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Seems as of today you can now view CBETs - that is Circulars from the International Astronomical Union (IAU) without a subscription. These generally detail new discoveries (Comets, Nova, Supernova, Variables etc) by amateurs and professionals and give data on the scientific follow up etc.

As amateurs we will find this is a very valuable resource now made available and the IAU should be congratulated.

Bookmark the site below, then simply click on any of the CBET.

Of course you can click on CBET3007 for details of my latest SN discovery SN2012U

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/cbet/RecentCBETs.html

Peter

astroron
31-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for that Peter:thanx:
Cheers :thumbsup:

Rob_K
31-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Fantastic Peter, hope it's not just an error! :D Only CBETs from 27 Jan open - no IAUCs yet, have to wait for some new ones I suppose. This is a good move by the IAU if it's the new system, should have been done when we first hit the digital age and postmen no longer had to trudge through the snow to deliver bits of paper.

I always felt that they had no right to charge for information when it wasn't generated by them in the first place. They are only a clearing house, the info belongs to the world. :thumbsup:

Cheers -

astroron
31-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Ditto Robs comments:shrug:
Cheers :thumbsup:

PeterM
31-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Totally agree with you there Rob.
When I responded to Dan Green at CBAT this morning I thanked them for making CBETs available, and so far they are still available so maybe the times have changed for the better.
Peter

PeterM
24-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Well so far so good, you can still view the CBETs without a subscription. Well worth bookmarking not only to see the recent SN discoveries but also the recent Comet discoveries and relevant data. A big win for amateur astronomy.
PeterM.

Rob_K
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately the IAUCs remain subscription only, new IAUC 9250 not accessible. Great having the CBETs though! :thumbsup:

Cheers -