PDA

View Full Version here: : How much gear do you take on holiday ?

skysurfer
30-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Next Thursday I go to Bali again and will bring my travel telescope.

- Televue Genesis + Vixen SP mount + RA tracking motor with 1 1/4" Amici prism as the original 2" diagonal is too heavy.
- 2 eyepieces
- 15x70 binos
- Canon eos 40 + Tamron 10-20, Tamron 18-250, Canon 85 1.8 (latter for astrophotos)
- T ring tube for prime focus images thru Genesis
- Galaxy S2 + Skysafari with red sleeve as star atlas

When you go on holiday (particularly by air) how much do you take with you ?

jjjnettie
30-01-2012, 04:03 AM
My last trip OS was to Fiji.
I took my little iOptron Cube mount, the 20d and a dovetail bar to mount it, the timer remote and the laptop. I only imaged wide field through the 50mm f1.8 and the Sigma 70-300.
The Cube fitted nicely into my small suitcase with my clothes acting as padding.
I got some raised eyebrows going through customs. :)

skysurfer
30-01-2012, 05:08 AM
Nice. I went to Fiji too but that was in 1990 and 1994 (and brought also my scope but a lighter one as I bought my Genesis in 1995).
Many times I got raised eyebrows as well during security check. One time I had to open the telescope tube to be sure there was no bomb in it :P
I forgot to mention my laptop which I also take to Bali.

OS ? I thought only computers, tablets and smartphones have an OS .....

Jules76
30-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Last year when I flew down to Adelaide to visit my parents, I took everything in my signature and transported in one of these:

http://www.siriustech.com/siriustech_DFB14258i.htm

Although the tripod legs had to go in another bag.

I was concerned because it actually went slightly over the luggage limit (dimensions not weight), so it was up to the airline if they wished to carry it or and charge me extra. But it went on without a hitch on Virgin so I was very happy with that. :thumbsup: Lady at the counter actually thought it was for a pram! :lol: