PDA

View Full Version here: : Question on telescopes

chrissara
21-03-2006, 11:42 AM
This is probably a silly question, but are there any review sites that compare telescopes but also give pictures as examples.

For example I might be looking at buying a Meade ETX125 or a Meade LX200 8", but I can't decide which one.

Are there any sites that say give photos of what images it produces i.e. what the eye would see.

Alternatively, are there any sites that give you a general idea of what image would appear if you looked through say a 8" SC as opposed to say a 8" DOB?

Reason I ask is that it is very hard for regional buyers to try and track down a telescope that they may want. Speaking to a sales rep over the telephone is all fine and good but when it is all said and done, they are trying to sell something and they may wish to move floor stock (perhaps an unfair criticism but you see where I am coming from).

You might say go to a local astronomy meeting - good point, but where I live they only occur once a month and I understand the number and types of scopes is limited i.e. around 3-7 at any time.

Striker
21-03-2006, 12:15 PM
The scopes recommended for Astrophotography are going to be very different to that for visual observing.

I suppose if you can tell us exactly what your needs are such as:
1) portability
2) Visual or Astrophotography or both
3) Budget
4) interested in Planets or DSO's

Thats a start.

Cant answer the question about sites...I'd prefer to get opinions and recomendation from experienced user's localy then sites with images taken by someone overseas with a billion dollar camera....lol

ving
21-03-2006, 12:40 PM
i dont know one that has pics and review... you could try cloudy nights and astromart, they both have reviews.

but like tony stated, tell us what you want to do and we could very well recomend something to suit your needs. with hundreds of members we have a heap of knowledge here :)
we might even be able to dig up pics for ya ;)

Miaplacidus
21-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Two good telescope review sites are Ed Ting's (http://www.scopereviews.com/) and Todd Gross' (http://www.weatherman.com/). Naturally a bit dated, but much of it still relevant. I don't know of anywhere that gives sample images comparing a large range of scopes. (Perhaps someone here could start one.)

Good luck,

Brian.

Miaplacidus
21-03-2006, 01:27 PM
As for comparing the field of an 8 inch SCT vs an 8 inch dob, there's a few software packages that can give you at least some idea of that (e.g. Starry Night Pro).

chrissara
21-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Okay the replies.

Criteria are (in prioirity) - portability, best magnification (i.e. WOW!! factor), GOTO e.g. Austostar etc and ease of use.

Price range under $5000

Was looking maybe at a Meade LX etc or maybe the new Meade portable DOBS set up on a GOTO type mount.

Mainly used for viewing. Astrophotography may, just may be in the future although not seriously.

ving
21-03-2006, 02:17 PM
oh and to compare FOVs try www.scopesim.com :)

Miaplacidus
21-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Does it have to be GOTO, or would PUSH-TO (ie with Sky Commander or Argo Navis) be good enough?

Miaplacidus
21-03-2006, 02:44 PM
OK, OK, I like my dob, but I'm very impressed by a friend's 8 inch LX 90. It seems to be the right weight for one (fairly slightly built) person, is very easy to set up (LNT), and has sufficient aperture for WOW. If he didn't have one, I probably would have bought one. In terms of WOW-to-SIGH ratio, it seems almost up there with a 10 inch dob, plus you've got the (very accurate) GOTO and the automatic tracking. It also takes binoviewers very well, and is reasonably amenable to a dabbler's astrophotography. The LX90 is a good scope for someone who wants to have only one scope for mainly visual use. The limitation of course is the relatively narrow FOV and the high mag (in which case it complements a short tube semi-apo refractor very nicely).

OTOH, I like bright, extended DSOs myself, and might incline more to a slightly wider apertured dob with Argo Navis.

Ask 100 people, get 100 different answers...

Merlin66
21-03-2006, 03:16 PM
For that cost I thinks there's a 10" SC in the buy / sell which would be great!!!

[1ponders]
21-03-2006, 04:28 PM
For that price I'd go for a 12" or if they bring out the new 16" truss dob and Argo Navis if astrophotog is only a possible maybe. Now there is some WOW factor.

janoskiss
21-03-2006, 04:53 PM
10-12" truss Dob, ArgoNavis, premo binoviewing outfit and eyepieces. That should take care of your $5000. :)

Yes, there are but I can't remember where, sorry.

[1ponders]
21-03-2006, 05:37 PM
TV, Pentax, Vixen etc. If you're going to spend that much get the good stuff :lol: Hmmm might as well make it $10000 your going to spend, as eyepieces are half the system. :)

Miaplacidus
21-03-2006, 06:29 PM
On the question of regions... My friend's LX90 is presently useless because he has had to send back the Autostar because of some malfunction. That's two weeks or more already (and he's in Hobart). Also, if you're rural, aren't you more likely to get the most out of large aperture...?

chrissara
21-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I have a ETX125 that is only 2 weeks old and the controller is already buggered (well the LCD is) - it still works in controlling, but the second row of the LCD isn't on.

These Truss-DOBS - can I get a good GOTO type mount for them? And are the mounts portable?

[1ponders]
22-03-2006, 12:24 AM
No need for an equatorial mount for them. Just get an Argo Navis and encoders and your set. Nice and quiet too. No whir click buzzzzz.

Truss dobs will fit in a much smaller car than a similar sized solid tube dob (12" and up anyway). If you are only using it at home and it's relatively smooth ground to where you view from, put some wheels on the baby. :thumbsup:

Astro_south has a 12.5 inch truss dob. Have a look at it here (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=493&d=1106815739) or mhodsons 12.5" on an EQ6 here (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1727&d=1114731530)

And here's a size comparison of Astro_south's 12.5 and his car here (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4171&d=1125829478). Check this out as well for another comparison (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2746&d=1120391301) . Apart from the struts it all fits into the base box and slides into the back of the care :thumbsup:

nightsky
22-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Sorry to hear that :( I am thinking of buying the Meade EXT 125 AT
now you got me thinking,can you tell me who you bought it from?