PDA

View Full Version here: : Best way to ship a dob interstate?

mbaddah
26-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I have been receiving a lot of enquiries for my dob that I am selling (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=80611) from all over the country. I would like to know what is the best way to pack and ship the scope as I do not have the original boxes with me anymore? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

astro_nutt
26-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Visit your local Bunnings and pick up a few sturdy boxes, some bubble wrap and good quality packing tape. Dismantle the base and place some newspaper in between the pieces. Tape the lot together. Wrap it in 2 layers of bubble wrap and tape together then place it in box one. Wrap the tube in 2 layers of bubble wrap. Scrunch newspaper into balls and line the bottom of box two. Place the tube in the box and continue to stuff scrunched newspaper around the tube. Any accesories should be in bubble wrap and placed inside the box two with the tube. Use as much tape as you can to seal both boxes. Clearly mark each box "fragile, glass with care" and number them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.
Good luck!

ballaratdragons
26-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Just to add another tip:

NEVER PUT 'FRAGILE' ON ANYTHING!

That warning even comes from Australia Post themself.
And some Courier companies warn against it.

If you read a sign next to a hole in a wall that says 'DO NOT LOOK IN HERE', what does everyone do?

Aust Post staff are renown for 'testing' just how 'FRAGILE' an item is :sadeyes:

JPete
26-01-2012, 10:02 PM
AusPOst wont take a package that big, courier is only hope and insist on insurance.

www.e-go.com.au are thre cheapest by far, but claiming the insurance will be a nightmare cos they have no people you can talk to...online only.

funktapus
31-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Try some of the ebay furniture couriers. Interstate is usually around $150 and you dont have to pack it. They'll come and wrap it in felt and store it in the truck right in front of you so you know that its left in good condition. I've used many with ebay purchases of furniture.

BlackWidow
31-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I often send large items all over Aust. I have also purchased two lx200gps scopes and used Greyhound freight. They are carefull and can arrange door to door or depot service. I have also found the to be great on price. I even used them th send a large malibu surfboard... It was huge..

Give them a call. They are very helpfull

Regard
mardy