PDA

View Full Version here: : Cosmic Rays & CME's: the bad and surprisingly, the good!

Suzy
24-01-2012, 12:14 PM
This very interesting article was originally posted today by Camilla Sdo (Solar Dynamic Observatory) & re-posted by Michelle Thaller (facebook friends of mine), on solar storms and its effects on astronauts.

Apparently there is an upside too- CME's can actually be a good thing if you're in space at the time...
Quote from Michelle ...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=351097911567475&set=a.108610785816190.15284.1000000 18067046&type=1&theater

steve000
24-01-2012, 01:58 PM
They almost canned the Apollo missions cause of these flashes.

Erg
24-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Phosphenes.

To echo Steves comment...Initially wasnt this one of those things that Astronauts used to keep to themselves for fear of getting cut from the rotation before it became more widley known?

A similar thing to the first sightings of Elves, Sprites and other high altitude phenomena by test pilots.

"Dont tell and we get to keep flying"??

Id love to hear more about this from people in the know.

Erg

astroron
24-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Great Post Suzy,:)
A friend who used to be a professional Astronomer and worked at the Space telescope Science Institute told me about the Cosmic Rays problems for the Astronauts and also the Telescope many years ago
Maybe in the future besides planning the trips to the planets and beyond at Solar maximum, they may be able to build a Magnetic Field as a shield for the space craft ?
Don't ask me how as I wouldn't have a clue:shrug:
I think space craft of the future will be very large and so being could have the energy source required to make this happen:)
Cheers :thumbsup: