PDA

View Full Version here: : Ultimate IISAC11 timelapse compilation now with VIMEO

Bassnut
21-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi Guys

Here (http://fredsastro.smugmug.com/Timelapse/Timelapse-video/16566156_JZtdwb#!i=1680043938&k=V7Xrrjm) is a compilation of all the sequences I took at IIASC11, a smoother,more pleasing experience that the short bits Ive posted before.

Its all at 30fps, some 3000 images, I think the smoothness is worth it.

After many months of painfull development, its taken over my life until now :P, My Timelapse contoller now has full auto DSLR AP/ISO control in bulb mode (not used in the video). From searching forums and the web generally (and some offers to buy the design, now,any price :lol:), it seems im the 1st to include fully automatic AP/ISO and exposure time control on a timelapse contoller (in bulb mode), so it can automatically capture a timelapse sequence from full day to night. From 100ms exposures at 50iso f22 to 10secs f1.4 iso3200.

Its been a challenge, and its yet to be really feild proven with a killer timelapse worth posting (the test videos are fatally boring), but Im relieved its finished (barring bugs). Ill post a proper full sunset/sunrise video to prove it as soon as I have one :thumbsup:.

jjjnettie
21-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Fred, you are amazing!!
Fantastic video and an incredible invention!!

multiweb
21-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Very cool Fred. I liked it a lot. :thumbsup:

Forgey
21-01-2012, 09:10 PM
1 word - WOW, I love it!

Octane
21-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Look out, Tom of Timescapes.

That's fabulous, Fred.

Look forward to heading out somewhere nice and put it through its paces.

I'll get a 24mm f/1.4L.

H

Omaroo
21-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Wow Fred - brilliant reconstruction. Without that 24mm lens there was little point hanging off the other side of your machine those few evenings. Great fun nonetheless. Can't wait to see the last few mods.

sheeny
22-01-2012, 07:32 AM
When's the Vimeo version up Fred? (I still get that nasty pixelation from smugmug).

Al.

Ric
22-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Excellent timelapse Fred.

That meteorite that flew accross to the horizon was a ripper.

Bassnut
22-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Tanks for the comments Guys, much appreciated. Yes the 24mm 1.4fL is the ducks guts for time lapse IMO .ill put up a Vimeo version soon.

Peter Ward
22-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Very Very cool. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Doomsayer
22-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Nice work Fred. Makes me a bit teary eyed post IISAC. The control box would be quite at home on Dr Who.
guy

Shark Bait
22-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Thankyou for sharing this Fred. Simply stunning. I imagine that if this video could be shown to school kids before they started to learn about our solar system and astronomy they would be more engaged.

bartman
22-01-2012, 06:23 PM
That is bloody awesome Fred!
Very smooth and inspiring!

I'm interested ( yep like the rest) in the auto AP/ISO etc aspect of the timelapse controller......
Is it controlled by that x ( the name eludes me at the moment ...for some reason I have animoog stuck in my head and cant think of anything else heheheh........ ah andrino there ya go:lol:) chip.
Are you making them/ selling/ providing circuit diagrams?
Would love to know!
Thanks
Bartman

iceman
22-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Ditto . I need a vimeo version too.

Bassnut
22-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Again, thanks guys, but I certainly hope to do much better with the latest additions .

Bassnut
22-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I've started the Vimeo upload, and it tells me it will take 10hrs, sorry. Well it's free, what can you expect :P.

Smugmug took just a few minuites.

bartman
22-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Just FYI, I had no probs with the link provided( smugmug..... I had no pixelations????).
So I am curious as to why others are having problems.....
Another curious question would be ....why is Vimeo better?
Bartman
cheers

Bassnut
22-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Well, it's bit out of left field"........, no very odd :D.

I'm reluctant to show pics of that part of the design, or describe it exactly, but suffice to say I'm using tiny servo motors to turn dials and push buttons on the camera :lol:

I'd like it to be unique for a while at least untill I can also make some unique time lapses with it. It seems USB control is an absolute nightmare, which is why no one has done it in a time lapse controller ,although some amatures have done USB control, sort of, but not with a time lapse controller".........yet. Ittle come, soon. I have a very short window of uniqueness :P.

It's not suitable as a commercial product, it would cost far too much for a "hobby" market.

And no, it doesn't use an Andrino, Picaxe actually, lots of them .

Bassnut
22-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Opps, thats weird, Vimeo says still 10 hrs to go, but its done :shrug: :thumbsup:.

HERE (http://vimeo.com/35452095)

strongmanmike
22-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Simple but quite nice and I like the music, not too wierd :thumbsup:

Great project Fred, kept you busy huh?

Mike

bartman
22-01-2012, 11:14 PM
No worries....
You are and should be unique!!!!
I respect that...
I run Nikon anyway so it would ( possibly) not work anyway....:lol:
Please PM me if you do go..........un-unique.....:thumbsup:
Once again , great job and keep it up :D
Cheers
Bartman

blindman
22-01-2012, 11:19 PM
WOW,
I am impressed ! BEAUTIFUL

colinmlegg
23-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Hey Fred,

Just noticed this. I still find it a little weird to see the same discussion happening at opposite ends of the Earth. Seeing you on this forum and the Phil Hart reference you made on Timescapes now adds up. :) I'm new here myself...actually someone just sent me this link saying I might be interested (small world x 2)

If you don't mind, I'd like to follow on from my question on timescapes re. Aperture flicker. Your answer that it improved by adding flash port monitoring has me puzzled and intrigued. Firstly, I should say I have a bit of experience with this 'holy grail' problem, in the form of a PC based controller a couple of guys helped me put together last September. I used it on a multiday, multicamera shoot http://www.thewhippersnapper.com/EOMultiCam/EOMultiCam/Home.html. The reason I'm puzzled is that I always thought flash port monitoring only dealt with the shutter and determining when its curtain opens and closes. I don't see how it can help with the physical aperture variation problem. So intrigued to know more.

As I said on the other forum, you've done a great job with this and yes I believe you are the first to do the whole shebang in a standalone non PC based controller. Well done!

Colin

sheeny
23-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Gorgeous Fred! Thanks for sticking it on Vineo!

Al.

iceman
23-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Ditto! :)
I love the last bits with people standing up talking around the tripod/camera, and also the winding trek to the top of the mountain :)

Bassnut
23-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Colin

Like your controller, looks serious :P

No,no, I may have misled you. I nent the flash feedback drastically reduced flicker, but as you say, that doesnt affect the apature variation problem, only shutter timing. Im thinking now of a ND filter at the bright end to allow wider apature, and even possibly automating (motorising) that. So, I cant say the project is completely finished yet I guess (it probably never will be).

colinmlegg
23-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Fred. I'm with you on the 'never completely finished' front...been chasing the tale of the holy grail for a couple of years now.

Also have some things on the burner to get those last few stops. Another guy on timescapes is building me an aperture ramper that fits on the lever of the novaflex adaptor that allows for mounting Nikon lenses on Canon cameras. Early indications are that it achieves pretty smooth results, although the aperture opening appears non linear so would need micro stepping to accurately follow the curve. Also looking at an automated ND filter changer. That maybe a harder nut to crack as I'm using the Nikon 14-24 lens which has that monster front element and the only filters big enough to fit are Lee 150mm...big and expensive.

All fun and games. One day we'll have a camera that smoothly covers those 20-22 stops, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Daveman1
25-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Awesome video Fred! I loved the bit where the clouds were gliding beneath what I think is the SMC!

Dave