PDA

View Full Version here: : Wide, fast and super high resolution

strongmanmike
21-01-2012, 12:09 AM
You can have it all in one scope :thumbsup:

I have had some time now to thoroughly evaluate and test the new Orion Optics AG12 I received back in March 2011 and I have to say that I am very happy with this scope (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/134719005/original). Coupled with the giant FLI PL16803 it has turned out to be as powerful and versatile as I had hoped.

It is light and easy to set up (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/134140809/original)

I wanted speed to go deep quick and I got it (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/141019883/original) and again (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/140517179/original)

I wanted wide fields and high resolution without mozaics and I got it (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/141019808/original) and again (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/141019817/original)

Out in the open night air, dew is also not a problem (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/134534743/original)

Many of you will remember my misfortune with a similar scope in the ASA N12 back in 2007, so in stark contrast I am pleased to be able to say that I have now seen enough of the Orion Optics AG12 to be able to say it is a keeper :thumbsup: So I guess I am happy to recommend it as a high performance imaging platform and I can't wait to finally get it under dark skies:clap:

If anyone is interested in getting one of these remarkable scopes (8", 10", 14" or 16" as well) for themselves, please email me and I am happy to pass on actual first hand user information on this powerful imaging platform ...and how you can secure one at a special Sidonio price :scared3: ;) :thumbsup:

m.sidonio@bigpond.com

Cheers

Mike

h0ughy
21-01-2012, 12:28 AM
its cloudy isnt it......... but i am in no way suffering scope envy (or camera envy) Honest...........

allan gould
21-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Surprise as Im imaging in Brisbane aNd its clear here. Nice and steady with Ha on the Tarantula. So glad your scope is a real winner but unless its really cheap I,ll remain a voyeur on your site Mike.

avandonk
21-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Actually Mike I was stunned when I made an animated gif of the same area of sky taken with your top end 6" refractor and the new AG12. As a test it was fair as the same person and camera produced both images. Even though it was early days with the AG12 the resolution was almost as good as your 6" refractor. This is a stunning result for optics as fast as this.

Your subsequent images are a real testament to the performance of your new system.

I would imagine that now you have tweaked everything the AG12 almost holds it own against the much slower refractor for resolution and trounces it for speed.

You are an evil man Mike after leading me into temptation and succeeding you are now tempting other innocent 'young' lads.

If I can produce images on a par with yours with my new system I will be very happy. It will act as a complement to others high end systems as my interest is very high quality wide field mosaics.

I vaguely remember that a quick test for a reflector in the sixties and seventies was the abilty to see the four trapezium stars in Orion. In those days anything bigger than 8" was considered huge!

Bert

strongmanmike
22-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Bert: Given the poor atmospheric conditions I have here in coastal Newcastle, yes, the quality of the images certainly suggests diffraction limited performance.

AL: As they say, quality is remembered long after price is forgotten ;)

Mike

multiweb
22-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Good to hear everything is ticking then. Another happy customer and superb pics to boot. Looking forward to more from a dark site :thumbsup:

supernova1965
22-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I think that your idea of light and easy to setup may be different than our idea of LIGHT
Mike

multiweb
22-01-2012, 09:52 AM
That looks like the AG11. Older heavier model.

DavidTrap
22-01-2012, 10:36 AM
If it's so light, why soooooo many counterweights?

The detail is truly impressive.

When are you going to run a day long workshop on your processing techniques?

DT

Barrykgerdes
22-01-2012, 10:47 AM
That was his first effort You should see the next

Screwdriverone
22-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Geez Mike!

Forget about me buying a new scope just like Mike's......

I need to buy a bigger bloody MONITOR just to FIT those images ON!!!!

I have to scroll sideways TWICE to see the full extent of an image on your website that is posted at 50% RESOLUTION!!!!!!!! :eyepop:

Great choice as a "grab and go" scope.....;)

In awe at the results....I am not worthy......

Cheers

Chris

Peter Ward
22-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Really? What about Solar imaging? ;)

Guess I'll find out what all the fast-f-ratio fuss is about when my AP 12" f3.8 RHA shows in about 10 days. :D

.....guaranteed to bring on some monsoonal weather :rain::windy::cloudy:

strongmanmike
22-01-2012, 04:25 PM
OK jokers :lol:....now to be fair on the portability of this scope and the strength needed to man handle it :rolleyes:...that photo is 10 years old now (was 150kg I guess :question:) so this lard-R's astronomer is but a shadow (ie soft & flabby) of his former self. The naked OTA is very light < 20Kg including the focuser support rings. The extra weight in my config comes from the massive FLI image train (Atlasfocuser, FW-5-7 & ProLine16803) plus the 80ED and Starlightexpress guide camera. Throw a DSLR or Starlightxpress imager and compact autoguider on there and it is a vastly different story :thumbsup:

Chris - you are worthy and yes a big monitor would be very handy indeed!

Com-on guys you need one! Even an AG8 will kick R's :thumbsup:

Mike

Mighty_oz
22-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Mike u do produce a lot of great images, and the current rig u are using is fantastic, are u now selling these scopes as well ? Because it sure seems that way by what u are saying in this thread :)

Marcus.

Peter Ward
22-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Marcus...hush you mouth...perhaps just Valvoline, Wild Turkey, Toyota, Telstra? ...

:lol:

Mighty_oz
22-01-2012, 09:27 PM
:rofl:

strongmanmike
22-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Not as such (well kind of :question:). I am just so happy with the performance of the AG12 and after the tragic demise of the ASA N12 (from where I thought I'd never recover). I am so grateful for how good Orion Optics have been to deal with that I am happy to sing their praises and I want other Aussies to feel the joy I do - it's great. As a result of my happiness I have agreed to, shall we say... actively encourage people to consider them - no harm in that, I have provided the pudding as proof :)

Mike

Peter Ward
23-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Yep.... just just spreading the love.... No problem Mikey, just ring the bell like John Laws and you'll be fine :)

Paul Haese
23-01-2012, 12:00 PM
No harm in that Mike. Would love to pick up one of these but I have my hands full at present.

cventer
23-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Give it a few months and euro will be on par with aud. then we can all afford one!;)

strongmanmike
23-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes, you have some nice kit to get through, that's for sure :thumbsup:

True although you buy'em in GBP which is also closing in on 70c - the Aussie $ is strong so good times for buying foreign products in general :)

g__day
23-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Are you still mounting everything on the NJP or did you upgrade to a EM 400 Mike?

strongmanmike
23-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Still on the NJP, no problemo, unflappable mount that perfect tracking and guiding all night everynight :thumbsup:

Mike

Poita
26-01-2012, 02:17 AM
At 6,000 pounds for the OTA, I may have to wait a while before purchase, but it does look like a beastly imager.

strongmanmike
27-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Yes not a trivial investment but with the Aussie dollar so strong the delivery price, including GST and freight, remains under AU$10K for the basic OTA, that is very competitive against other high end OTA's of this size.

Mike