PDA

View Full Version here: : Email Hijacked ?

jakob
19-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Need help.
For 2 days now I'm getting Postmaster notifications of undeliverable emails. Mails I never sent to persons I don't know but with my address as the sender.

The mails appear to have been sent even with my PC's shut down.
I changed the password on my mail account but the emails are still coming.

Is there a remedy short of deleting the mailbox?

3 days ago I was unable to close the Browser and hat to use task manager to shut it down. This may have something to do with it.

Any help is apreciated, thanks.
Jakob

Octane
19-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Sounds like you have a trojan or a worm.

Have you ran the latest antivirus updates on your system?

Visit the Trend Micro web site and run their Housecall online scanner; see what it finds and remedy it. :)

H

rogerg
19-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Emails can be sent by anyone on behalf of anyone, with a few limitations, once you know how. You might have a Trojan, but if you check for that and have changed your password etc, it is likely someone is just using your address as one of thousands they are using to send spam or such and there's not much you can do about it. Just like they program the bot to send to thousands of random addresses they program they send on behalf of thousands. You will get the undeliverables because you are stated as the sender.

Roger.

The_bluester
19-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Yep. If it is happening while your machine is shut down it sounds more like spammers sending with spoofed email addresses than a virus related issue.

ZeroID
19-01-2012, 12:06 PM
As Paul states you have been spoofed. most likely not even your fault. Your email address has been 'harvested' from some website, email trail or someone elses PC and been used to spam others in the hope it might be seen as a trusted sender.
Pretty common and little you can do about it unfortunately. To minimise further situations I always send any dist list mail using BCC ( Blind Copy Circulation ).
Hope fully it will slow down in a while as the list becomes corrupted and blocked by others and the spammers will move on to another collection.
We see them all the time in the mail filters

mithrandir
19-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I regularly get a few days of email bounces from misconfigured mail servers after some low life decides to spoof one of my email addresses.

Mail servers are not supposed to accept mail for non-existent accounts, but less than competent postmasters never learn.

I know it isn't one of the regular windows trojans because I don't run windows.

I bounce every single one of them to SpamCop with the annotation that they are bounces, not simply spam, and eventually that mail server gets added to RFC ignorant.

jakob
19-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the advise.

I ran AVG, did not find anything.

It looks like someone collected my address and uses it as a sender.

Hope it will settle down soon.

Thank you all for the help.
Jakob.

vindictive666
20-01-2012, 08:01 AM
hi

you can allways contact your internet provider and they may be able to give you an other email account

i think i am able to get up to 5 accounts not really sure though

give them a call

i use a email checker mailwasher pro paid for version prechecks my emails keep the ones i want gets rid of the rest even before they get to my computer

:)

regards john

jakob
20-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks John,
Yes I can open another account but the pain in changing my contact details at umpteen locations!
Jakob

vindictive666
20-01-2012, 09:46 AM
hi

then i suggest trying mailwasher pro

http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro

regards john

snowyskiesau
20-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Referred to as 'joe jobs'
Someone sending spam with your email address as the sender. There's not a lot you can do about it short of changing your email address.